Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
What do you do for new years?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:31 am
What do you do to celebrate the new year? Stay up till midnight, new year resolutions?

A few years before i was born my aunt (who was wicca at the time) read about a thing on the internet. Since then we've bin doing it. Every new years eve we make "dolls" out of old papers, trash, photos, ect. that represent everything we don't want to happen in t he new year. Like if you want to lose weight your doll will be fat. Then an hour or so before midnight one by one we tell everyone about our effigy doll (unless its personal and you don't want to say) then we'll throw it into the fire pit and watch it burn. I guess the ashes are suppose to go up to the gods and make your resolutions come true.
Here is a picture of last years effigys
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:59 pm
That's an interesting way to go about it- how well has it worked? Do you keep track?

For me- at 00:01 I am filing for State Financial Aid for college, but we usually celebrate and do a little magic- what makes ours different is that we build a positive sympathetic link instead of a negative one.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:58 pm
Getting drunk.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 pm
We're having a video game party at one of my friend's house. Last year there was a lot of Rock Band and some M:tG(to get my ex's brother to stfu because he kept asking why my friend didn't have Halo cat_rolleyes ).  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:23 am
We really don't have a tradition but we were the only kids in the street growing up and so just after midnight my brother and would run outside banging pot lids with spoons and yelling "Happy New Year!" This year's going to be rather quiet because for one, we're a lot older now and also there's no fun in celebrating knowing that my grandmother's still in hospital and won't be able to join us.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:58 am
Don't know what I'm doing yet. Husband hasn't heard if he has to work yet for sure or not, but his parents offered to babysit for us, so we might go out and do something (which we haven't really done in years).  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:57 am
Esiris
That's an interesting way to go about it- how well has it worked? Do you keep track?

For me- at 00:01 I am filing for State Financial Aid for college, but we usually celebrate and do a little magic- what makes ours different is that we build a positive sympathetic link instead of a negative one.

We do it every year, the only years its weird is when my aunt can't host the party so we do it at my parents friends house but all the other guests beside my family and our friends just look at us like we're weird.
As for the resolutions... i don't know, my moms usually work, but i don't really keep track of mine (or make resolutions i can't keep)  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:45 am
Staring Berry

We do it every year, the only years its weird is when my aunt can't host the party so we do it at my parents friends house but all the other guests beside my family and our friends just look at us like we're weird.
As for the resolutions... i don't know, my moms usually work, but i don't really keep track of mine (or make resolutions i can't keep)

I was curious because of some stuff about how the brain understands things like mantras and stuff.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

MaeveAisling

6,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:30 pm
My family usually has a mini party but since my mom is going to work and such it's going to be an uneventful new years cry .  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:09 pm
iKillCaustic--uKillMe
We really don't have a tradition but we were the only kids in the street growing up and so just after midnight my brother and would run outside banging pot lids with spoons and yelling "Happy New Year!" This year's going to be rather quiet because for one, we're a lot older now and also there's no fun in celebrating knowing that my grandmother's still in hospital and won't be able to join us.

She wouldn't want to know she ruined your holiday. Im not saying forget about grandma but don't let it ruin the night. Plus the older you get the more fun new years eve partys can be smile  

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:39 pm
Pop some crackers drink some sparkling juice and watch the ball drop with some family and friends.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 am
Staring Berry
iKillCaustic--uKillMe

She wouldn't want to know she ruined your holiday. Im not saying forget about grandma but don't let it ruin the night. Plus the older you get the more fun new years eve partys can be smile

Only one problem with that - I don't drink and I don't socialize.  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:29 pm
For most of my life Ive hated New Years with a passion!

Recently I have been enjoying the past two new years thanks to a certain friend in my life but New Years still isn't on my most favorite day list.

This year I do have a party with a friend so it won't be a waste.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:45 pm
Oh, New Years invariably sucks a**, I agree. It's nearly always a terrible, terrible evening. But y'know. It's going to be terrible either way, may as well go out and get drunk.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas