Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Unfinished Cosplays at a Convention? 0.o

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever worn an unfinished cosplay to a con?
Yes, i lacked time/materials
44%
 44%  [ 15 ]
Yes, cause i was lazy XP
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
No... never 0w0
41%
 41%  [ 14 ]
No, cause i only do closet cosplay XD
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

tattahitotsuyakusoku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:23 pm
I've seen unfinished cosplays at conventions. Some not so noticeable(2 sailor scouts had completely pinned their costumes from the inside cause they did not have enuff time to sew) and some that are noticable.
I have done this with my 1st vocaloid cosplay as Len Kagamine from but in his version of the song Juvenile. He wears an orange jacket and black hat that i did not have, so I went without the jacket and substituted with a red hat. I was still recognized as Len and as a Vocaloid, but my friend said she couldn't recognize it without the jacket.

So I'd like to know your experiences with other people's unfinished cosplays at cons and if you've ever worn an unfinished cosplay to a con.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 pm
Technically all my cosplays still feel unfinished to me, because I'm not 100% happy with them. However, I've never worn anything that I wasn't done sewing. I've seen people who wear costumes that have no hem, and have spare threads hanging out everywhere, and it makes me want to cover my eyes dramatically and say something like "No!... I cannot look, the unfinished edges burn my delicate eyes!!". But I don't because I'd be embarrassed after attracting that much attention XD  

jyrotika

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Bee Movie Suit

Hoarding Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm
My Deidara cosplay was unfinished. I didn't have the money or the time to make the cloak so I went without it and was still recognized. It seemed more original anyway.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am
I always go to cons feeling incomplete.
Though, the stuff I'm missing is usually minor and people don't notice it, thankfully. . .

Spartan1024

Maruul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 am
I may not be able to get my Latvia costume at all in time for the con we're going to, and Russia says if that happens I have to run around in boxers and a T-shirt that says "Russia stole my clothes"  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 am
Well for my Shipuden Gaara cosplay I hade to make a makeshift version of it. I had ordered it online and it hadn't shipped till the second day of the convention i was going to be using it for so I had to piece together the cosplay with what I could get and find.

Here's a pic of the cosplay from my privet photoshoot.
User Image
Items used or made of
the coat: A halloween priest outfit cut and re-stitched.
the pants: sleep pants bought from Target.
the sandals: sandals with black socks over them and black electric tape to hold them together (I couldn't get any black sports tape for them).
the "sand" armor: Brown fabric cut restitched and snaps attached.  

ninja-Lx

Thieving Rogue

Riot 121

7,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:47 pm
I had an unfinished Edward Elric Cosplay. I had two days to make the coat and under jacket, but two months to look for other materials. Needless to say, my Elric has no gloves, no pocket watch, and wore converses. I also didn't have the Serpent's Cross on the back because the friend that had promised to do it for me didn't come until the next day of the con. But it all worked out in the end!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:44 am
I've never done an unfinished cosplay, I always seem to have a go-around when I don't have something o-O

Although I'm worried about my girlfriend's cosplay, who two weeks ago ordered a wig from hong kong, fast shipping (6-9) days, it shipped last week's sunday, and it's still not here yet... and we need it in a week!!!  

SakuraRico

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:24 pm
I haven't done an unfinished cosplay but I think it's usually people's lack of planning and money but wanting to cosplay badly.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:51 am
I have but it is little things like missing gloves and stuff that isn't always on that outfit.  

Lady Cecilie

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:33 am
I've never gone to a con with a cosplay that was unfinished sewing-wise, but I did have to go without a tie for my School!Stocking cosplay. :C I only wore it for an hour, but I still felt weird....  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm
My first actual cosplay was Zexion from Kingdom Hearts, granted it was with a prebought trench coat that i added a hood to. It was mostly completed when I wore it to Momocon a few years ago, but the issue was the wig I wore. I had to style it just as I was going out the door to the con, and I didn't realize it until I had it on that, despite the bangs being perfect in the front, the wig was nearly bald in the back. Luckily, Organization XIII coats come equipped with convenient hoods.

Afterwards I decided to make my own coat (took three months) and switch to Xigbar, who I did not have to wear a wig for. But that wig...ugh.  

ArchAeon

7,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm
The only time's I've gone to a con in something unfinished it was I was lazy and didn't have the materials but it was only small unnoticeable details. Hell even when I needed a wig I just waited till the second day of the con to wear the outfit. This year I'm starting on my costume a few months ahead so every tiny detail should be there. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:25 pm
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

The only time I did that was my Rocket Grunt cosplay, which I'm still very unhappy with. I had to cut out the R at the convention because the friend who I was going with had to leave earlier than originally stated. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to attach the R to the shirt with fashion tape and have horribly unfinished edges. I also cut it out backwards. DX Not to mention the unsightly problem that was the bottom of the outfit, which wouldn't stay down when pinned.

Needless to say that's not being dragged out of the closet for a long, long time. And that was the outfit I was interviewed in for some Japanese website. DDDX I hate surprises like that where you have no time to prepare.

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash