Welcome to Gaia! ::

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Bayonetta_Girl
You dont see kids using alchemy to try bring back a dead parent on cartoons just saying...
Or people being turned into human puppets
Anime is for the more mature and aged demagraphic?

I see people trying to bring back the dead and people getting turned into puppets in plenty of cartoons, the ******** are you on about?

Sure though, Doraemon is clearly only for the most mature people. 18+ only.
The Fullmetal Narcissist
So As I Pray
If people are going to b***h that a translation isn't 100% correct in a dub or official sub of an anime and then continue to go about using a botched western definition of a japanese word, then they aught to be slapped. Several times.

It's not necessarily calling cartoons anime though, it's more about calling anime cartoons and destroying the idea that there's any real difference outside of the origin of concept (because we all know all this s**t's outsourced through Korea anyways).

Which I'll do, and I'm right.

(I hit quote instead of edit)

So, for you, it really is just a matter of what the word's definition is.

I believe I've posed this compromise before... Let anime mean all animation, and adopt the word "Japanime" for the strictly Japanese stuff.

And if we were no longer separating the two in the forums, than that would solve everything, wouldn't it?
Before the term anime came to be in use it Japanese anime was called japanimation it was changed due to complaints of it sounding like a racial slur. Jap animation

mv 's Problem

Spicy Dog

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Does it really matter? It lets people know you're watching a specific type of cartoon, not like some random Futurama. Anime is indeed essentially Japanese cartoons, but people like to make that difference when they're talking about them. It's like calling sushi "sushi" instead of calling them "rolls" or something.
So As I Pray
Bayonetta_Girl
You dont see kids using alchemy to try bring back a dead parent on cartoons just saying...

I see people trying to bring back the dead and people getting turned into puppets in plenty of cartoons, the ******** are you on about?

well i live in new zealand so maybe we just have more sencership on programs i dont know

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Bayonetta_Girl
FullMetal Alchemist ran in Monthly Shonen Gangan. it's a shonen series, the shonen demographic targets preteen and teen boys. it's only one of the five demographics of anime out there and the most common because despite being targeted primarily at preteen and teen boys it often has a wider appeal than just its main demographic. some shonen primarily targets the younger half of the demographic, some the older half of the demographic, and some the whole demographic in general. however, to most of Japan most shonen anime is still considered to be for kids. (conversely, shonen manga is pretty popular with everyone and widely consumed without much bias against it, but that's partially because manga does so much better in Japan than anime does in general. in a busy culture without much spare time it's easy to slip in a chapter or two of manga reading now and then so that's part of the appeal.)

one of the other demographics are kodomomuke (aimed at little kids) which is more common in Japan than you'd expect. however, most of it has little appeal to anyone who isn't a little kid from Japan so you really don't hear or see much about them. however, a few do get talked about such as Pretty Cure, Astro Boy, Doraemon, Hello Kitty, Hamtaro, Maple Town, Ringing Bell, and a few others.

the rest are shojo (the same age demographic as shonen except for girls; like shonen some gets aimed at the younger end of the demographic, some the older end, some the whole demographic), and then there's seinen and josei aimed at adult men and women respectively. josei anime is uncommon, but recently there's been more anime adaptions of josei titles, however, looking at an overall trend in the past it was more common for josei manga to get a live action drama adaption than an anime one. seinen is more common than josei, but still is far less common than shonen or shojo.

Tiny Strawberry

8,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
It's not a big deal to me.
But if someone calls Avatar anime, to me, they used "anime" to describe an art style. Maybe even a storytelling style (where episodes can't stand alone--you need to have seen previous episodes).

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
spookyprincess
It's not a big deal to me.
But if someone calls Avatar anime, to me, they used "anime" to describe an art style. Maybe even a storytelling style (where episodes can't stand alone--you need to have seen previous episodes).
Japanese animation uses multiple styles tho, and there are anime out there that are episodic (where each episode can stand alone and you don't need to watch in order) so it's not like there's just one style of storytelling in Japanese animation either.

Shy Prophet

Most Important thing about it is they have big difference

Lonely Kitten

12,915 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Mystical Adversary 25
Eww what a weeb

Tipsy Tipper

9,350 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Fullmetal does raise a good point. It doesn't matter what you call it, it is still animation.

The Style in the animation will vary even between ANIME and AMERICAN CARTOONS. You can notice differences and similarities in both.

I most anime, but I noticed I won't like a lot of American cartoons... That might be because we have a completely different culture than Japan does and so that changes what will be put on air/developed. So, that's pretty much the difference. The Culture of a country vs another.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Mugetsu Ookamiza
as far as I'm concerned I'd be happy if we just called it all animation. having different slang terms for anime from different places just leads to a lot of wankery over which is "better" or "more mature" much like how there's wankery between the manga and comic fandoms when it's all just comics when it comes down to it.

Yes. This.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
So As I Pray
Bayonetta_Girl

Example of a cartoon that does those things: The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.
Doraemon is an amazing children's anime. The person who says all anime is for adults has not watched enough anime.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff