Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
When I was your age, you had to walk 15 feet to the phone! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShinnyNeko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:38 pm
when i was a kid, pluto was still a planet. =<

(still is in my book >_>....<_<...>_>..)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:37 pm
hell i'm still a kid sweatdrop but i'm 21...
well yes pluto was still considered a planet,
we used to be able to find the fake cigarettes that were gum in the center at the grocery store...
we had chalk boards instead of wipe boards. some classrooms did though
my computer harddrive was only 20Gb and like 156k of ram lol
a 32" television was considered "Big"  

Sl1pstr3am2010

Dapper Lunatic

rrdxiv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:20 pm
Shadowdragon087
hell i'm still a kid sweatdrop but i'm 21...
my computer harddrive was only 20Gb and like 156k of ram lol
a 32" television was considered "Big"

The computer I used up until recently has a 6G hard drive.
Funny to think that portable flash memory in sticks is bigger than that a lot of the time.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:13 pm
I'm still a kid at 51 and plan on staying that way! But I remember in the very early 80's the VCR for home use came out. I went to one of those pay by the week rent-to-own places and ended up paying a final price of $750.00 for a 2-head VCR. The funniest thing to remember was that it had a "wired" remote.

The remote had very few controls and was only about 3"x5" and on 8 feet of wire that plugged in the front jack on the VCR. That meant you had to be sitting less that 8 feet from the VCR and TV.

And if anyone walked in front of you, they would trip over the cord and get cussed at for sure.  

Arkjinnahn

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:04 am
"When I was your age" ... we only had 5 channels to choose from on our Black and White TV! If we wanted to change the channel, we had to physically get up out of our chair and use the channel selector knob found on the TV! rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:17 am
When I was a kid, EVERYBODY with kids and expanded cable service knew who the Mario Bros were because the Mario cartoons were shown in reruns on The Family Channel. I had to buy them on DVD to see them outside of YouTube.  

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Rayhenart

8,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:22 am
When I was a kid, I didn't have the "Internet" gonk
Gas was $0.88 per gallon (ah memories)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the live action movie) were awesome! (I still think they are lol)
No strict security checkpoints at the airports crying
Nintendo (NES) was the must-have video game console xd

Wow, good times blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 am
Zaeyde
And it was uphill both ways!
We didn't have cell phones! If you wanted a portable phone, you carried it around in a backpack!
When I was a kid, Pluto was a planet!
Hey! My mp3 player was a Sony Walkman, and it played Cassettes!

I didn't have no new-fangled interwebs like you young'uns.

And...
Ok, that's all I got for now.

Thanks for letting me in to the guild! Hi! xD

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl  

Shuyajin

lady leko-chan

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:55 am
hahah
wow never thought I would be able to laugh about hings like that!
truly great  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:24 am
Karill
Alexandretta

Gas was 89 cents/gallon

Please excuse my loud wails of misery as I fork over $40 to fill up my 12 gallon tank of my crap Saturn.
well back then minimum wage was waaaay lower, but again gas here is at $3.79 yet minimum wage has not made up for the difference this time around sweatdrop  

Creepy Clown Town

butter nut crunch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 am
When I was a child there were no disposable diapers so when my mom changed my brother's diaper, it was my job to take it to the toilet to dump it out, flush and then rinse before putting it in the diaper pail. There were no car seats or seat belts. The 8-track seemed to be an improvement over the vinyl.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 am
when I was your age and I had a big research project I had to go to the library every day from open to close dag nabbit!  

Creepy Clown Town

Creepy Clown Town

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am
when I was young it seemed everything was some form of the color yellow.Like we had those big ugly yellow washer and dryers, not the pretty but the old looking yellow and a matching phone too  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:46 am
You all make good points.

It funny how we appreciate the things long gone more then when we actually have it.

With the phones, when I was first growing up my family used a ugly green rotary phone and then the touch tone with 15 foot extension cord. When the portable phones came out they had the standard buttons, but they had a battery just as large nearly doubling the size of the phone.

The next phase was a car phone. We did not have one, that was for rich people trying to look important. The car phones had to be installed in the car with a antenna sticking out of the car.  

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100

jypsie-lady

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 pm
the first two games i remember playing on a computer were pong and solitare and you actually had to use the 'f' keys and the arrows, no mouse.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff