Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
let me ask you a thing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cyanoticshade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:43 pm
So I had a geek attack and went out to buy whatever wicca books I could get my hands on just to read up. One was a spell book for a spell to do every day of the year. It wasn't until later that I realized it was for the year 2005.

My question is: If I still do the spell on the right weekday but clearly not the same year then will it be alright?

Thanks! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:09 am
I would think so? But I have to ask. Why would you want to do a spell every day? I would think that would be draining and depending on what you're doing a waste of time, energy, and possibly supplies. Bolded to emphasize. For example, yes I do a protection spell everyday. But I reuse the same candle and that's all I need for it. If I was going to do one for the cat one day and one for good weather the next I might have the stuff for the cat but not the weather. And having to support two lazy asses because they can't manage their money worth s**t I don't have the resources to go get the stuff. That and if they have to be done at specific times of the day I probably wouldn't be able to manage that either.

What I'm getting at with all that is what works for one might not work for another. Yeah those spells could work 9 years later but they might not work for you or the next person. I definitely know that even if I had the resources, what gets passed around in "Wiccan" books would not work for me. I can't work in that kind of style. It has no meaning to me. That a lot of it ends up being empty motions.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:22 am
I agree, I think that the fact the book was printed for 2005 would be less of a problem than whether the spell for any given day was something you wanted/needed.

The typical book that lists a bunch of spells is at least 2/3's full of spells I personally have no use for. I am happily married, so don't need any find love spells. I am not looking for a job (or working) so job related stuff is of no use to me either. My son is almost grown and very independent, so not much needed there.

If it were me, I might read through the spells, a day at a time (either by matching up day of the week, or just going by the date). And if it was a spell that I really liked and wanted to do, then I would do it. If it wasn't something I felt moved to do, I would look to see if there were any parts I did like, and perhaps work on turning those parts into something that would work for me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:39 pm
I don't see anything wrong with it. I have spells that were written from the founders of my coven from 1984, I still use them, they are in my book of shadows, and they work fine. It doesn't matter the year a spell is written, as long as you have the power and time to execute each one. I personally only cast spells when I need to, but if you are new to the craft I am assuming your doing it as a learning experience, and that's a good thing, but spell casting is repetitive and time consuming. It hard work especially on a daily basis. In my coven sector, we take a trip for yule and we celebrate the 13 days of yule, we cast a circle everyday were on the trip, I'm sick of it by the 5th day gonk , but its a tradition so I do it anyway. I personally think the older the spell the better, that means that it's stood the test of time, meaning after all these years you were able to find the book, it if wasn't a valuable source, it would have been harder for you to find.
Good luck
genevieve  

SexyGravitationalPull

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gaian 50

dormant lime

Astounding Loiterer

12,200 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
I would think so? But I have to ask. Why would you want to do a spell every day? I would think that would be draining and depending on what you're doing a waste of time, energy, and possibly supplies. Bolded to emphasize. For example, yes I do a protection spell everyday. But I reuse the same candle and that's all I need for it. If I was going to do one for the cat one day and one for good weather the next I might have the stuff for the cat but not the weather. And having to support two lazy asses because they can't manage their money worth s**t I don't have the resources to go get the stuff. That and if they have to be done at specific times of the day I probably wouldn't be able to manage that either.

What I'm getting at with all that is what works for one might not work for another. Yeah those spells could work 9 years later but they might not work for you or the next person. I definitely know that even if I had the resources, what gets passed around in "Wiccan" books would not work for me. I can't work in that kind of style. It has no meaning to me. That a lot of it ends up being empty motions.

I'm not sure that it has anything to do with doing each of those spells every day. It appears to me to be something more along the lines of an encyclopedia/spell calender, if you will, of spells that might have a positive alignment on those days.
Or, it really could be for daily things, but they could be minor.
I really don't know!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:18 pm
Rosalind Hawk

I'm not sure that it has anything to do with doing each of those spells every day. It appears to me to be something more along the lines of an encyclopedia/spell calender, if you will, of spells that might have a positive alignment on those days.
Or, it really could be for daily things, but they could be minor.
I really don't know!

That's what I was guessing. Which was why my example was a spell for a pet one day and the weather the next.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:49 pm
i would think so the spells were just written a couple years ago that doesn't mean their no good
lots of books have spells written years ago that people still use today  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games