Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Solitary or Coven Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Solitary or Coven?
  Solitary
  Coven
  This'll give me gold if I click it right? Coolios!
View Results

-FoUnD-AT-LaSt-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm currently a solitary, but they way i Learn I would prefer to meet up with a coven but there is no Coven local enough for me to meet up with people who are like me sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:49 am
Currently I'm solitary. Theirs plenty of covens around me everywhere I go, but I just don't trust the people in then enough to join their coven. I've been to many different events and celebrations and learnt a lot from different people, but I move around so much and haven't really found a place where I feel comfortable yet. I just hope someday I can find a coven to share different knowledge with and where I can feel accepted.  

Fieoras

Pixie Pasha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:07 pm
⊕--------

I'm so confused. I though you had to be in a coven to be a Wiccan other wise you were a seeker (spelling?). I guess I'm still ignorant on some things.

-------⊕

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:15 pm
Pixie Pasha
⊕--------

I'm so confused. I though you had to be in a coven to be a Wiccan other wise you were a seeker (spelling?). I guess I'm still ignorant on some things.

-------⊕

You aren't. Wicca is a coven-based practice. A Seeker is someone looking for a Wiccan coven to study with.

That being said, not all covens are Wiccans, and it's entirely possible to be a solitary witch.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 pm
I wouldn't mind giving the whole coven thing a go at some stage just not quite yet  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:34 am
Morgandria
Pixie Pasha
⊕--------

-------⊕

You aren't. Wicca is a coven-based practice. A Seeker is someone looking for a Wiccan coven to study with.

That being said, not all covens are Wiccans, and it's entirely possible to be a solitary witch.
⊕--------

So a solitary witch would be some one that was initiated into a Wiccan coven but chooses to practice alone?

-------⊕

Pixie Pasha

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:39 am
Pixie Pasha
Morgandria
Pixie Pasha
⊕--------

-------⊕

⊕--------

So a solitary witch would be some one that was initiated into a Wiccan coven but chooses to practice alone?

-------⊕

A solitary witch is a solitary witch but to be Wiccan you must be initiated into a coven. Witch and Wiccan aren't the same thing even though Wiccans do practice witchcraft.
Confusing isnt it  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:55 am
Pixie Pasha

No. All Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccan. As Esselean pointed out, witchcraft and Wicca are not synonymous terms. A person can be a witch, without being a Wiccan, and it's perfectly acceptable to call ones' self a solitary witch if you work alone. Wicca as a religion incorporates witchcraft as part of its' practice - hense why all Wiccans are witches - but without initiation into the Mysteries, a witch is not a Wiccan.

Since that practice is also coven-based, even an initiated Wiccan cannot practice Wicca by themselves. Outside the context of the coven, the rites make little sense and in some cases aren't possible to perform solo.

The only real 'solitary' Wiccan is an initiate who may be separated from their coven by distance, illness, a move, etc. and isn't able to worship with them. Even in such a case - they are still Wiccan, because they are an initiate, but what they do on their own isn't Wicca.

Example: When I perform ritual at home, alone, I am technically performing neo-pagan ritual. Although those rituals still have a good deal of Wiccan 'flavour' to them, I wouldn't, and don't, call them Wicca; it's very different from working with a coven. I still do solitary work - sometimes weather cancels a coven meeting, and l feel that working alone is important and fufilling, and sometimes working alone is required by my training. But it isn't the same as the core rites, and I don't pretend that it is.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Pixie Pasha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:46 am
⊕--------

I should have stated that clearer. I meant solitary witch in the Wiccan seance. It seams I've put my foot in my mouth a lot resonantly. Thank you both for your explanations. You've cleared alot up for me. The workings of Wicca are very interesting and I'm afraid I have another question regarding covens. Once you have become part of one are you in it indefinitely?

-------⊕

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 pm
Pixie Pasha
⊕--------

I should have stated that clearer. I meant solitary witch in the Wiccan seance. It seams I've put my foot in my mouth a lot resonantly. Thank you both for your explanations. You've cleared alot up for me. The workings of Wicca are very interesting and I'm afraid I have another question regarding covens. Once you have become part of one are you in it indefinitely?

-------⊕

Not nescessarily. Some covens reach the end of their working lifespan and disband, leaving the members to seek out or form new covens. Sometimes a parent coven hives a daughter coven, when a new 3rd decides to form their own group. And individuals are free to leave a coven if they decide to, so long as they maintain the oaths they have sworn.

However, being part of a coven is like being part of a family. If you are a proper person for that group, and you have worked with them for a length of time, that can be a lot of work and effort to walk away from. There is a great deal of intimacy and closeness between the members of a coven - essentially you are 'breaking up' with that group when you leave, like ending any serious relationship.

You really have to weigh your options and be sure that's what's best for you - it is unlikely you would be welcomed back into the group with open arms a second time, and if you find a new group, you start over at square one, essentially.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Little Schnook

150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:48 pm
I'm solitary the now. I would however really like to join a coven some day though. Thing is there aren't any covens close by where i stay, which is a shame really - i feel it would be a little more beneficial as i'd have the help and experience of more advanced witches to help me on my pathway.

I do have a couple friends that both have the same beliefs as me, and we do some practicing/studying together which is quite nice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:26 pm
Anyone here form Mexico??? Specially Morelos???

thing is down here it`s really hard (and I mean HELLISHLY hard) to find a coven so most pagans/wiccans/witches are pretty much going solo except for the occasional sharing of personal anecdotes with others. I believe this is because the vast majority of people around these parts are catholic/christian and are still very apprehensive against these topics... most here still believe tarot is the devils bait for human beings...  

Azfarel Whitemoon

Teh Bloody Princess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:02 am
Think for yourself man, don't do like they do...

I'm solitary.
I don't really want to join a coven. I'm happy being solitary.
I could easily join one I'm of legal age and all that.
But I just don't want people trying to impress their beliefs and ways on me.
I'm happy the way I practice and feel closer to the God and Goddess when alone.
Plus the one closest to me does alot in the nude and....yeah-no thank you. I don't want anyone seeing me naked!

...It's a sick world, you just gotta stay true.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:59 pm
I am currently a solitary witch. All the covens say I have to be 18 to be a member, so I have to wait  

xXLovely_GrlXx

Sam Oaken Willow 17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:53 pm
I'd rather stay Solitare. Group work isn't all it's cut out to be.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games