Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

durpz1

9,375 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 pm
today i found a turtle in my backyard. i have no idea where it came from or how it got there. i dont know what species it is. ive never had a turtle so i dont know what to feed it besides lettuce.

i dont know how to put pics on this site so i'll do my best to describe it.

* it has a similar diamond shapes on the shell
*the color of the shell is grey
*has a pointed tail  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 pm
I wouldn't suggest keeping it. It's most likely wild, and probably was on its way going somewhere, and was probably either taking a small break or sun basking, deciding your yard was a nice place to do so. Wild caught animals generally don't make good pets, as they are usually not happy, not very human friendly, could have any array of illnesses and/or parasites, and generally don't live long if brought into captivity.

The descriptions you gave are very vague... Without a better description or pictures, I can't really identify it. To post pictures, you need a photobucket account. then you can upload pictures on there, and then post them here, using the image code on the picture or clicking on "Add Media" on the menu above the text box where you type out what you're going to post.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:54 pm
I'm going to take a wild guess and say Red-Eared Slider, Diamondback Terrapin, or a subdivision of the Painted turtle. All fairly common, first and third with plain carapaces (top of the shell), and the terrapin with a simple patterning to its scutes. That is, if you're American. I'll verify when some pictures are up.

Lettuce is actually not turtle food. Lettuce is tortoise food (though most lettuce in general is terrible for all veggie-eating pets; too much water, not enough nutrition. I hate the popular mindset that lettuce is good for any herbivorous animal. Pet peeve, nothing personal). Tortoises have high-domed shells and are generally herbivorous. Turtles have rather flattish shells and are omnivorous with a carnivorous lean.

Water turtles eat insects, worms (mealies and nightcrawlers), fish, some vegetation and fruit, and in captivity, they'll take cooked chicken, beef heart, dog/cat food, and whatever pellets that are sold in pet stores in addition to the live stuff.

All that said, it's best for you and the turtle for you to release it back into the wild. Turtles are high-maintenance as far as many reptiles go, needing at least a 20-gallon tank by the time they're four inches across, more for the larger ones, and are 20+ year commitments, though a wild-caught probably wouldn't live that long in captivity.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
I wouldn't suggest keeping it. It's most likely wild, and probably was on its way going somewhere, and was probably either taking a small break or sun basking, deciding your yard was a nice place to do so. Wild caught animals generally don't make good pets, as they are usually not happy, not very human friendly, could have any array of illnesses and/or parasites, and generally don't live long if brought into captivity.

The descriptions you gave are very vague... Without a better description or pictures, I can't really identify it. To post pictures, you need a photobucket account. then you can upload pictures on there, and then post them here, using the image code on the picture or clicking on "Add Media" on the menu above the text box where you type out what you're going to post.

I'd add on what to do with it, but you pretty much have it covered  

Luneth Moon

Timid Fox

12,400 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100

imderanged

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:16 am
Could be a box turtle too, I see those "just passing through" more often than any other species in my area (Jersey Shore) If it can "close" it's shell it's a box turtle. Like has already been stated, pictures or a better description would really help. But it's almost certainly wild and will be better off just left alone. It's probably just passing through looking for a mate or a place to lay eggs smile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm
Without a picture I haven't a clue, but I wish you had one! Could very well be a wild turtle, but could just as easily be a released pet. Unfortunately people seem to think they can let turtles and tortoises go and that they will be just fine. They usually aren't fine. And when they ARE, they interfere with the success of natural species.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 am
unless its a species native to your area i would assume its a wild turtle and should be set free to do its turtle thing

wild caught reptiles can be alot more work than captive bred ones  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:30 pm
you should just leave it alone so it will go away on it's own. it's most likely a wild turtle so it knows how to get food and stuff.  

astroknots

Friend

merpderp19974

Shirtless Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 pm
I suggest let it go on it's own if theres water near by. And if it IS wild, it can get it's own food. But to upload pictures, upload them to photobucket then use the IMG link one, copy it, and paste it on a reply.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:38 pm
Shanna66
unless its a species native to your area i would assume its a wild turtle and should be set free to do its turtle thing

THAT'S for sure. Bratanik is really healthy now but when I first rescued him he had the WC thing going against him AND had been cared for improperly (covered in shell rot most likely from being kept in a tank) so he had worms, the shell rot, curling on the back of his shell, he was a mess. Compare that to the shiny CB torts at the reptile expo.

That was a few years back, though, now he is the picture of health but Wild Caught is a LOT more work than Captive Bred!  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:08 am
Kipluck
Shanna66

THAT'S for sure. Bratanik is really healthy now but when I first rescued him he had the WC thing going against him AND had been cared for improperly (covered in shell rot most likely from being kept in a tank) so he had worms, the shell rot, curling on the back of his shell, he was a mess. Compare that to the shiny CB torts at the reptile expo.

That was a few years back, though, now he is the picture of health but Wild Caught is a LOT more work than Captive Bred!

yeah, took us ages to get our milk snake used to a normal feeding schedule, he used to refuse food and only eat every couple weeks, now he is a good eater though, still hates being held and is always willing to poop on us  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games