Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Cosplay Prices - A WTF Rant/Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kiropterain1

Malevolent Gatekeeper

5,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 pm
yea im buying mine and its $105.00  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 am
egoxromantic
SakuraRico
egoxromantic
I agree.

And I'm all for sewing, I simply have no one to teach me how.
The worse part about that is my dad now has a girlfriend who was an ex-costume maker, but I don't want to ask her for too much help because she's just that- my dad's girlfriend. They've been together for a while, but I don't want to start harassing her with cosplay projects. >.>

Oh, so I guess that was my rant right there. It was half a 'Grr! I wanna learn how to sew!' Rant.

Actually, harrassing her with cosplay project would be a good way to not only you get closer to her, but her also to your dad if you like her ^^

So you do everyone a favor ^^

I don't know. She helped me with one thing... and seems to take an intrest in my strange outfits...
but she's probably mocking me behind my back or something. xD

Bah, who cares if she mocks you, at least she gets a laugh out of it, ne? Adults will be adults! (is an adult myself TT^TT) You get what you want, so that's what matters!

On a side note, I plan on cosplaying testament from guilty gear someday, the fabric alone comes from a minimum of 15 dollars a yard, to about 25 >.<  

SakuraRico

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:19 am
@SakuraRico: OMFG I love you. Testament is awesome.

The only thing that bothers me about some cosplay sites is when the costume costs so much and it's not accurate. I remember when my friends wanted to do a Fruits Basket group cosplay. I found a Kagura outfit that was off by a lot and they wanted $85 for it. I think I was checking out cosplaymagic.com We never did the FB group cosplay.

Anyway, I only have two cosplays. I made the Milk-chan outfit on my own, but a lady from my grandma's neighborhood made my Sousuke Sagara cosplay. It's a plus when you know someone who knows how to sew.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:11 am
I just recently made my Umi costume from scratch with the help of my parents (I can't sew). I've made an Portgas D. Ace costume as well but with already-made items like shorts.

Making these costumes I've discovered crafts is my thing (always has been) such as craft foam. So one like myself would probably go for an armor with less fabric (or clothes I can buy and modify) since I'm strong in the craft area.

So if you are like me, pick an outfit in an area you are strong in and can afford.  

LovelyLadyAurora

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 am
OhNoesItsMiho
@SakuraRico: OMFG I love you. Testament is awesome.

Oh, I love you too!!! Let's get married! blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:43 am
When I buy costumes online, I also do a lot of looking around first. I look at tons of different sites and make a list of pros and cons for each. I've been able to find some very good-quality costumes online for under $100 just by doing a lot of looking around.

But yes, no matter how you get your costumes (make them, have them commissioned, buy them) cosplay is a very expensive hobby, but we do it because it's so much fun.

PandaTeddy

Hotaru230

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:53 am
Bodyline has some good female cosplay for cheap, but only in certain sizes, but shipping is $20. I ususally wait and get other local people to do a group order so that we can split the shipping. I got a sailor collared school uniform for $19 from them.

also I alter a lot of my stuff from things at thrift stores and I try to wait till the thrift stores here have their 1/2 price days to buy my items. I got the jacket that I'm using for my Jubilee for less than $5, it was a VERY lucky find.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:44 am
I'm looking at some Hetalia costumes, and I'm excited because the one I want is marked down right now and is really cheap. Then I noticed the boots were sold separately... for $84?! I was like "******** it, I'll go to the store and buy some non-cosplay boots. x_x " They're just boots after all. Not a huge deal.  

Maruul

MisaMaiValentine

7,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:34 am
Some of the prices can get outrageous which is why I generally improvise my cosplay at goodwill and modify stuff but if you do buy a cosplay the cheap ones aren't that good...my friend got a KH1 Sora cosplay online and the jumpsuit is freaking orange. It looks more like Naruto than Sora to be completely honest...and it was cheap so expensive is better but I still like goodwill wink  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 pm
Wow. o_____o I've never really looked at pre-made costumes, since I can sew.

And sewing's not that hard. It's taking fabric and putting the garment together that takes skill. 3nodding  

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

Alucardalina

Friendly Vampire

10,200 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Falling For You 25
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:55 pm
Most of the time, even if it's just a simple cosplay, if it's anywhere past 100$ (Because 100$ is the norm nowadays) the reason for it's hefty price is the quality of the material and not always just the quality of the construction of the piece. Materials can get costly, which is why most people who do sew cosplay use broadcloth, pallencia, and cottonclub, which usually goes about 2-5$ a yard.
Using the cheapest yet quality materials, and if you are a bargain hunter with a fabric store close by, you can get to the point where you are making your own cosplays under 50$.

In fact, I recently made a Yukari Yakumo outfit (from touhou project) For those who don't know, its a really big dress. I took advantage of some sheets from a thrift store and went to Hancock Fabrics during a huge sale. The outfit probably cost me 30$, which is SUPER cheap for this cosplay (and it will be the first one I feel proud enough of to enter into Anime Weekend Atlanta's costume contest.)

Making your cosplay is really a lot cheaper in the end.
And beware of things you buy offline, you can't be promised that it will fit exactly.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:07 am
I'm going to add to what Alucardalina said about bargain hunting biggrin

I made a Retsu Unohana (4th captain from Bleach) costume for approximately US$40. It would have been less than that (only about $2 cool but I decided to get a HUGE ball of thick hemp and weave my own sandals sweatdrop What was my secret?
SHEET FABRIC!! biggrin

Yes, I used Wal-Mart sheet fabric for all of the parts I sewed. One flat twin-sized sheet (approx $3-4 depending on the season) is enough fabric for an entire kimono. (as long as you're not going to see the bottom of it. Mine goes to about my knees, but is long enough to look normal under the hakama) A flat full-sized sheet (approx $7-8 depending on the season) is enough fabric for the hakama (unless you're taller than like... 5'8". Note: I'm 5'2", so I can get away with less fabric. If you are tall, you can just use 2 flat sheets instead smile )

Their sheet colors change depending on the season, but you can almost always find black and white sheets there. I'm currently working on making an Akatsuki cloak out of sheet fabric...

Also, I use sheet fabric for making mock-ups of clothing before I cut the expensive fabric. $4 on a sheet to make a mock-up can save you SO much time (and money/fabric) having to cut it out again because the pattern wasn't big enough :/

For a bargain on fabric, I go to JoAnn Fabrics because they usually have a 40% or 50% off coupon (for one cut of fabric that's not already on sale) laying out when you walk in the door. Anybody remember what the puppet (Belzenef) from Ouran High School Host Club looked like? I got enough material for 2 or 3 of them, all for $2. Just because of awesome sale prices and coupons smile

For all of you that don't sew, there's a possibility that you could find part or all of your costume in a thrift store. You can also alter thrift store items to look like your character's outfit. I had a friend that made a full Akatsuki cloak out of a Salvation Army dress and some red ribbon and red fabric for the clouds smile  

jyrotika

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items