Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
How to educate a self-righteous... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SuperOtaku

Anxious Genius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:00 pm
Okay, long story short. Sitting in my Death and Dying class, we talk about spirituality for a second, right? This guy at the front mentions Wicca, and the teacher asks the class "do any of you guys know what Wicca is?"

My answer: "Ditheistic religion set forth by Gerald Gardner in the fifties."

He just looks back and gives me like... the smuggest, I'm better than you look I've ever seen.

I wanted to stab his eyes out with my pen. 4laugh

Worst part ever, though? The teacher AGREED with him that it was like, an old a** pagan religion.

I thought college knew better.

I intend to show his a** wrong. Links and testimonies, please?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:06 pm
SuperOtaku
Okay, long story short. Sitting in my Death and Dying class, we talk about spirituality for a second, right? This guy at the front mentions Wicca, and the teacher asks the class "do any of you guys know what Wicca is?"

My answer: "Ditheistic religion set forth by Gerald Gardner in the fifties."

He just looks back and gives me like... the smuggest, I'm better than you look I've ever seen.

I wanted to stab his eyes out with my pen. 4laugh

Worst part ever, though? The teacher AGREED with him that it was like, an old a** pagan religion.

I thought college knew better.

I intend to show his a** wrong. Links and testimonies, please?

Ronald Hutton's book. Triumph of the Moon. Heavily dense, pure information.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:09 pm
Any chance you have to do presentations in this class? If so, you might be able to incorporate Wicca into it, to a degree. When challenged on it, you could whip out your supporting evidence.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:16 pm
Aino Ailill
Any chance you have to do presentations in this class? If so, you might be able to incorporate Wicca into it, to a degree. When challenged on it, you could whip out your supporting evidence.

I don't think so; spirituality and religious beliefs aren't the main core of the class. They just happened to bring it up.

However, I intend to still prove him wrong and show it to him.
Possibly just gathering everything for him in a folder, maybe buying him a book or two and saying "Here. You pissed me off so much that I actually went out of my way to do this for you."  

SuperOtaku

Anxious Genius

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:59 pm
SuperOtaku

Possibly just gathering everything for him in a folder, maybe buying him a book or two and saying "Here. You pissed me off so much that I actually went out of my way to do this for you."

I'd go with Hutton or Adler myself.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:26 pm
SuperOtaku
Aino Ailill

I don't think so; spirituality and religious beliefs aren't the main core of the class. They just happened to bring it up.

I wouldn't get him a book because it would probably end up in the trash or burned or something. I would just type him a paper with facts from the books. I would die if I even had one of my books destroyed. crying  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:44 pm
Aakosir
I wouldn't get him a book because it would probably end up in the trash or burned or something. I would just type him a paper with facts from the books. I would die if I even had one of my books destroyed. crying
This is why Amazon is love. You can buy books for your library that are already kinda thrashed, so if you give them out and never see them again, it doesn't cut as deep.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:56 pm
TeaDidikai
Aakosir
This is why Amazon is love. You can buy books for your library that are already kinda thrashed, so if you give them out and never see them again, it doesn't cut as deep.

directtextbook.com is love.

ninja  

Bastemhet

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:25 am
Maybe it would be better to present your professor with the information during their office hours? They can be a little more willing to learn about something that's contrary to what they were aware of, especially if you have good supporting evidence. I know this isn't always the case (I've had some whacked out profs before), but I can see it turning out better that way than with a self righteous student.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:30 am
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Aakosir

directtextbook.com is love.

ninja
Doesn't have the infrastructure last I checked.  

TeaDidikai

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:04 am
I'd still be upset if any book was defiled. Falling apart or not.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 am
Aakosir
I'd still be upset if any book was defiled. Falling apart or not.
Byproduct of working in a library. Books are sacred, but they're also subject to entropy.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Accept that you were, are, and always will be, surrounded by idiots who either have already made up their minds, or just don't care.
There are exceptions, and when offered the truth of the matter, they will take to it, or at least look at it... but don't expect it. you best bet is to internalize that this old argument, and many others, are effectively done. The truth lost and the Rhetors giggle with self-delight.
Those who care about the truth, rather than being considered correct are effectively in the wrong in any mob-ruled society... and many societies besides
The Truth has become the Wrong answer.

If you think some financial institution masquerading as an educational one will be any different, well, I can only ask that you apply the same study and critical thinking to your environment that you would like the people around you to apply to Wicca's history.
What you find may not be pleasant. Then again, the truth is rarely comfortable, especially when it is unpopular.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 am
Rather cynical Fiddler.
I don't think people actually want to be wrong, and once they get over the attachment to what they thought they knew, they likely will not only examine what is in front of them, but may even extend it outwards to other areas of interest.  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am
TeaDidikai
Rather cynical Fiddler.
I don't think people actually want to be wrong, and once they get over the attachment to what they thought they knew, they likely will not only examine what is in front of them, but may even extend it outwards to other areas of interest.
I agree. By and large, I feel people want to have the truth, however, finding it is something of an arduous task, and not everyone feels up to it. it's very daunting.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff