Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:44 pm
Breytast Vindar

User Image

It is the season of changing winds. Among the Stormborn, which is more or less a meritocracy, this is a time when anybody can attempt to better their station in the pride by proving their worth. This is how the pride ensures that those most fit to lead, the smartest and strongest of the pride, are not being led by inferiors.

During this time, and this time only, a reaver may challenge a captain for leadership of their band. A freeborn may challenge a priestess or lawspeaker for their position. A thrall may challenge a freeborn. A captain may challenge a warlord.

In some cases the challenged lion will lose their position to their challenger and in others only the challenger's position can change. Interested? Read on!

Part 1|Part 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:44 pm
It was during moments like this that Brynja hated the fact that she was not a seer. Not only was she not a seer, but she was a priestess who was not a seer. This made life rather difficult at times - especially when Thorgrim was breathing down her neck, urging her to make the announcement that would allow for challengers to come up against Aesir. Her dear uncle had plans, and they rested on her shoulders for now. He could not move forward until she'd finished the task she'd been given - and while it was a task she looked forward to, Brynja did not appreciate being badgered at every turn.

Being a priestess was part brilliant acting, part intuition, part confidence - and true, honest belief in what one saw. Visions would make life much easier for the priestess - visions of the future, more specifically - and a deal had been struck with Thorgrim. She would give him the announcement he craved, and he would bring her a thrall. Not just any thrall - a seer thrall; one that would have the visions that Brynja could not.

As she moved through the pride, Brynja's bi-colored gaze was met by members of the pride. She enjoyed the flash of fear that ignited in the depths of most - and more than that, she thrived on the intrigue that flashed in the eyes of many of the males. She was not a beautiful lioness, but she was powerful. Very powerful, from a powerful family. Brynja did not mingle with freeborn, usually - there were a few that she tolerated. A scant few. In truth, Brynja preferred the company of herself - and she'd found that Nadja was not such a terrible lioness to be around. A capable Priestess, of which there were few.

As if the members of the pride knew what it meant when a Priestess moved throughout their ranks, the lions trailed after Brynja, forming a half-circle around her as she drew up to a stop at the traditional celebratory grounds. She saw Thorgrim moving throughout the swell of bodies - his blue eyes snapped with something like pride. This was an important moment. This would change everything - and Brynja had her eyes on the prize.

She wanted to be Head Priestess. She wanted Morrigan's head on a platter, in a manner of speaking. A more worthless Priestess had never walked the earth, of that Brynja was certain.

Brynja narrowed her eyes and gazed about the crowd. Many familiar faces - family among them - watched her curiously. She lifted her chin before speaking.

"The season of changing winds is upon us," she paused for theatrical effect. "If any among you wish to rise to the challenge - if any among you think yourself worthy of leading fearless warriors - now is the time." Brynja fell silent, quietly watching as those that surrounded her spoke among themselves. Her eyes met her uncle's; he gave a brief smile and a dip of his head before slipping out of sight.

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:45 pm
Rules

Settle in and get comfy. There are a lot of them.

1. Your character must have completed 5 RPs since joining the pride to challenge anyone.
If your character doesn't have that many and you still want to challenge, you'd best get cracking.

2. Your character may only challenge one other character one time during this season.
If they lose, they'll have to try again next time.

3. A character who has won a new rank through challenging may not be challenged.
There are also no challenge-backs within a season. Wait until next time.

4. A defending character can be challenged an infinite number of times, but they must take place in the order they're posted in this thread.
So if Creepy McPriestess is challenged by Hopeful McUppity, Sneaky McSeerface doesn't get to challenge until that one is over. If Hopeful McUppity wins, Sneaky McSeerface cannot challenge them, and instead has to find someone else to challenge.

5. A person must be informed that their character is being challenged.
This is why the form asks for a screenshot of a PM doing so as well as requires you to quote the owner of the challenged SoA.

6. If you do not respond to a notification of a challenge within one week, your character automatically loses.
That's why you have to start the challenge RP when you issue the challenge as well as including all those other proofs. So that I can verify that the person has indeed been informed and did not respond.

7. A character may only challenge people of certain ranks, and both lions' ranks may not change even with a victory.
Thralls may only challenge reavers to become freeborn. The reaver will not lose their status for losing.
Only reavers may only challenge captains of their own band to become captain. The captain will not lose their captaincy for losing, but they will lose their authority over that band.
Only freeborn may challenge lawspeakers and priestesses. The lawspeaker/priestess will lose their position.
Only a priestess may challenge the high priestess. The high priestess will become a priestess if she loses.
Only a lawspeaker may challenge the first speaker. The first speaker will become a lawspeaker if they lose.
Only captains or reavers may challenge the warlord. The warlord will lose his position and it is up to the captain whether or not to kill him.

8. Cubs and adolescents may neither challenge nor be challenged. The same goes for non-lions.
Because there is no honor to be found in fighting weaker lions.

9. A non-thrall challenger will take a -2 to their overall roll. A thrall challenger will take a -3.
This is for reasons of realism, and also to make these challenges mean something. This is also non-negotiable.

How It Works

Actually, the challenge itself works pretty much like an askorun. Each participant rolls 5d4 and the highest roll (factoring in handicaps) is the winner.

More specifically, especially for those who are not challenging for positions which can be won through violence (I'm looking at you priestesses and lawspeakers), the two participants are usually set a challenge or competition by their peers or peers-to-be which is designed to prove their worthiness. For a lawspeaker, this might mean being required to recite portions of law, or perhaps pass judgment on an imaginary trial, or recall the ancestry of a particular lion for a certain number of generations. A priestess might be required to perform a foretelling, or describe how to cast or remove a curse, or arrange a sacrifice to a particular god for a particular purpose.

If you would rather have me, the overworked pride owner, come up with challenges for people to do, you may forgo the rolling and the victor will be determined by whoever performs the required tasks to my satisfaction, but please let me know if that's what you want done, and keep in mind that it'll be done on my time. I'll probably send you on scavenger hunts.

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

Questions &c

Can't my characters be immune? I'm just starting school!
So am I! I'm beginning grad school and taking all online courses, which I've never done in my life, working, and doing all those other things people do when they're not pretending to be lions. We all have personal lives. These are just pixel lions. No need to get stressed if your pixel pretty doesn't have the rank you want for a while.

But I don't want my precious Picklesnerp to lose her coveted position as a priestess! She's the bestest priestess ever!
Well, that's the way things go. She's welcome to try to challenge for her position the during the next breytast vindar. This isn't a one-time thing.

You mean even if Thunder-Rex Mauler got to continue captaining his band this time, there's going to be another one of these things in the future?
Yes. All this is in the pride info, you know. The bit about anyone being able to challenge for any position. I assume you knew about it when you apped your character.

Well, when's the next one? I'm gonna be ready!
I like your attitude! But these things have only a very general schedule and it's top secret. (Meaning I haven't really thought that far ahead). It'll be at least a year ICly though. What with this being a season and all.

Why do the challengers have handicaps?
Because we're assuming that the incumbent has had training and experience that the challenger has not. In the future, for lions who have lost their position during this season and are trying to reclaim it, the handicap may be waived, but that doesn't apply to anyone this time around.

I thought you said anybody could challenge for any rank. Why can't my wild dog challenge the warlord?
Because the warlord would laugh at him and refuse to fight him. And even if he somehow managed to kill the warlord, no one would follow him. When we say the Stormborn is a meritocracy, that really only applies to lions.

I think this is a stupid idea that negates all my RP and utterly ruins my plots/plans/life!
I'm sorry to hear that, and while you're entitled to your opinion, I happen to like it and I'm in charge.

Does my character's JRP count toward the five?
Yes! You may certainly count your character's JRP. In fact, if your character has managed to lose their askorun multiple times, those tries count, too. This also applies to RPs in which thralls are captured.

Rogue SRPs (aka, a viking with no specified band) count for the five rps to challenge, yes?
Yes they certainly do.

Form

If you have decided that your character is going to pit their skills against another to seek advancement in the pride, use this form and post it in this thread.

[size=17][b][color=limegreen]You keep what you kill.[/color][/b][/size]
[size=11][b]Challenger:[/b] [your lion's name], [your lion's current rank]
[b]Challenged:[/b] [name of the lion being challenged] (owner name), [that lion's rank]
[b]Required RPs:[/b] (must be with the lion challenging)
[url=]link 1[/url]
[url=]link 2[/url]
[url=]link 3[/url]
[url=]link 4[/url]
[url=]link 5[/url]
[b]Have you informed the challenged?[/b] [url=screenshot of PM]Yes[/url]/No[/size]
[b]Challenge RP:[/b] [url=]link[/url]
[quote="name of challenged lion's owner"][/quote]

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:52 am
You keep what you kill.
Challenger: Jakyra, Thrall
Challenged: Erlendr (Lorne_Sionn), Reaver
Required RPs:
link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5
Have you informed the challenged? Yes

Challenge RP: link
Lorne_Sionn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:57 am
You keep what you kill.
Challenger: Nadezhda, Freeborn
Challenged: Azurine (Hotaru-Neko), Priestess
Required RPs:
link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5

Hotaru-Neko

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm
You keep what you kill.
Challenger: Hroarr, Reaver
Challenged: Kondo (Hopefolly), Captain
Required RPs:
link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5

Hopefolly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 am
It has been a week since I issued my challenge to Lorne. Does that mean I should post to get Jakyra re-certed as freeborn? What should I include in my re-certing post?  

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:26 pm
Princess_Feylin
It has been a week since I issued my challenge to Lorne. Does that mean I should post to get Jakyra re-certed as freeborn? What should I include in my re-certing post?
Yep. You can post for her re-cert. Just link back to this page.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm
You keep what you kill.
Challenger: Njal, Reaver
Challenged: Aesir, Princess_Feylin, Warlord
Required RPs:
link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5