Submit

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:51 pm
The heatbulb blew... again. This one was our newest one.

So I was wondering... Since summer is coming, and their cages will naturally be warmer during the day (plus they have an under tank heater), if I could just use a regular light bulb in the heat lamp thing? Just to help them have "day" since my room isn't the brightest, being in the north side of the house.

And if so, would it have to be a specific type of lightbulb? There are those out there that have the day light spectrum in them... could probably get one of those.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:27 pm
Depends on what you are using it for. You may be able to use it for your heat bulb, but get a thermometer and see if it gets the temps to where they should be for your species. But you CAN'T use it for your UVA/UVB rays if you need those. Most diurnal species do, most nocturnal don't.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:17 am
Since they're natively from my backyard, the temps vary. Well, inside it never gets as cold as it does outside, and when summer kicks into high gear it'll never be as hot. But during the warm times I'll have the windows open.

... I thought UVA and UVB rays were bad and gave you skin cancer? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else....  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:46 am
kage no neko
Since they're natively from my backyard, the temps vary. Well, inside it never gets as cold as it does outside, and when summer kicks into high gear it'll never be as hot. But during the warm times I'll have the windows open.

... I thought UVA and UVB rays were bad and gave you skin cancer? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else....

Everything gives you cancer these days. But anyway, that's only if you get too much- UVA and UVB are necessary for humans.

Anyway, UVA and UVB rays is necessary for some reptiles (such as anoles, iguanas, and similar lizards, as well as many/all turtles and tortoises) in order to produce sufficient vitamin D. Vitamin D is important for calcium usage, so without sufficient amounts, they get stuff like metabolic bone disease (MBD). For turtles and tortoises, they get shell deformities and some other things. It's also necessary for birds to produce their vitamin D3 as well- without that, you're predisposing them to stuff like hypocalcemia, especially for African Greys. Hypocalcemia results in things like egg binding and soft, fragile bones.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:32 pm
Moth Feathers
kage no neko

Everything gives you cancer these days. But anyway, that's only if you get too much- UVA and UVB are necessary for humans.

Anyway, UVA and UVB rays is necessary for some reptiles (such as anoles, iguanas, and similar lizards, as well as many/all turtles and tortoises) in order to produce sufficient vitamin D. Vitamin D is important for calcium usage, so without sufficient amounts, they get stuff like metabolic bone disease (MBD). For turtles and tortoises, they get shell deformities and some other things. It's also necessary for birds to produce their vitamin D3 as well- without that, you're predisposing them to stuff like hypocalcemia, especially for African Greys. Hypocalcemia results in things like egg binding and soft, fragile bones.
The birds are in the dining room (that we pretty much never eat in) that has the south light, so they get lots of sun. And when it's warmer out, their cages get put out on the deck. So the birds don't have any problem smile .
Do you think my snakes need it though?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 pm
kage no neko
Moth Feathers
kage no neko

The birds are in the dining room (that we pretty much never eat in) that has the south light, so they get lots of sun. And when it's warmer out, their cages get put out on the deck. So the birds don't have any problem smile .
Do you think my snakes need it though?

I was just adding it as just a fun trivia thing, I don't know about your birds.

But snakes, no, they don't need it.
You should read more about UVA/UVB here. It's pretty basic in reptile care, and even though snakes don't need it, you should learn more about it, it's good to know.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:55 pm
Moth Feathers

You should read more about UVA/UVB here. It's pretty basic in reptile care, and even though snakes don't need it, you should learn more about it, it's good to know.
Ah, okay. smile I'll read that in a moment.
So.. I could just put a regular light bulb in the heat lamp and it should work fine, just not as hot?

Edit: reading it, okay then. biggrin Should work.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:57 pm
kage no neko
Moth Feathers

So.. I could just put a regular light bulb in the heat lamp and it should work fine, just not as hot?

If you have an undertank heating pad, I don't see why you also need a heat lamp, unless you have a really weak heating pad that needs supplementation.
I mean, you can give a heat lamp if you want (and yes, a regular bulb would be fine, but if it's for heat purposes you want incandescent over fluorescent, since incandescents put out much more heat), but there's not really a point to it, assuming your heat pad is adequate.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:26 pm
Moth Feathers
kage no neko
Moth Feathers

If you have an undertank heating pad, I don't see why you also need a heat lamp, unless you have a really weak heating pad that needs supplementation.
I mean, you can give a heat lamp if you want (and yes, a regular bulb would be fine, but if it's for heat purposes you want incandescent over fluorescent, since incandescents put out much more heat), but there's not really a point to it, assuming your heat pad is adequate.
Yeah, just my point with this is to give them "day" since my room doesn't get that much light.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:31 am
kage no neko
Moth Feathers
kage no neko
Moth Feathers

Yeah, just my point with this is to give them "day" since my room doesn't get that much light.

unless its too dark for you to read in your room it should be fine and you shouldnt need another light. if you can tell its daytime then so can they  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items