Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Losing interest in the con circuit-How to get the mojo back?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm
As of last spring, I've been losing interest in going to conventions as well as cosplaying.

Unsure why as I used to relish in attending these while in cosplay, etc. I saw online and it is due to two reasons:

Depression or the fact that I'm growing out of it.

Oddly enough, I know people in the circuit who have been doing the convention/cosplay thing for much longer than I have and yet they can't wait to dive in time and time again while I feel less and less enthusiastic while feeling more invisible.

Help?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:24 pm
No joke, I'm experiencing the same thing right now.

The best medicine: take a break from it.
Go to one con a year or just go to the ones you absolutely love going to. Skip the ones that give you headaches or you're only going to be with friends.

I had to cut a lot of cons out of my list because of this reason, and falling out of cosplaying is rough too. Now I'm focusing on school and Lolita fashion until my love for it comes back again.

Some people are only into it for a few years then move on, it happens.  

Ouja Akuma

Wealthy Genius

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am
Well as someone who is in it and having a sister who is up and down, maybe it's a fad. Something that you like for a while, but then grow out of it. The only problem with this is that you seem to still want to go. So there must be a different reason. Here's what it may or may not be a reason.

Maybe you do it too much and you need to cut your schedule down. The most con's I went to in one year was three. I've cut it more to suit me better that I'm only going one or twice a year. That and one of the cons I cut out is a Sci-fi con. I think going to a con should be a treat and a reward for what you've done for that year. I even rewarded myself one time because I made it to Japan that year.

Maybe you need some friends to go with? I don't like going to cons by myself. I prefer being with friends or knowing I have friends there. That's why I make sure to go to at least one con every year (Kuroneko Con). At that con I know almost everyone's name or at least the people who matter (AKA the committee, venders, and most of artist ally).

Maybe you should look over your costumes. Have you been creating/buying new ones? I love showing off my new outfits. It kind of feels like a fulfillment of doing something. I love doing photoshoots all the time. People in the public notice me and go up and ask me questions. Then I get the fulfillment of spreading the word about what being a nerd is and I've never had a negative comment by someone who didn't look like a whore (someone commented at Wal-mart that was so fat and wearing skinny shorts. I think went blind).

Maybe you can ask those people who've been in it for years about it too.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 pm
Sifen Yamishi
As of last spring, I've been losing interest in going to conventions as well as cosplaying.

Unsure why as I used to relish in attending these while in cosplay, etc. I saw online and it is due to two reasons:

Depression or the fact that I'm growing out of it.

Oddly enough, I know people in the circuit who have been doing the convention/cosplay thing for much longer than I have and yet they can't wait to dive in time and time again while I feel less and less enthusiastic while feeling more invisible.

Help?

Sifen-san, a few questions for you to consider:
1. How many cons do you go to a year? As already mentioned you could take a break and only go to the cons that you like the most.
2. Other than doing and creating Cosplay outfits what are the other reasons why you have gone to the cons.
3. How long have you been going to the cons. If it's always the same ones each year consider trying to go to other cons that you have never been to before.
4. Do you always go to cons wearing a Cosplay outfit. If so consider going to one as yourself.
5. Do you always participate or go to just certain events, etc at cons. Consider trying something new.
6. What are your favorite Anime / Manga series. Do you Cosplay for just a certain series or a couple of series. Consider checking out other series. You may be surprised what you can find.

I recently have gotten interested in Anime series (In a big way) and Cosplaying (since 2009). Going to the cons for me is like going into another world where most people seem to be happy. Just seeing other people happy make me happy. Think about what has excited you in the past about cons and reflect on it. Also a suggestion: Next time you go to a con look around you and check out the people. Seeing them having a good time might help cheer you up.

I hope that this helps you. If you answer the questions please post them on this thread. The answers may help others out.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 pm
smithers456

Sifen-san, a few questions for you to consider:
1. How many cons do you go to a year? As already mentioned you could take a break and only go to the cons that you like the most.
2. Other than doing and creating Cosplay outfits what are the other reasons why you have gone to the cons.
3. How long have you been going to the cons. If it's always the same ones each year consider trying to go to other cons that you have never been to before.
4. Do you always go to cons wearing a Cosplay outfit. If so consider going to one as yourself.
5. Do you always participate or go to just certain events, etc at cons. Consider trying something new.
6. What are your favorite Anime / Manga series. Do you Cosplay for just a certain series or a couple of series. Consider checking out other series. You may be surprised what you can find.

I recently have gotten interested in Anime series (In a big way) and Cosplaying (since 2009). Going to the cons for me is like going into another world where most people seem to be happy. Just seeing other people happy make me happy. Think about what has excited you in the past about cons and reflect on it. Also a suggestion: Next time you go to a con look around you and check out the people. Seeing them having a good time might help cheer you up.

I hope that this helps you. If you answer the questions please post them on this thread. The answers may help others out.

1. How many cons do you go to a year?
2 conventions a year.
One in May/June, the other one during Labor Day weekend.

Mainly to catch up with long-distance friends and as of late, to have a holiday with the girlfriend.

Since 2006.
Took a break from one or the other a few years back. It just made me crave for more conventions.

I'd go to one during spring break, but it cuts close to midterms for spring semester.
There's another one in November, but it'll cut close to prepping for finals week.

Plus I'm restricted to conventions in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Used to.
I tend to just throw stuff together or not wear outfits altogether nowadays.
Doesn't help.

I normally went to visit with voice actors, etc.
Skipped out on that lately.
Now, it's mainly to go to panels that friends hold, to support them as well as hang about at the arcade.

I've done "Rockman.EXE", moved on to "FMA", "Hetalia", "Kuroshitsuji" and a few others.

Thought "Kuroshitsuji" and cosplaying with the girlfriend might revive the spark for cosplay/cons again.
It brought us together, but the spark fizzled out.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:57 pm
Sifen-san,

Going to School is definately a priority. I can understand that. Helping out at panels sounds great if it's supporting a freind. Have you considered volunteering in general at a con? Being restricted to one city is tough. I live in Michigan and have considered going to cons in Chicago, Cleveland, and Columbus. Perhaps you could save up some money and go to just one con in another city or state. It could be looked at as an adventure or a vacation depending on where. Since you're going to school you could just focus on that and not go to cons until you're done with your studies. In the meantime you could check out other Anime series to see if any catch your interest.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

MadHatterzMouse

Magical Librarian

51,525 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 pm
Sounds like you go now more to hang out with friends and such kind of like I do. I basically when through something similar, however I think I did manage 6/7 cons in one year (all in Texas). I won't ever do that again.
But I think in my case it was earlier friends who burned me out on conventions and cosplaying (and drama).

Basically I don't cosplay anymore due to time and money restrictions... though mostly time now. And I only have 2 cons I really deal with now due to timing and such. The one thing that has kept me in them so far is volunteering. I enjoy the people I work with on staff at the 2 I still attend and volunteer at.

I will say, since I am pretty sure I know which cons you are referring to that if you would like to try volunteering I can help you with finding a department you would like to work. I used to work the earlier one, but I am tied into working a sci-fi convention the weekend before in Houston so it's harder to attend the may/june one. My personal favorite is still the one over labor day, it's also the one I've worked at the longest in my dept.

Like Smithers said, maybe try checking out new series and you may find inspiration. I know I kind of did the opposite, I re-watched my favorite older series and got back into anime again. I guess it also helped I still had a couple manga series I was keeping up with.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 pm
You could try helping out in cosplay events during one of your cons. No guarantees, of course, but it's a lot of fun, and interacting with all the other people helping to run the show can be a lot of fun. Doing something new at a con will also help you from falling into a rut.  

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:03 pm
I'll post this here:

Volunteered at last year's AFEST. It was okay, but it was SO boring.

gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:48 am
Sifen Yamishi
I'll post this here:

gonk

You could try being in an event, like Cosplay Chess. Everyone pulling together to make something work is very satisfying, and it still won't take up so much time that you don't get to do anything else.  

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 pm
Sifen Yamishi
I'll post this here:

gonk

Sifen, I imagine that you have interests other than Cosplaying and going to cons. Perhaps you're burned out and need a change for a while. If you share other interests with your friends you could participate in those for a while. Also you could come up with a brand new interest to try. For me it was Cosplaying that became my new interest. You could concentrate on your relationship with your girlfriend if you are still going out with her. I've noticed during my brief time going to conventions that they come up with new things every now and then. After taking a break and doing other things for a while you could then go to cons again to see what's new. Something to think about.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:11 pm
Thanks for the help. I have talked to my girlfriend about this and she's willing to give the conventions up just so she do other things when in town.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 am
It does happen. Interests change as the years go by.

I'm in a similar position right now. For me, part of it's been my friends, who I'm slowly drifting away from, which made cons not as fun as they could have been.

Right now, I'm head of one of the departments for Tekkoshocon, which is my local con. It's really helped as I've created new friends, and the con experience has changed more to fit my professonalist needs (that's complicated; please don't ask).

But that doesn't work for everyone. If you need to take a break or stop, don't feel bad it does happen. Or, instead of going for a full weekend, maybe just go for one day.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:24 pm
I know this is like a billion years late, but I went through the same thing. Cut down to 2 cons instead of y usual 4 a year, did not go to events and such for a while. I think for me it was just I got tired of seeing 80 narutos at a con, then the next con half the cosplayers are from a certain different anime.
@3@ they lacked variety, I am going to actually try my 1st "actual" cosplay this year I have yet to have seen any1 with this character at cons so I don't know what will happen.
Hopefully I make new friends  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out