Do you think it's ok to drink?
  yes
  no way!
  gasp! How can you even think that!
View Results

Mein Kulturkampf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:56 pm
eies3
Drinking is okay at times...but under age drinking is just bad...i do admit that i have been sucked into the temptation at times...but its just wrong when i take a step back...its a regret...even to this day i still find it hard to say no to a drink now and then and im still way too young...but yeah only if your old enough its okay to drink...i mean take a look a our savoiur...on a number of occassions he would drink as festivities for his father...but you would never get drunk...that just leads into sin which is against our christian faith of course...getting drunk makes you easily vulnerable to sin...

....so...just a sum up...
1) It okay to drink
2) It's not okay to drink under age...take myself as an example
3) Jesus drank for festivities only
4) Just don't get drunk because it makes you vulnerable to sin

In response to 2: Age limits are a cultural concept. For example, in North America, we cannot legally drink until we turn 18 or 21, but in Europe, the age is 12, or there is no official age at all.

In response to 3: Just because the Bible only TELLS us that Jesus drank at festivals doesn't mean those were the only times he drank. The Bible itself is biased towards festivals, because that's where the people gathered and things worth mentioning happened. I can't see any problem with having a beer after school, or a glass of wine with dinner, or a nightcap before bed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:36 am

<3

Jesus drank wine. So did many prominent men in The Bible. Christ did not sin.

Getting drunk is bad, obviously, because you often make poor decisions and can hurt yourself or others. But having a drink with dinner, or drinking responsibly, is not a sin.

<3

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

eies3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:03 am
Mein Kulturkampf
eies3
Drinking is okay at times...but under age drinking is just bad...i do admit that i have been sucked into the temptation at times...but its just wrong when i take a step back...its a regret...even to this day i still find it hard to say no to a drink now and then and im still way too young...but yeah only if your old enough its okay to drink...i mean take a look a our savoiur...on a number of occassions he would drink as festivities for his father...but you would never get drunk...that just leads into sin which is against our christian faith of course...getting drunk makes you easily vulnerable to sin...

....so...just a sum up...
1) It okay to drink
2) It's not okay to drink under age...take myself as an example
3) Jesus drank for festivities only
4) Just don't get drunk because it makes you vulnerable to sin

In response to 2: Age limits are a cultural concept. For example, in North America, we cannot legally drink until we turn 18 or 21, but in Europe, the age is 12, or there is no official age at all.

In response to 3: Just because the Bible only TELLS us that Jesus drank at festivals doesn't mean those were the only times he drank. The Bible itself is biased towards festivals, because that's where the people gathered and things worth mentioning happened. I can't see any problem with having a beer after school, or a glass of wine with dinner, or a nightcap before bed.

Hmm...thanks for the heads up about that...i stand corrected...thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:47 pm
I think it is fine to drink. They did it in the Bible, wine was safer than water with the alchol content. But only in moderation is it ok.  

SwimerD

Luphstorm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 am
Grapes have a natural yeast on them, so when you crush them, and make them into juice, if you let it sit, it WILL ferment.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. My grandfather makes wine and stuff.

I think, drinking is not a sin,

Getting drunk is.

Getting drunk and doing sinful stuff because you are drunk, definitely is.

I don't drink. At least not in public, because I am underage and I would be disobeying the laws of my country/land. (That's a sin). I do, however, drink at home, with family. It's fine then, because I am not in a public place. Also I think the law specifically pretains to the buying and selling of alcohol. the consumption is the public drunkeness thing.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:35 am
Our bodies are vessels of the Holy Spirit so why would we contaminate them? The Bible says "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual worship." (Romans 12:1) (NIV) Think of how this passage fits into this discussion. By putting alcohol in our bodies do we not contaminate them?  

short_blue_books

short_blue_books

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:50 am
Also consider this "Everything is permissible -but not everything is beneficial.Everything is permissible -but not everythng is constructive." (1 Co. 10:23) (NIV)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm
drinking is fine, unless you overdo it (getting wasted) which would then put it into the category of gluttony... and that is a sin domokun  

Lexille

Luphstorm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:01 pm
10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' " Matthew 15:11-12  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:14 am
Yea I know getting drunk is a sin. But its only one sip away. If you give the devil one inch he'll take your life. Thats why The Bible says do NOT give satan a foot hold. Don't let him have anything over you.
Its not good to drink. Do you think The Holy Spirit wants to occupy the same space as jack daniels? Ask GOD if its ok and don't drink a drop until you hear from HIM!

Personally, I do not think it is a sin especially since Jesus did turn water into wine. I do agree with you big time on the part about not allowing Satan to have a foothold on you. I do not drink. One of the main reasons is because I am afraid that if the wrong person finds out, they will push me to drink more until I do get drunk and end up becoming a drinker. I also believe that many non-Christians don't think it's ok to drink so when they see someone will claims to be a child of God, it gives them more reason to call Christian hypocrites. I definately like the part about the Holy Spirit occuping the same space as Jack Daniels. I think that when a person because drunk, they will not listen to the Holy Spirit residing in them. That is more likely the main reason people should not get drunk. I don't even think people should get buzzed or tipsy though either.  

Casperetta

Nippy x3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm
Drinking is totally not sin! I woulnd't drink becuase I don't need to keep coming back to a Beverage, but rather Jesus of the Universe x333  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 pm

IN MY CHURCH IT IS " A COMMANDMENT" FOR US TO AVOID ALCOHOL,ILLEGAL DRUGS,CIGARETTES,COFFEE, AND TEA..(EXCEPT HERBAL TEAS) I USE TO DRINK AND ALCOHOLISM RUNS ON MY FATHERS SIDE. THESE ARE STIMULATES THAT NOT ONLY EFFECTS OUR HEALTH,OUR BRAIN, AND YES, OUR SPIRITUALITY AND RELATIONSHIP W/ GOD. I KNOW FOR MYSELF AND WHY ,ETC..,THRU MY EXPERIENCES.
MAYBE, ALSO, LOOK AT IT THIS WAY..WE ARE GOD'S CHILDREN,HE CREATED US,WE SHOULD TREAT OUR BODIES AS A TEMPLE UNTO GOD.WE WOULD BE CONSIDERED DESECRATING OUR BODIES.
GOD "DOES NOT LIKE UNCLEAN OR UNHOLY".WE ARE ALSO TAUGHT TO FOLLOW CHRISTS EXAMPLES AND BECOME CHRISTLIKE.WE CANNOT TRUELY BE SEEKING THE KINGDOM OF THE LORD 1ST & FOREMOST,BE FOCUSED ON CHRIST...OR WORK..OR SCHOOL...OR FAMILY...I CAN TESTIFY OF THE DIFFERENCE.  

cuda469

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:06 am
So what do you have to say to the still active European church (think about it like this: the 24/7 Prayer Movement started in England) who partakes in drink?

Honestly, I'm just of the belief that one should constantly exercise common sense. Don't do dumb things whilst drunk.

A lot of people have a common misconception that the rational thought process is stopped whilst drunk. From personal experience, this is not the case. You can still think. You don't even deal with that "fog" until you're past what you should be drinking, anyway. A lot of people just use drink as an excuse to do whatever they want, because they're like, "Well, my inhibitions are gone..." Hardly! You lose your inhibitions because you allow yourself to. You defile yourself on your own volition. You are still fully responsible for your own actions. I don't buy into this belief that one gets "out of control" whilst drunk - or on any substance. They do it because they simply stop asserting who they are and what their values are, and give in to the basal desires.

Control yourself. A Biblical principle stressed by many authors.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:06 pm
I see nothing wrong with having a bit of alcohol now and then but getting drunk is going too far. Also I am sure someone already stated that Jesus did drink wine now and then.  

Herself Online

TheBoyBrushedInRed

Dedicated Millionaire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 am
actually
Jesus drank alcohol
and a little alcohol can be good for you if used the right way
but getting drunk you lose control of yourself and potentially dangerous

and Jesus drank wine
on a daily basis
it cant be wrong  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild