Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
When I was your age, you had to walk 15 feet to the phone! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zaeyde

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:53 am
And it was uphill both ways!
We didn't have cell phones! If you wanted a portable phone, you carried it around in a backpack!
When I was a kid, Pluto was a planet!
Hey! My mp3 player was a Sony Walkman, and it played Cassettes!

I didn't have no new-fangled interwebs like you young'uns.

And...
Ok, that's all I got for now.

Thanks for letting me in to the guild! Hi! xD  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:03 am
when I was your age I would fill my gas tank to the top, pay with a twenty and get change! We rolled down our car windows with our hands and arm strength, no automatic anything!  

Creepy Clown Town

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:01 pm
When I was a child of the late 70s-80s..

Gas was 89 cents/gallon and Grandma would be bullshit
Spiced Ham was 99/lb and Grandma would be excited (????)

They still had the old fashioned long neck cocacola bottle for 25 cents!!!

Gallon of milk was 79 cents, but no more than 99 cents..

Loaf of Wonderbread white bread was 75 cents.. OHHH the peanut butter jelly sandwiches HAD to be on Wonderbread..

a small container of bubbles with the wand was 10 cents

When nasty bubble gum was still found in a pack of baseball cards, but we didnt care, the gum was thought of being free! LOL

Remember Wax Lips??? 25 cents each! LOL that was the highlight of my day!

Ohhhh, when it was so simple... and compared to now.. we had it so much easier..  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:27 pm
Alexandretta

Gas was 89 cents/gallon

Please excuse my loud wails of misery as I fork over $40 to fill up my 12 gallon tank of my crap Saturn.  

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

AngeliQ

Fashionable Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:57 pm
User Image
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

yes I remember faintly, cassettes very retro. And a world without interwebs...wow...thinking back I have been on the internet half my life....been watching tv the other half...and yeah cellphones...all those things,we all get so easily used to them as if they were always there....100 years ago people didn't even have electricity everywhere....

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

User Image
AngeliQ.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:50 pm
Karill
Alexandretta

Gas was 89 cents/gallon

Please excuse my loud wails of misery as I fork over $40 to fill up my 12 gallon tank of my crap Saturn.

Dear god... I feel your pain hun... I asked my grandmother recently, "Do you remember when you used to complain about 89 cents a gallon for gas?"

She rolls her eyes and says "dont go there if you want to live" LOL  

Wixandrettas

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:26 pm
When I was your age, I had to walk FIFTEEN MILES to school. And I didn't have your fancy walking shoes or denim jacket.

When I was your age, I had to walk FIFTEEN FEET to use the phone. And it didn't have all those neat little buttons that made noises.

When I was your age I had to walk FIFTEEN FEET to change the channel. And I couldn't just punch in the number of the channel, either.
I had to start from channel 2, and then go to three, then four...  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:32 pm
When I was your age we had FM radio... and it was staticy... none of this newfangled satellite or HD radio crap!  

TrinityisNeo

IRL Lunatic

2,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Brandisher 100

Catira Norr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:01 pm
Hm... let's see...

-TV was black and white, and there was only one in the whole neighborhood
-Telephone was rotary dial, with a twirly cord and a lady at the other end saying "How may I connect you?"
-You were scared of policemen because they might tell your mom or dad
-The technology on James Bond was just way to impossible to ever exist
-"Saturday Night Fever" was X-rated and considered so violent that they really did ask for ID before they let you in
- You washed the dishes in the sink... yes, by hand!
- Pizza was considered so exotic and upscale that your popularity soared at school if you could even spell it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:31 pm
Takarada Kaoru
When I was your age, I had to walk FIFTEEN MILES to school. And I didn't have your fancy walking shoes or denim jacket.

When I was your age, I had to walk FIFTEEN FEET to use the phone. And it didn't have all those neat little buttons that made noises.

When I was your age I had to walk FIFTEEN FEET to change the channel. And I couldn't just punch in the number of the channel, either.
I had to start from channel 2, and then go to three, then four...

And we had to turn it slow or it would mess up the stations!!!  

Lil-Jo
Crew

Mikiba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:49 pm
Zaeyde
And it was uphill both ways!
We didn't have cell phones! If you wanted a portable phone, you carried it around in a backpack!
When I was a kid, Pluto was a planet!
Hey! My mp3 player was a Sony Walkman, and it played Cassettes!

I didn't have no new-fangled interwebs like you young'uns.

And...
Ok, that's all I got for now.

Thanks for letting me in to the guild! Hi! xD

I recognize you from somewhere...do you know a user named Broken Dreams? She's a friend of mine in real life and I think she used to post a lot in your threads in the GCD. That being said, welcome xD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:49 pm
When I was your age I had to wait FIFTEEN minutes before Rugrats started when I turned on the TV!

When I was your age, I had to pay...well....the same amount for a hot dog from Costco...it really hasn't changed in YEARS.  

TemporarilyIdle

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:00 am
When I was a kid:

Televisions didn't have 'remotes' and they only had one button. You pulled it to turn on the TV, pushed it to turn it off, and rotated it radially to adjust the volume. They also had ONE knob which would use a channel from 2 to 13, plus the snow-channel called U. No one knew why it said U instead of 1, but it did. Also, no one knew why there were channels 2 through 13, when only channels 4 and 6 ever showed anything but grey snow.

Telephones were hooked to the wall in the kitchen, with a pad of paper and a pencil in a nearby drawer. Answering machine? No such animal existed. If you wanted a message, you had to depend on other family members. Voicemail? Pshaw! If the number was busy, you called back.

You could get a candy bar and a Coke for yourself and one for your best friend, and that was your weekly $1 allowance.

At school, you could stand in line, hand over a little red plastic token, and get your lunch on a plastic tray. There'd be something involving meat, such as roast beef or a chicken leg or a bowl of chili; a vegetable, usually green beans; another vegetable like carrots or corn; and a small cookie for dessert. There'd be a half-pint of white milk as well, except on Fridays, when there was juice. If you didn't like what the school offered, or if you had allergies or religious restrictions (like me), you brought your own darned lunch. There were no choices of "I'll have this, I'll have that, none of that please."

Computers were science fiction, Star Trek (which we called Star Track), along with robots.

Credit cards were for the wealthy. On the other hand, everyone had a place to live. There might be ten or fifteen people in a household, but NOBODY was so poor that they couldn't find a place for an unfortunate relative or friend to share their roof.

Everybody knew what a 'midriff' was (look it up, for pity's sake), and everybody knew that you couldn't expose it during school. Same thing with shoulders and knees. If you expected to be in school, then you were covered from elbows to neck to knees, no questions asked or answered.

Cartoons were Warner Brothers. Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd. If you were allowed to watch TV on Saturdays, that's what you watched. If you weren't, TOO BAD, because that kid stuff didn't air on weekdays. Weekday television was the news, and church broadcasts. Oh, and at two o'clock every day in the summer, we could watch The Mickey Mouse Show on reruns. Why not three o'clock? Because the kids in Eastern time zone got to watch it right after school all year long, but the kids in Central got it an hour earlier, which meant we couldn't watch it after school during the school year. If the Eastern kids could've waited one hour for their Mouseketeer fix, we could have seen at least part of the show after we got home from school, but noooOOOOOooo.

Kids actually said to each other, "Mrs. Wilson's too old to rake her lawn. Let's go rake it for her." And then we actually did go and rake the old lady's lawn. And sometimes, afterward, she gave us cake and told us stories about her youth.

You could visit a friend after you telephoned to make sure they were home, unless they didn't have a phone, in which case you could just show up -- but if you did, you'd bring over a pie or some biscuits, because for darned sure they'd have coffee on the boil, just in case someone stopped by.

Sundays were fish days from April through September. At least one person on the block would make hush puppies, fix up a salad or some other kind of vegetable, and start up a deep-fryer in the yard. Everyone else would bring by some fish to dip in the batter and share and eat. Once football season started, the fish would be replaced by burgers. My mother, in those days, wasn't the only one who would slice and fry her own French fries instead of buying a freezer bag from OreIda and sticking them in the oven like some lazy rich person would do.

Crayons came in eight colors. Not sixteen, not sixty-four, not one hundred and however-many, but eight. We'd all seen the bigger, fancier boxes, but none of us could afford them, so the local stores just stopped carrying them entirely. They weren't for us.

Adults had titles. Mister, Miss, Miz (which was the same, whether it was spelled Mrs. or Ms.), Doctor, Rabbi, Captain, Ma'am, Sir. I was told that I'd be Miss Divash if I ever won an award or performed onstage (which turned out to be true), Miss when I graduated high school, and Mrs. once I got married. Then in about 1985, students started being told to call teachers by their first names, and I realized no one would ever give me the respectful title I had always bestowed faithfully on adults, in the once-sure knowledge that someday it would be my turn to be spoken to with respect. Still waiting.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:12 pm
Divash

Adults had titles. Mister, Miss, Miz (which was the same, whether it was spelled Mrs. or Ms.), Doctor, Rabbi, Captain, Ma'am, Sir. I was told that I'd be Miss Divash if I ever won an award or performed onstage (which turned out to be true), Miss when I graduated high school, and Mrs. once I got married. Then in about 1985, students started being told to call teachers by their first names, and I realized no one would ever give me the respectful title I had always bestowed faithfully on adults, in the once-sure knowledge that someday it would be my turn to be spoken to with respect. Still waiting.

Hey! Not all 80s babies called adults by their first names. To me, everyone older then my age group was Mr/Ms/etc, save family members. I still want to call older adults Mr/Ms/etc, and I'm 24!  

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:05 pm
When I was younger, if you had a computer you used a dox matrix printer and it ran DOS. The mouse was a novelty. 640 MB of RAM was enough to run anything. That's what Bill Gates once said, anyways.

MTV played music videos and we had only to worry about the USSR instead of many fragmented enemies today. I remember the cold war.

I had a walkman, not an iPod.

I grew up in the 80s. smile  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas