Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are you For Gaia or Against Gaia?

For Gaia! 0.058585858585859 5.9% [ 29 ]
Against Gaia! 0.44040404040404 44.0% [ 218 ]
I disagree with Gaia's actions, I don't know about leaving though. 0.5010101010101 50.1% [ 248 ]
Total Votes:[ 495 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 >

IRL Labtech

I'm for it given that they announced the details or the security issue. Bringing the game back is NOT a good idea because it puts many people at risk.

I guarantee anyone who wants zOMG! back, then gets hacked or w/e from this security issue would be whining at Gaia asking why they didn't do something about it. Gaia takes security really seriously.

Gaia has every right to take the game down if it wasn't bringing in enough money to keep the servers up. The price of powerups probably wasn't nearly enough to break even since most of the people I knew who played didn't buy from the cash shop or flat out refused.

I don't believe they took it down for money-related issues though. I feel like one of the few who actually believes Gaia when they say there was a big security issue.

Since they've told us what the security issue is (or what it's about), they can't put the game back up without fixing it. Anyone with experience woiuld probably have no problem going in and screwing a bunch of people over. And then people would be even more pissed at Gaia for putting the game back up.

Gaia has been trying lately to restore the s**t that they did in the past.

They are putting out less announcements (and condensing them now), they are trying with Ask The Staff (not perfect, but it's a start), they are listening to us when we report bugs or glitches with events and what not, they've ben updating the manga after the big uproar that happened over it being left on the backburner, they finally released the new inventory arranger, they are finally listening to us again.

Dapper Member

350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Just got back into gaia, but might be leave again. Company has gone down hill from back in the day when i played. It's sad to see the money got in their way of doing what is right for the people...(not like they don't have enough as it is) but greed will beat the best of them, time for Gaia to hang it up and die off so something better can come along and hopefully not make the same stupid simple minded mistake again.
TheBabzilla
No, I'm not here to b*tch. I'm here to learn.

Can't we do both? biggrin

Sparkling Fairy

9,875 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
♡♥

I totally agree. I loved Gaia because of zOmg! and now it's gone crying it's the reason why I had friends and why I'm always online but now I think I'll leave officially because all I see is Inflation and no reason to have fun anymore.

♥♡

Fashionable Shapeshifter

10,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I was looking around to see if anyone was gonna try to even make a mock zOMG, since again. zOMG been the only reason the players that haven't been back in a while to have SOMETHING to do on this site. and I stumbled across this interview from 2010....

gaia_angelleft The Interview (not the movie) gaia_angelright

an interesting bit of it mentions the security of the game

Quote:
Once the client-side and server-side technologies are chosen, high-level choices will define which side the game logic lives on. zOMG is built on a custom client-side architecture. According to Georgeson, "As much as possible, the client is limited to rendering, input, and UI management. At times, it is necessary for the client to mimic limited server logic to give the appearance of smoother movement and responsive animations. The server handles everything beyond user input, display, and UI. This maintains a high level of security and prevents cheating by would-be hackers. Server logic includes all combat, all player interaction such as chat or invites, and all account details like quest progress and inventory."

If you want to read more about it, this quote is from a latter part of the interview with under "Back-End Technology"

IDK, if i'll get muted or banned for this info... BUT it's important info to the issue at hand none the less
I'm totally against this. zOMG was the main reason I actually use gaiaonline. I'm not saying it was the only reason as gaiaonline has many other amazing things but one of my personal favorites were zOMG. I'm so disappointed, I spend many hours on it!!

Invisible Smoker

7,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
We all know Zomg is gone and its sad really, we are blatantly lied to by our developers and mods as well about this over and over again, and then we get pushed into the corner for whatever stupid item they have brought out to suck up money on this site. If they re-release zomg at this rate its most likely going to become to stupid money sucker like a mobile game. The new gaia is like going to the same mom and pop shop you always loved after they sold out to a major corporation, the feel is still kind of there, but the love and devotion for the patrons seems to have died out for profit margins and sales quotas.

If we want to really play zomg again we need an independent server not run by gaia. Unfortunately that means we lose all our progress from before, but this also gives the players an opportunity to grow the game ourselves. The code is already there, now we just need the people with the know how and the willingness to do something like this. Hell, I'm sure if some that did banded together, our community could come together and help fund something like this. Its not like we would have the biggest game in the world, just one that we all loved.

I'm not trying to say I have no faith in the gaia owners of today, but I would be lying if I said I believed that they closed down Zomg cause of a "security situation".
I don't really have much to say in regards to hate or information, you've all been so good about that. Just, I stopped playing a few years ago for personal reasons. I lost my account information and had to start over from scratch. I was surprised how lucky I got with the daily machine thing in getting an item that could be sold for around 30mil...but, its so hollow. I got some cool gear and immediately thought, "now what?"
Well, I was searching for an answer for that for a while; I refound zOMG in its state and thought it was down for maintenance...until seeing the forums.
It may have been in beta, but it was the soul of the site for me. Knowing its gone changes everything; its all a huge cash grab, and for what? A glorified chat room? Ludicrously expensive paper dolls? I was alone, before, but there was hope that I could prove myself and 'earn' friends, that I could be a badass and save people as I had, before.
My fondest memories and reason for coming back resided in zOMG, and it took loosing it to realize that.
GaiaOnline won't see a penny from me, they don't deserve it and they're apparently not making an effort to earn it.
Games that aren't fun don't get supported.

Toxic Shade

5,800 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Party Member 100
Kronoton

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, there are people who are more than willing to talk with their wallets. Even ones that are still aware of what is going on, so cutting them off completely won't happen. But a good chunk of it should do the trick.

Arnold ShortsNpecker

You most certainly can!!
I only said that because I made this post after I had a small bit of a b*tch fit in a previous thread I made, lol.

------------------

I just want to thank everyone for their input, knowledge, opinions, and otherwise. Even if we don't agree, I'm glad that I can learn and see views from others.

Toxic Shade

5,800 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Party Member 100
Shannon-Jeva

While I agree that security is very important, and should be taken seriously, may I ask you how long zOMG! has been up and running?
May I state that hackers, once they have their mind set on hacking something, do not stop until they've accomplished what it is they are doing?
And in all this time, there as not been a single attempt to hack zOMG!, and if there were, we'd know about it?
Had Gaia staff not even mentioned the supposed "flaw" in the security of the game, things would still be running smoothly for as long as they have with zOMG!.

Gaia has made it clear that they area business now. If there's no cash flow, it's got to go. The "security flaws" were just a scapegoat, a lie to make us think that money had nothing to do with it, when in fact money has EVERYTHING to do with Gaia's very being now.

And the fact of the matter is, Gaia is making enough money to hire at least a small team that could fix zOMG!, and yet they're crying wolf about how they can't afford to pay for resources to fix the game, how "understaffed" they are (which, I could actually believe because a lot of the old staff that created and watched Gaia grown are GONE now).

It's one excuse and lie after the other, and they're becoming easier to see and detect these days.

I haven't noticed a single change with the announcements. All of them are still Gaia Cash related, and I still have the full 10 when I log in.

(Sorry if this is scattered, I wrote this while sleepy. lol)

Wheezing Sex Symbol

I've been using Gaia for a long time now. zOMG was a major high point for me. That was back when they actually gave a damn about us. But now with new owners it just feels like they only care about "Money money money money money money money." If they really wanted money, they can fix up zOMG, add in another area, add more items, and so much more. But what do I know? I'm just a normal citizen of Gaia who has been kicking trees/bushes for fun. stare

Demonic Hellraiser

ignorance and greed destroy dreams, worlds and online sites. this world sucks a**. emotion_zombie

Giver

Yeah, agree 100%

I might log on here every other day or so before I sleep. So about 15-20 minutes each time I'm on. I no longer support this site. I've donated a couple times. But nothing more than 25 dollars. But they'll never get another dime out of my wallet.

It's gone to s**t and all it cares about is money. When did this site stop being about the community? Family? Story Line? And about G-Cash, Gold, RNG's? I don't even know. Honestly, I feel the day they opened the Gaia Cash shop, that's when it went to crap. And that's when I stopped being so active. Because I knew the moment that came out. It was going to break every little thing on this site.

And it did neutral

Wealthy Hunter

12,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
They might as well shut down the Gaiaonline website. zOmg was the best thing that was on it and they think that the Virtual Hollywood is going to do better?No, Lol. It's like- either put zOmg back or plainly have everyone leave. It's that simple. . .

Toxic Shade

5,800 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Party Member 100
Like most people, I only come on here to check things. And really, the only thing I have to check now is this thread.
No more RPs to be had, everyone else has either moved on from the site, or had left a long while ago, before zOMG! was taken.
I guess that doesn't matter, my muse is being picky and only wants to do TMNT RPs anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff