Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What NOT to do when you cosplay... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MissMina2

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:06 am
Do not think you're costume won't need repairing at least once and always bring thread and a needle to fix it.
Do not use Japanese randomly and think you look cool, you don't. (I mean a full English sentence and 2 Japanese words that have no reason being there. Or saying Konnichiwa when it isn't afternoon)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 am
Don't treat your cosplay too serious. Fun is the most important thing in my opinion.
Don't be mad or crybaby when someone will have better version of your character.
Don't be EMO.

ninja  

Kuyukyu

Shymedusa

Interesting Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:59 pm
you dont have to be in character to cosplay a character you like just make a exception when your ask to be for a pic and etc BUT if you are in character please work at doing that  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 am
MinaUchiha2
Do not think you're costume won't need repairing at least once and always bring thread and a needle to fix it.
Do not use Japanese randomly and think you look cool, you don't. (I mean a full English sentence and 2 Japanese words that have no reason being there. Or saying Konnichiwa when it isn't afternoon)

I thought "konnichiwa" was "good morning"... sweatdrop No matter...

Don't wear a super-heavy costume in summer if there's no AC (otherwise, be very careful not to dehydrate and/or overheat/collapse!)

Don't try to take the elevator if you can avoid it. Taking a flight or two of stairs (especially down) is WAY easier!

Don't get sleeves, kimono and hakama caught on doorknobs and hand railings! (other pieces of clothing too, I guess) Seriously, western structures are Japanese clothing's worst enemy! I'm always getting my kimono stuck on doorknobs and railings. A stray doorknob even managed to destroy my first pair of hakama just minutes after I finished stitching crying  

jyrotika

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 pm
Konnichi-wa is "Good Afternoon"
Ohayo Gozaimasu is "Good Morning"
Konban-wa is "Good Evening"
(( Taken straight from my textbook. ))

Always have an extra pair of stockings/tights handy.
Wear stuff under your schoolgirl cosplays. There are usually stairs and people looking up!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 pm
addition to 7~Don't make a weapon you can't control(as in, you don't want to be whacking people with it every time you turn around) --- Don't make a COSTUME you can't control. I see a lot of people with huge costumes. Some have guards to prevent people from getting in their blind spots while others knock things and people over on a regular basis.

Test Drive Your Costume... Break in shoes, bounce around to make sure things aren't gonna fall off, hike up, or break.

Thread, Super Glue, Duc Tape, and zip ties can at least temporarily fix most costume issues... Sometimes even for the rest of the weekend. So be prepared.

Clean Your COSTUME. I see so many people wear their costume year after year and never take the time to clean it. Your in it all day... sometimes 2-3 days in a row. It's gonna smell. Take the time to get some fabreez or a hand held steam cleaner and use it each night. It will make the people around you happy and make you feel much cleaner and more comfortable in it. This only helps if YOU also take a shower.

jyrotika

Don't try to take the elevator if you can avoid it. Taking a flight or two of stairs (especially down) is WAY easier!

EXCEPT if you have LONG costumes or complex costumes. The last thing you want to do if fall down stairs or get your costume stuck in one of the escalators.

MinaUchiha2
Or saying Konnichiwa when it isn't afternoon

Actually Konnichiwa means Good Afternoon AND Hello less formally.

Ohayo = Good Morning (+gozaimasu = polite/formal)
Konbanwa = Good Evening

As it is most Japanese I know consider any time after 10am till sundown afternoon... so a majority of the early day and evening Konnichiwa would be acceptable as a polite use.

((taken straight from my family and friends who are Japanese and other variations of Asian, some of which were born in and/or lived in Japan))  

dragonacid16

31,875 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300

No_Pun_Intended

Alien Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Quote:
16~ If you spray-painted your hair or a wig, watch out for other people and their costumes! That stuff rubs off!

Watch out for painted/Sharpie'd tattoos too.
A friend of mine gave a running hug to a Kamina(TTGL, he's full of tattoos) cosplayer and I had to ruin a make-up sponge cleaning up his face. His jacket got some Kamina too. x3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:44 pm
Do not complain if your costume hurts or bugs you.
You chose to wear it I don't want to hear it.

I m not even kidding about this one. My ex boyfriend had a Mario cosplay and the shoes he had on were uncomfortable and he wouldn't shut up about it. I was very annoyed because my shoes were cutting of circulation and I had a broken corset on underneath my cosplay that was literally cutting into my skin and I did not complain once. Not even on the light rail home. So please if you re cosplayer do not complain.  

Lady Cecilie

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Lady Cecilie

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:51 pm
La Ahna
Don't get TOO in character and piss off all your friends when you're being a snot cause you're "in character."
My ex bf cosplayed Mario and he kept using the voice and being overprotective of my because of it and it did piss me off... saddest part he was pretending I was cosplaying princess peach but yeah it was really annoying please please don't get to into character...save that for the masquerade  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:43 pm
Don't forget to bring anything to fix up your costume including a brush, wig care stuff, make-up, and sewing supplies. It's always better safe than sorry, plus make-up will always need touch-ups since cons get hot no matter what you're in and after you eat it will be out of place as well.

Don't pose for photos in the middle of walkways or in front of a vendor. You are an obstruction to people and business.

♥ sauru

Sauru

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 am
dragonacid16
Clean Your COSTUME. I see so many people wear their costume year after year and never take the time to clean it. Your in it all day... sometimes 2-3 days in a row. It's gonna smell. Take the time to get some fabreez or a hand held steam cleaner and use it each night. It will make the people around you happy and make you feel much cleaner and more comfortable in it. This only helps if YOU also take a shower.
That reminds me I need to get my Ouran uniform dry cleaned. I know we set a shower schedule when everyone slept over at my house Friday night when we went to Anime North. We stood in line for a long time to get our passes, and as time went on the sun came out and we started to sweat like pigs. I don't even think we noticed the sweat anymore after a while, so if it's a hot con or not, even if you don't think you smell, take a quick shower just in case.

I'm also on the bandwagon of be careful where you're taking pictures. When the dealers room finally opened people kept deciding to take pictures near the entrances/exits, which was irritating when you're trying to get by but you want to be courteous and not ruin the picture.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 am
If your cosplay is fabric bring a mini sewing kit just in case
if your cosplay is cardboard bring duct tape just in case
If you have a prop don't let other people mess with it because it might get ruined or you may never get it back.  

MisaMaiValentine

7,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

Doom27

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:50 pm
Aurora Sonata
Don't forget your costume at home...

yeah each year i forget something... but i always luck out and someone at the hometown hasn't left yet and gets it for me.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:03 pm
Don't wear a revealing cosplay and act suprised when guys stare at you. I hate hearing girls complain about that -_-

Don't cosplay an obscure character or artbook version of a popular character, then sulk about no one knowing who you are or not taking your picture.  

JouninK

Maruul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:55 am
This may have been said already, but I'm a little loopy from the dentist, so I don't remember: DO NOT ATTACK PEOPLE WITH YOUR PROPS! You idiots already got paddles banned from several cons, keep it up and we won't be allowed anything!  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff