Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
How Involved are You? O: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Demon Horse Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:39 pm
1. Which parts of the outfit do you make on your own?
I normally make anything I have to with a costume, though not so much shoes(few times I had to though), definatly not wigs, and if I can get away w/ it, I'll use regular pants.. I'm okay with sewing, few times I glued stuff o.o and then one time I cheated and bought the cosply Dx *lazymuch*
2. Have you ever made your own weapons/props? Or do you buy replicas?
Always made my weapons/props- it's so fun ^^
3. How much time and/or money do you normally spend on one cosplay?
I..haven't really kept track of the moola spendage sweatdrop but w/ my recent cosplay I spent $100 on fur.. Time wise...depnds on the cosplay, some I've spent a few weeks on, others ran around about a month..  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:08 pm
I'm not very involved at all... I buy my costumes, as cheap as I can while maintaining moderate quality. I just do it for fun. Besides, I'm more into being in character than being in costume. The costume's just there for recognition. sweatdrop  

Maruul

PegLegPony

1,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 pm
1. Which parts of the outfit do you make on your own? i make as many pieces of the costume on my own and alter things like shoes and accessories so they look EXACTLY the way i want them too. i'm a stoopid perfectionist =D

2. Have you ever made your own weapons/props? Or do you buy replicas? i've never made any to this day and i dunno if this counts but me an my friend are planning on making an iron man suit over the next year, with led lighting and everything... should be interesting XD

3. How much time and/or money do you normally spend on one cosplay? any wear from 50 bucks to hundreds of dollars.
right now i'm working on a costume that will cost me upwards of 500 dollars. i don't know whay i choose such complex things.... it's my fault, i am VERY detailed oriented and i like everything to look perfect, so if i have 2 fabrics in front of me, one that matches what im doing perfectly and one that is half the cost but a little different i'll still take the pricier one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:51 am
50% I would say. The percentage increases or decreases depending on what the costume is. My latest one (Bane and Demoman) I would say are about 70%. I like to look at the cost of making it versus purchasing something identical and pick the lower value.

I make all my own props from scratch.

On averge I spend about $200 on a costume. I like to break up the cost by purchasing one or two items a month while digging around local places for cheap fabrics and other items I could use. A lot of times I get really good deals for stuff simply because I took the time to talk to a person in a polite way instead of ordering from someone faceless on the internet.

User_1017918

I_Luvs_Puppets

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:07 am
Well, I may get some slack for saying this but, my mother is a professional seamstress so I actually very rarely make my own costumes or at least not the clothing itself. I do make all my accessories and sometimes alterations if needed. I also have a tendency against wigs simply because my hair is very long and thick so wearing them can be uncomfortable.

2. Have you ever made your own weapons/props?
Not yet but I'm planning on helping my sister make her Ariel wheelchair. Basically it'll end up looking as close to a coral reef looking thing as we can make it. ^^

Oh goodness this is a hard one. A couple months? Honestly though it's mostly because I don't want to overload my mom with my cosplays she's /very/ gifted with sewing and once made me a double-sided, lace-up, fabric corset in about six hours with no measurements other than my old one that I had outgrown almost a year ealier and the new one fits perfectly. There is a reason me and my friends like to refer to my mother as "The Sewing Fairy" As for money I try and limit myself to $150 at most.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:26 pm
My mom and/or my freinds mom make my costume, but I'm learning! I am there for the whole thing, the only time I;m not is when Mimi's mommy is making it, but I go by every now and again to see how it's going. I also buy all the fabric and materials. x3
2. Have you ever made your own weapons/props?
I needed some headphones, and I bought those and painted 'em...
A month or so... The most I've spent was 40$ for fabric and stuff, and 20$ for the wig... It was a horrible wig, too.... =3= I dyed my hair after. =w= ... So... all together...? The most was.... 80$. (some extra stuff added...)  

Alakana

Sauru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:21 pm

I started making them on my own since I got a sewing machine. I have bought some before, but they're rather pricey.

I bought Chi ears once, but I'm making them on my own now.

Too much. xD;
I'll spend hours a day on a piece and I'll spend $50 or so on fabric alone.

♥ sauru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:22 pm
I make the whole cosplay in amaxing detail last year i went as riku and everyone was hugging me telling me i was a god for making the cosplay so well. I make my own wepons but normally they're made of wood and metal so i can't bring them X_X;.
I normally spend up to 1 year on my cosplays if needed i'll go as high as 2 years.  

User_16349334

7,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:40 am
This year will be my first time cosplaying, but because I like to sew ( and I don't have money to buy premade pretty costumes, aha c: ) I'm being as involved as I have to and them some. I've gone through a lot to get the two costumes I'm doing started and I want to make them fantastic in the four months I have left to do so.

So far, I've actually gotten all the parts to the costumes from thrift stores or my closet, but I buy things that are close to what I need and then alter the heck out of them. ( I sewed parts of drapes to the bottom of a skirt for frill, mutilated a stretchy shirt to cover the top of a skirt I bought because it was too shiny, etc. ) So...I buy stuff but "make" it into something completely different, I guess - I just don't buy raw material.
Not yet, but I'm looking for an excuse to! I'm now the official cosplay-maker for my friends, haha, and one of them loves Axel. I'm trying to figure out what I can get to make chakrams for her for a present. >w<
If accessories count, I plan on making a few necklaces with the help of sculpey and gems I cut myself though. ^-^

For the cosplays I have in progress, I've spent roughly $18 on one ( not including the wig and shoes ) and $12 on the other ( not including the wig ). I LOVE thrift stores~ It's cheap compared to the three-digit numbers I'm seeing, but I've used every trick in the book to make sure they don't look cheap - I know how to shop when I don't have a lot to spend, and I alter pieces of clothing I already own and use things for an unintended purpose ( like the drapes ) besides, lol.
As for time... a lot of that has gone into the costume-making. I've spent a good twenty hours over the both of them already, and they're only halfway done if that ( not including accessories and stylizing ). D:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:30 am
1. Which parts of the outfit do you make on your own? Everything. The fabric, patterns, and anything else that needs to be added. Started off having my mom do it, but as soon as I learned how to work the sewing machine, I took over.

2. Have you ever made your own weapons/props? Or do you buy replicas? I LOVE making props! Heck, I'm making one now for Otakon and I can't wait to start the one for the following Otakon

3. How much time and/or money do you normally spend on one cosplay? Now, well over $100. My Philia had to of been roughly $350. Earlier, I tried to make it as cheap as possible, but then it looked like crap.  

Rinkun

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100

Hypocritical Persecution

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:42 am
I try to look for pre-existing clothes that look similar to what I'm making and alter them, but if I can't I'll make them from scratch. Planning to for my sis's Sakura (Naruto) cosplay and my Tenten. Yeah, it's going to be fun, because I want them done by Thursday and I don't the materials until tomorrow. I wanetd to make Tsunade for myself but it seems like it would be too hot for hot weather.

I have made some props before, like Timcampy, and some fail weapons...Hidan's Scythe...Kunai...Lavi's Mallet/Hammer... I try to make them myself, but if I just can't I'll buy if the price isn't too high, otherwise I just won't have it.

As much time as takes, which can be anywhere from an hour to 10 hours! Total that is, not 10 hours straight, and it doesn't include the time inbetween that I don't work on it.

Money wise, I'd have to say probably anywhere from $5-$30 dollars. It sounds cheap, and it is. If I need to make anything from I scratch, I go to a second hand store, like Value Village and get bed sheets... What? Okay, so not the best material to make it from, but certainly the cheapest, and as long as I make them look good, and as accurate as possible, I can live with wearing sheets xD The only drawback I can think of, if you manage to find bed sheets in the color you want, you might not find enough material.

But, of course, I forgot to include the price of the wig (if I need one). Anyone who has bought a wig knows how much they can cost, especially for a good one. I bought two really good ones from this one asian site I can't remember, and a somewhat crappy one from Amphigory. The good ones cost $150+ for both. I don't how much exactly, I got them for my b-day and most of it was S&H. The crappy one which I will now use for my bro's Chouji cosplay, something like $30.

if you count binding too them that's whatever it costs for a roll a duct tape and double sided tape.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am
I don't usually make pants because usually I'll just need black dress pants or something of a solid colour. As for jackets and heavier stuff, as in harder to sew, I'll try to look for it. I'll sew small things like accessories, shirts and vests.
My father makes my weapons, to be honest. I don't bother buying them when I can have it custom-made right at home.
I always procrastinate, so I end up spending one week for a cosplay. Or two, for that matter. As of now, I am working on my cosplays two months in advance. I'll see how long it takes from there.~ For the two cosplays I am currently working on, I expect to spend about $50 or less because everything is mostly sewn. As for my other cosplay, he wears boots, so those can range in prices, so I expect to spend from $50-approximately $200 on him. @__@  

Spartan1024

LovelyLadyAurora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am
Anything dealing with craft (not the fabric in less it's clothes that's been modified).

I've made all my props (Umi's sword was made with the help of my parents)

It takes me months. I'm slow. razz As for money, I couldn't tell you b/c I don't keep track.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm
Almost everything. If the sewing is too hard, I go to my grandmother for help, but aside from that I do everything. I used to rely on my cosplay partner for wig styling, but I've since started doing that too. @_@
I make all my own props, weapons, jewelry, etc. I have yet to make an actual proper weapon though, since I tend to pick characters that don't really have one XD
Oh God... a lot? XD I never keep track of money, though I think I will start to, but as for time... weeks and weeks, depending on the costume.

Zombeficent

Hygienic Lover

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 pm
Hypocritical Persecution
Money wise, I'd have to say probably anywhere from $5-$30 dollars. It sounds cheap, and it is. If I need to make anything from I scratch, I go to a second hand store, like Value Village and get bed sheets... What? Okay, so not the best material to make it from, but certainly the cheapest, and as long as I make them look good, and as accurate as possible, I can live with wearing sheets xD The only drawback I can think of, if you manage to find bed sheets in the color you want, you might not find enough material.

That's genius, for the way that I got about making my cosplays. You gave me a wonderful idea, thank you. xD  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff