Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply Theist to Atheist Q&A
Something to believe in Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grand Moff Locket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:19 pm
Your new name is Jane, Timo.

100 cool points to anyone who gets that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:23 pm
Timo89
I like the way you put that. Do you want me to post that lil ditty in my journal too? Sorry about the inactivity. I'll be gone from tomorrow to the 13th for vacation.
But I have to disagree with the dangerous part. This happens to be one of the most confortable places for me to post. Anyway that's not the point. ^^; I really appreciate the support.

^.^ Glad ya feel this is a comfortable place to post. I think it would be amusing if you wrote a mock journal entry as if it was indeed some Natural Geographic thing. I would larf.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:06 pm
Lock The Cards

I'm guessing it's based on the Tarzan story?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:07 pm
[_caustic_]
Timo89
I like the way you put that. Do you want me to post that lil ditty in my journal too? Sorry about the inactivity. I'll be gone from tomorrow to the 13th for vacation.
But I have to disagree with the dangerous part. This happens to be one of the most confortable places for me to post. Anyway that's not the point. ^^; I really appreciate the support.

^.^ Glad ya feel this is a comfortable place to post. I think it would be amusing if you wrote a mock journal entry as if it was indeed some Natural Geographic thing. I would larf.
Perhaps I could, but only after I meet my goal. 3nodding  

Timo.exe

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:17 pm
Lock The Cards

Goodall? Jane Goodall?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:10 pm
I might as well reply as well. n_n

Why are you atheist?

Because the idea of a god sittin' up in the sky, calling the shots, sounds just plain stupid. (No offense.) I've never seen a god, heard a god, and never in a million years will I ever do what a book tells me to do. Unless it's a really good book. I've never read the Bible in its entirety. I think it's a bunch of mythology, just like the dead religions before.

I'm atheist because I don't think here is a god. I don't think there ever will be a god. The Greeks and Romans thought there were a slew of gods, and when their empires died, so did their religions. Civilizations after them "knew" the Greeks and Romans were wrong, and came up with Christianity. When our civilization dies, the people after us will think we were wrong too.

Where you born into an atheist lifestyle?

No. My mother is a Lutheran, but never imposed her religion on us. My parents told us that we were free to chose.

Did you leave a faith to "join" atheism?

Nope. Mever had a faith to begin with.

Have you sought other things first?

Yes. When I was younger, I thought that religion was mandatory. I went to a Catholic church, a Lutheran church and a Christian church with friends. I hated it. None of it made sense. So, through the years, I did extensive research concerning every religion I could find. Nothing made sense to me.

Then I asked myself, "Why, if there is truly a god, does everyone have a different idea? Why isn't any of it the same?" I decided that there was no proof enough for me to believe in anything. I then proclaimed myself atheist.

Feelings on Christianity?

If it drives Bush, then I'm not so fond of it. But seriously, people do horrible, loathesome things because of religion, Christian or not. I hate Bible-thumping whack-jobs that want to make everything homogeneous. Let's all be the same! NOT.

As long as everyone is sane, nice, and accepting, I don't care what religion you are or aren't. Some Christians are good, some are bad. I don't know enough about the particular religion to comment.

But yeah...  

Lucifer Force

Sparkling Senshi

Xiporah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:52 pm
I could have sworn I answered this post. Hmm.

The long and the short of it: I was raised agnostic, as was my mother. My father was raised Methodist, but resented going to church as a child, so is not a church goer in his adult years.

My grandparents took me to their chuch when I spent the weekend with them, but all I remember is wondering how in the hell everyone knew the tunes to the hymns, and kicking the back of the pews waiting for the children to be excused to sunday school. I do not remember talking about God or anything in sunday school, just the little arts and crafts.

I said bedtime prayers when I was a child, and felt extremely stupid and silly while doing so, since I ever did was ask God to bless the boys I had a crush on in school.

When I was 13 and visiting my grandparents (same ones) out in Missouri after they moved out there, my grandmother called my mother and asked her if she would mind if I was baptised. My mother said she didn't mind but it would have to be my decision.

My grandmother had a reverand guy come out to the house. I remember being very uncomfortable sitting on the couch, desperately clamoring for excuses why I didn't want to go though with the procedure. I was (and am to this day) phobic of drowning, and the thought of being dunked under water without holding my nose almost made me piss myself. They told me I could hold my nose, so then I moved onto the excuse of i didn't want to mess up my hair, which was an out and out lie...I could, and still could care less if my hair gets mussed up.

Truth was, I thought it was dorky and wanted nothing to do with it. Anything my grandmother thought was important and cool was obviously dorky and uneeded. I was an Athiest then, but just didn't know what it meant or how to express it, or even waht it was called.

In Highschool, I turned extremely anti-christian, and was very hateful. I didn't really direct much of it at people (I wanted to avoid trouble and fights) but I resented Christianity greatly. I did not tell any of my family this, as I lived in a non-church going household, the subject never came up. As I grew older and matured, those hateful feelings have died down into tolerance.

Religion is alien to me. I don't understand it and was never raised with an understanding of it. Hearing people talk about God and the bible makes me extremely uncomfortable. Being in churches feels weird to me and even picking up a bible make me feel strange too.

My last boyfriend was a devout christian, and since I don't consider myself a biggot, I started to date him, but I do believe though he was tolerant of my beliefs (at the time I was dabbling in wicca and not believing one bit of it) I was unable to get over my own feelings and ended the relationship.

My general feelings on Christianity are somewhat hesitant. I try to avoid it usually. I think people should be free to believe and practice whatever they want without my opinion in the mix. I don't like to debate about it. I didn't do research on it, I didn't discover it though means other then it's something that I have always been.

Interestingly enough, the only religion I have been around that hasn't made me feel woobly and strange is Judism...and NOONE in my family is Jewish.

Hmm. Go Figure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:20 am
Why are you atheist?
Because I haven't found any solid proof that they is a god or any other higher being.

Where you born into an atheist lifestyle?
Yes, my mother is.

Did you leave a faith to "join" atheism?
No.

Have you sought other things first?
Nope.

Feelings on Christianity?
Christains hate to much. Different religons and gays get it the worst.  

Gogonoel

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:25 pm
All very good and most well-written. But I'm going to be very bold right now and make some un-biased comments.
Gogonoel, you've made some simplistic, yet short comments. That makes plenty of room for assumptions that would seem unfounded. Though these are common they tend to get out of hand and I can come up with plenty with just those few words you posted, before I move on to my main point, would you elaborate upon your ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:41 pm
...um, is that a no?  

Timo.exe

Timo.exe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:14 am
Anywho. Timo's updated his journal to the Christian's side of the story.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:55 pm
Timo89

Cool.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

[Satan]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:17 am
Timo89
I have a feeling this essay of yours will be amazing.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:22 pm
Reasons why I am an atheist...hmm...This''ll take some organization.

First of all, just to get it out of the way, I am an atheist because I believe it''s more or less the right way to be. This is understandable as no one would believe in anything they didn''t believe was to some extent true, right? However, I would be loathe to say that I am absolutely right about everything. To me, nothing is certain.

This brings me to some complicated reasons...

First, you could argue that my atheism stems from my childhood and my parentage. Both of my parents are atheists and do-or-die skeptics. They raised my sister and I using the knowledge and experience they acquired while viewing the world from an atheistic perspective. As a child, I believed my parents knew and were right about everything and followed their example. As I''ve got older, however, my philosophy has strayed somewhat from theirs. I''m not nearly so cynical. Though I would say my parents had a great influence on my beliefs, I would not say that I was therefore incapable of making my own observations.

Second, I''ve come to believe that the level of belief and/or skepticism a person holds places them on a wide spectrum. On one end, you have people who will believe in practically anything with conviction (i.e. God-types, ghosts, vampires, sprituality, homeopathy, etc) and on the other end you have people who have trouble believing in anything completely (i.e. me). Where one falls on this spectrum is not determined by decisions one made by his or her own accord, but by genetics and biochemistry (basically, your mental make-up). I also believe that homosexuality occurs on a similar spectrum.

Third, because of my skeptical mind, I cannot believe in anything that can be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. Unlike many people, uncertainty about things such as existence, the universe, and meaning make me feel comfortable. I fear that if I were to be secure in the assured knowledge of the big question, it would take all of the mystery out of my existence. My purpose in life, in a way, is to acquire information through my own investigation, not through the unsubstantiated teachings of an 1800-year-old testament. Of course, it''s frustrating that I will never know everything there is to know. I will never know enough to successfully prove the nonexistence of God. However, if I DID know enough, I would no longer be able to debate the subject, which would be an awful state of affairs.

Now as to the way I feel about Christianity and so on...I support it. I''m not going to sit here and say that Christians are blood-thirsty, ignorant, hate-filled, mystified idiots because they''re not - no more than all atheists are hollow, unfeeling, meaningless, depressed, pompous idiots. Religion has its place in the world. For many it is a very comforting part of life and provides community. All religions promote good nature, good will, and compassion in their teachings. Yes, religion has been used as an excuse for hate and division between groups, but what is "atheism" if not another category that separates the population?

I find religions fascinating in the same way I find ancient legends fascinating. The stories from the Bible, the Koran, and those of the Hindu faith are particularly interesting to me (hurrah for Krishna!). No one can convince me that religion has brought naught but ill to this world.

Nonetheless, televangalists REALLY scare me...no one can convince me they''re genuine.  

Stonerose_Mulligan

AiRilakkuma

1,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:50 pm
(i copy and pasted it from the other topic "why i don't believe in god" because i'm to lazy to re-type it out again, but yes this is my opinion)

This may sound stupid but, as a child, the hard ships of finding out that Santa, The Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny were fake, and just a way for parents to per-sway their children into doing what they say, and giving them the fear that a fat old man can see them doing ANYTHING, brushing their teeth for bribes of money and a lower dentist bill, and in the no way related to the whole "Jesus died and rose 3 days" later transformed into a bunny...i turned into a conspiracy theorist. My whole thought of "god" turned into "My parents are just telling me this bullshit so I'll be good to people and they won't have to put up with me, then when i get old like them and have children of my own they'll tell me that it was all just a thing to make the kids obey them". I never told anyone this but i always had that feeling of doubt that a "OH GREAT GOD" was out their doing amazing miracles, when people around me were being abused, killed, stolen from their homes and family's, gruesomely dismembered and spread through forests (dads friend), starving to death, fights, rape, cancer, ect,. Why wasn't he helping those people! But people were always bragging on TV about how hey had a head ache for 3 years and god magically helped them because they prayed, i mean, no thanks to the doctors who found the tumor, with the technological advancements in health science.
For the next 6 years i still attended CCD, and continued to ask the teacher question upon question that they couldn't answer, or if they did, they struggled for a answer, and eventually told me to go pray, and god would tell me....well he didn't. Or they would do the famous "answer your question with another question" which just pissed me off and led me to even tougher questions for them.
Eventually in about 7th grade i started considering myself an agnostic, then learned a bit about evolution, genes, earth, ect, and finally gave up the whole theory of god, and considered myself a full on Atheist in 8th grade ( i was kinda forced and bribed to make my confirmation with a lobster dinner and the WE PAY $200 A YEAR FOR YOU TO GO TO CCD YOU'RE MAKING IT, NAO! scream )
Well that's about it, sorry it's kinda long, no like anyone's going to read it anyway. rolleyes heart

Just random stuff for me to throw out their:
•I know their is no way of truly knowing if god is real or not, no test you can do to see if he'll save you or let you fall into your pit of death.
•If god was real (in my opinion) i think he would be more hands on in proving that he was real, and making that stuff in his book that he imprinted on his followers to write.
•If god was the all great knowing and controlling god then, why did he make angels that he knew would disobey him and make angels and satin, and demons.
•How do you know that your god won't be thrown away in 1000 years like Zeus the greek god, the many gods of china, & the temple gods of japan.
•one religion always thinks it's better than the other.
•How do you know you're getting the true facts of the bible from how many times its been translated, preached, taught, and re-written.

Well i'm super tired and its 12:48 So i'm going to bed, nightie night and feel free to comment or PM me. smile  
Theist to Atheist Q&A

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff