Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Bible Thumpers at Anime Conventions? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ashta Nightrayne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:35 pm

I was the hostess of the Left 4 Dead shoot and my Fiance [the Francis helped] at A-kon 21. At first the man was quietly saying stuff to the pass Byers until something clicked in his head that we dressed up as the undead. Then he started yelling on top of his god gifted lungs how we where committing blasphemy because of what we are doing. It was a Sin to be homosexual where i see no where in the bible saying it is a sin. It was a sin for a pasture/preacher to be married and have kids. It a sin for this, its a sin for that. After our shoot we organized a quick zombie walk around the block and as we where doing that, i hear that a few people where near him and expressed their sexuality. Later on, some cosplayers went over to the Shelton and had hotel staff call Dallas PD to tell the guy off because to the harassment.

Other then the random bible guy, everyone in the shoot had fun.

Along with this post I found this on the main a-kon forms a youtube link for your entertainment!

Bible Thumpers at A-Kon's Left 4 Dead Shoot

Have any of you have any issues with over religious people interrupting you all at a convention? Ruining your time at one? Just out right became a troll? or Simply becoming a harassment?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 am
Good lord,

That's extreemly rude. Sorry to hear that happend. I don't see why they must make an issue of it. I know some very devote christians, and you don't see them shoving their believes down people's throats.
They may not agree with everything that happens at a con, but in that case they just ignore it and move to another area.

I don't really understand how you can say you love someone when all you do is harass them.
Someone should have called the cops.  

Irrlich

cuvier

Fashionable Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:43 am
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
we're spιnnιng on a roller coasтer rιde; тнe world sтυcĸ ιn вlacĸ and wнιтe

User Image

Aw, they're silly. Don't let them bother you.
I mean, I know there's a Jesus cosplayer at my home con, and no one's ever bothered him... yet. Though I'm interested to see how that would look. Because Jesus always has his posse. lawl.

I like the "Are these guys for real?" line, because that's probably how I'd react at first. But the great part is the way the L4D group was calmly responding, and the Bible dudes were freaking out.

ι вeg тo dreaм and dιғғer ғroм тнe нollow lιes; тнιѕ ιs тнe dawnιng oғ тнe resт oғ our lιves
on нolιday
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Hatch us? <333  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:42 am
What an a**! I've never had a religouse freak ruin a con for me, but i did go to one were the hotel was also hosting a shriner con. We didn't have any problems with them but it was very funny to see them mixed with the cosplayers  

Creepy Kuro Neko

Moonlight Phantom

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm
That would be a pain to deal with. Good thing I'm Pagan mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:05 pm
Lol, I'm a Christian and seeing that pissed me off! XD Those preachers are giving us a bad name! I've never experienced that before at a con, though. Wow, I'm sorry they ruined your photo shoot >_<  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

LovelyLadyAurora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 pm
If anybody went to Fanime this year or before, know about the protesters.
This was my first time going to Fanime con and it was great even with screaming protesters yelling at crowds of cosplayers and fans all their bible stuff.
On Saturday, we had a real mean one outside the con. He was more fiery than the other ones. The same dude yelled at me and my friend as we walked in front of the fountain. He yelled at me saying, "You are not God's friend if you wear a funny orange hat!" I was cosplaying as Portgas D Ace from One Piece. I didn't know he said that to me until I was pulled away by a staff member and my friend told me. It wouldn't have bothered me if nobody told me. I just completely ignore them.

We later made a vlog about it. Day 2 Fanime 2010  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm
Well I have never been bothered by 1 at a con but I have been bothered by 1 on the way 2 a con when I was riding the train she was telling every1 things and speaking in tounges (which is no longer required in the new testament) I am ok with people talking 2 me about they're beliefs I don't mind it much but if I decline nicely and then they insist they better be prepared 2 back up what they are saying with a bible. (No where in the bible does it say that priest can't be married and have children).  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Nightmarish Fantasy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm
Oh yeah, I'm a regular Fanime-goer. It was pretty bad last year and the year before.

But every year, we have a Jesus cosplayer, and he goes over to piss them off xD

They always go on and on about how we live in a world of fantasy and stuff about drugs and alcohol lol Year before last it messed up outdoor gatherings.

But yeah, xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdzfW9KS03M  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:37 pm
Where is Fanime exactly? Do the protesters do that nonsense every year? X.x  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Maruul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 pm
Ha! xd I wish some would show up to one of my cons. That would be fun.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:58 pm
Ooooh goodness. I'm so glad I was not there for that. XD  

Kinxed

5,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 pm
I've actually never run into any "Bible Thumpers" at any of the conventions I have attended. In many ways I consider myself lucky for this fact, I am not sure I would have the patience to deal with such a person.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:17 am
Anime Expo 2005 or 2006 I was at the Anaheim Convention center and (there is this big a** glass building and right next to it this smaller, dome shaped building) there were some Billy Graham or some old dude and his followers standing outside trying to convince us Anime Expo'ers to walk in and "Praise God".

So I decided to wear a sign that said "Yaoi is Lord".

When the asked me what it was, I told them to "Stop being lazy and google it. And no, I am not interested in your bible thumping habits. GTFO."  

Stop Touching My Fetus

Quotable Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:26 am
Nice! XD I lol'd so hard at the videos XD

Well, we haven't had bible thumpers, but we almost didn't make a convention because the owner of the colloseum we were using once went in the con to see what the fuzz was all about, and after seeing everyone in cosplay, he thought it was some sort of satanic cult following or something o-O So he didn't let us rent the colloseum anymore, until this year, in which in seems the organizers convinced him.

What we have had is problems with the Nazi cosplayers and people complaining o-O

Speaking of which, I once got shot in my belly with one of their air guns x-X  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces