Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
How to deal with fangirls/boys Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roxy-bear1216

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:49 pm
The first year that I went to a con I was glomped, tackled, stalked, and I think someone sexually assaulted me with their eyes >.> I would recommend carrying bags and a sign and having a bodyguard because it can get a bit crazy.

But fangirls/boys make things so much funner at a con! rofl I remember I went as Sasuke and had a Sakura follow me, and an Itachi threaten me confused But those people make things so much funner than just walking around and having people just take your picture or ask you what you would do for a Klondike bar.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:30 pm
harukokun
fangirl/fanboys
are they that bad i'd like to kno cause i'm going to cosplay this year

Yeah! If it's to the point where someone has to have a friend be their bodyguard, yes. The fangirls aren't so bad. I mean, if a girl is cosplaying/crossplaying a character some girl likes, they will follow you around, but IMO I don't mind. It's just not as awkward. XD Well, it might be once I shave my head. They'll all think I'm a guy.  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

immortalguardian

8,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm
Not usally a fan boy unless i see soemone i liek but not an a*****e about but i'm thinking of dressing a ***** bear just so that u can't classify me as a fan boy lol  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 am
Last year I went to Anime Central in Chicago, and I was attacked probably 50 times by rabid fan girls. I was dressed up as Demyx from Kingdom Hearts, and I had the sitar and everything! It looked awesome, but there was this one time when this morbidly obese woman glomped me and it wasn't fun. As for the fangirls, I just take the hug, because if you pry them off they'll only come back.... in bigger numbers... eek  

damaged-reality

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:46 am
Tsuki Nushi
K master of flames
I always carry my Death Note Messenger Bag (I don't cosplay anything from death note). So most like people will ask 4 permission when there is something out of character. (Still does not stop them from playing with ur pokemon tail). The idea of a body guard sounds good though, but I don't mind being followed (especially if there cute girls).

I have a FMA bag covered in pins that I wear on my shoulder, so people have to ask me for pics. (Otherwise it'd be weird to get a pic of Riku with an otaku-fied bag) Hmm, have you tried putting a little sign on your back or tail saying, "please don't play with my tail?" It won't stop it completely, but it should cut down on it somewhat. Most of the fans aren't all that irritating, so the body guard is usually just a precaution in case you get a stalker.
I did not have sign, I did not think it would be needed. Well my bodyguard wasnt really a body guard persay, just some1 that would tell me something that would give me an excuse 2 leave (gives me a fake reminder)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 pm
I've only been to one con, and I believed I was only truly attacked once.
Not even half an hour in and my friends and I were talking to this random group of people.
I noticed how everybody was recognizing my friends, but no one seemed to recognize me.
Some guy in the group looked at me and said "Haku?" I replied with an oblivious 'Yes.'
Next thing I know, I hear someone say "It's Haku!" And I am surrounded by people, all hugging and squeezing me.

I was overjoyed. It was so fun!

Nefertiri Merytmut

Shady Kitty

10,825 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Charging Power 75
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

SylviaQuinrel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:47 pm
♥♥♥♥
User Image

I've only dealt with fangirls twice.
First time I cosplayed I was dressed as Rosette Christopher at AWA, and a girl screamed and ran over and asked if she could hug me.
That I didn't mind so much.
At Kamicon last Saturday, I was dressed as Luka Megurine, and I was outside waiting on a friend. Me and my dad both watched as this girl started sprinting across the front, wondering where she was going.
She ended up attached to me in a death-hug.
I was mostly surprised to say the least. XDD

♥♥♥♥
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:44 pm
They're not bad if they ask or are at least gentle. It's the ones that run at you with their full weight or actually JUMP on you that are bad. I don't even get them that much because I cosplay people nobody knows. XP My friend gets it bad though, and as I mentioned in my intro, her costume was repeatedly damaged by fantards glomping her. On the way to the cosplay contest! DX  

Maruul

Mama Quartz

OG Gaian

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:59 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I haven't gotten any fanboys/girls to chase me yet (not that I want to...). The "Ask first" sign sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll wear that this year because I'm cosplaying Igiko Kirkland (Fem!England from Axis Powers: Hetalia)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 pm
once i had a girl that wanted to take me back to her hotel room and GOD KNOWS WHAT SHE WAS GOING TO DO!
i still love to crossplay though, (i do orochimaru, and i'm a woman)  

orochimaruismine

Beloved Werewolf

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:31 pm
Well I will be cosplaying Bomberman very soon, LOL I don't think I have 2 worry about full force glomps and stuff the most that I might get with that is maybe random ppl asking 4 hugs. (I don't think Bomberman is very crazed fan attackable character) BUt, I might be wrong  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:45 am
Considering I'm a tall male who is the oldest out of a group of otherwise younger girls going to a con this week and I'm the only one not cosplaying, I'll probably have to act as their bodyguard :/  

aquatius

I_Luvs_Puppets

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:30 am
I attach myself to one of my bigger friends.

Srsly fanboys scare the hell out of me. I've only had to deal with them twice but it's enough. >.<

Doesn't help that apparently people are quite skeptical when I tell them I'm only 15. >.< Woo I'm jailbait how great. I actually had an occasion where I'd had a nice conversation in the live for the Rock Band contest at AWA who promptly ended the conversation when he learned i was, at the time, only 14. So yeah.

Better than the creepy stalker guy from when I cosplayed Yellow.
This is also why I cosplay characters like Renge, Yellow, etc you're less likely to get glomped.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:48 pm
K master of flames
Well I will be cosplaying Bomberman very soon, LOL I don't think I have 2 worry about full force glomps and stuff the most that I might get with that is maybe random ppl asking 4 hugs. (I don't think Bomberman is very crazed fan attackable character) BUt, I might be wrong

I'd glomp you ^^  

SakuraRico

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:40 pm
I've never been attacked, but I have ended up having some very interesting conversations with fangirls. At Anime Boston this past year I was Vocaloid Kaito. A Meiko stopped me and asked for a photo. Immediately after the picture was taken she said to me in the most matter-of-fact voice, "Miku is cheating on you. Break up with her and have sex with me instead."

One of those moments where I wasn't sure if I should laugh or not. So I hugged her and ran. o.0  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff