Welcome to Gaia! ::

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
NinjarockerL505
Is this still open? Because if it is I'd love to do it.

Yup, it's still open!

Revered Nerd

June's Mini-Challenge: Dance!

For this challenge you have to describe to me two different forms of dance. The first one is an accessible, participatory form of dance (Think modern club dancing, hoe downs, etc... anything where anyone can jump in) and one exclusive form of dance (ballet, noh, anything that requires training or isn't usually seen by the proles.) Give me an overview of each of these dances. For example, you can explain to me how the dances are performed, who performs them and for who, whether there are meanings in the forms, what is worn during the dance, and what the general attitude towards them are.

The dances don't need to exist within the same culture.

Do this in at least 200 words and you will get 5k. Remember that you don't need to participate in the greater challenge to win this one.

Also, as a one time bonus of 1k, draw me at least two pictures of what the dance looks like performed. You can use stick figures, I just want to see the general idea.

Dance form one, the accessible participatory form, is the Trader's dance. Dance form two, the exclusive form, is the highly technical paint dancing.

The trader's dance is thematically very similar to folk dances, with a number of basic moves and steps that are then rearranged to fit into whatever dance and song is played. As far as the dances go, they can be done with any number of people as long as there is a big enough space to accommodate the dancers. The dances are very common, so as it stands most people will either know the dance or a variation of it and can easily join in as soon as the music starts. For those who do not know the dances it is easy to pick it up as you go as it is a simple matter of following what the person in front/to the side/everyone else is doing. Or for the more timid, as the dances are repetitive and just a few variations and changes in sequence on a few basic moves, you can watch, learn the steps and then jump in when you are ready. Luckily for both options the dances are very forgiving on missed beats and steps, the various forms accommodate all skill levels.

The paint dance is much less forgiving of learners. Paint dancing involves years of training and special skills, specially created equipment and dance floors, and requires precision with every movement and step. The dancers can be any number, with the larger number of dancers meaning a greater difficulty. Like in Ballet there is a small range of heights where the dancers may lay, however the similarity in height must only be among the dancers and there is no restriction on individuals. Paint dancing is done with magic infused chalk that is attached to the heels of the dancer in a special shoe, as they dance the chalk is deposited on the ground, and it eventually forms a pattern, the painted are usually employed because they also have illusion magic which can further enhance the optical properties of the dance. The spaces must be open, and to get a full view it is best to be at a raised position from the stage like with an amphitheater or the audience on a balcony above the space (Think basically a smaller version of the Nazca lines except it is only temporary). As such the only places that see much use are the upper echelons of the empire, usually restrained to the islands. The Arena in the Stone Lands is also equipped to be a suitable stage although the lack of trained dancers means it is not something that happens.

It is still June right? I had this written up a few days after you posted this and have been trying to draw the dances and have finally just decided to use stick figures. For the pictures, are they one picture of each dance or two pictures of the same dance like in a sequence?

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
whimsicaldreamer
June's Mini-Challenge: Dance!

For this challenge you have to describe to me two different forms of dance. The first one is an accessible, participatory form of dance (Think modern club dancing, hoe downs, etc... anything where anyone can jump in) and one exclusive form of dance (ballet, noh, anything that requires training or isn't usually seen by the proles.) Give me an overview of each of these dances. For example, you can explain to me how the dances are performed, who performs them and for who, whether there are meanings in the forms, what is worn during the dance, and what the general attitude towards them are.

The dances don't need to exist within the same culture.

Do this in at least 200 words and you will get 5k. Remember that you don't need to participate in the greater challenge to win this one.

Also, as a one time bonus of 1k, draw me at least two pictures of what the dance looks like performed. You can use stick figures, I just want to see the general idea.

Dance form one, the accessible participatory form, is the Trader's dance. Dance form two, the exclusive form, is the highly technical paint dancing.

The trader's dance is thematically very similar to folk dances, with a number of basic moves and steps that are then rearranged to fit into whatever dance and song is played. As far as the dances go, they can be done with any number of people as long as there is a big enough space to accommodate the dancers. The dances are very common, so as it stands most people will either know the dance or a variation of it and can easily join in as soon as the music starts. For those who do not know the dances it is easy to pick it up as you go as it is a simple matter of following what the person in front/to the side/everyone else is doing. Or for the more timid, as the dances are repetitive and just a few variations and changes in sequence on a few basic moves, you can watch, learn the steps and then jump in when you are ready. Luckily for both options the dances are very forgiving on missed beats and steps, the various forms accommodate all skill levels.

The paint dance is much less forgiving of learners. Paint dancing involves years of training and special skills, specially created equipment and dance floors, and requires precision with every movement and step. The dancers can be any number, with the larger number of dancers meaning a greater difficulty. Like in Ballet there is a small range of heights where the dancers may lay, however the similarity in height must only be among the dancers and there is no restriction on individuals. Paint dancing is done with magic infused chalk that is attached to the heels of the dancer in a special shoe, as they dance the chalk is deposited on the ground, and it eventually forms a pattern, the painted are usually employed because they also have illusion magic which can further enhance the optical properties of the dance. The spaces must be open, and to get a full view it is best to be at a raised position from the stage like with an amphitheater or the audience on a balcony above the space (Think basically a smaller version of the Nazca lines except it is only temporary). As such the only places that see much use are the upper echelons of the empire, usually restrained to the islands. The Arena in the Stone Lands is also equipped to be a suitable stage although the lack of trained dancers means it is not something that happens.

It is still June right? I had this written up a few days after you posted this and have been trying to draw the dances and have finally just decided to use stick figures. For the pictures, are they one picture of each dance or two pictures of the same dance like in a sequence?

The only stipulation is that it be 2 pictures. It can be different forms of the same dance or different dances.

Revered Nerd

Well then here are the two stick figure pictures.

User Image
This would be the paint dance performed by a group. Showing two dancers with the trail of a third off to the right.

User Image
This would be the paint dance with a single dancer. This would likely be during a warm up as the trail is in a hopscotch pattern.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
This is a few days early, but I came up with it now so I'm taking advantage.

July Minichallenge - Gardens!

"The history of the garden reflects that of every civilization. Its origins are tied to the development of a town, as a bridge between nature and architecture. The garden became not only an important aspect of urban planning, but also a means of developing a relationship with nature... A symbolic and often mystical place, it does not shun the humility of functionality; indeed, together with the beauty of the ornamental plants and their colors, scents, and forms, it is perfectly willing to accommodate fruit plants and edible vegetables"
Vercelloni, et. al. Inventing the Garden

Tell us about your gardens. Are they public? Private? Who maintains them? What is used to create them? How are they organized?

Give me 200 words about gardens in your world and you'll get 5k!

Tipsy Conversationalist

I love your competition, and I am finally going to enter it I think. It is a brilliant set up to get past writers block and hash out every little detail. Huge thanks to you for the time and effort you put into TBFC.

Also, I went to the fundraiser page to post and it said it was now "old and decrepit" and could no longer be posted it. Super sad.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Maeve Faylenn

I love your competition, and I am finally going to enter it I think. It is a brilliant set up to get past writers block and hash out every little detail. Huge thanks to you for the time and effort you put into TBFC.

Also, I went to the fundraiser page to post and it said it was now "old and decrepit" and could no longer be posted it. Super sad.

Huh, I didn't know they did that. I'll have to take the link out of the front page then.

Can't wait to see what you submit to the challenge!

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
No Minichallenge this month. I'm starting to run out of ideas. sweatdrop

Tipsy Conversationalist

Lea Fealith

What about things like beds and beddings and such. It sounds basic, but different cultures have different types of beds they use, like japan floor bed mats, over luxurious american foam mattresses, etc. And different eras have different standards of how people should have their beds and things. Like before you are married, no co-sleeping, or 1950's single beds side by side for married couples. Things like that. Or even sleep culture. There is a lot of superstition built around dreams and their meanings. Dream catchers in native american cultures, dream diaries as a more new age kind of thing. Etc. etc. etc.

Just a kind of idea. Though I haven't read all the way through your fantasy land challenge enough to remember if you have stuff like this already.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Maeve Faylenn
Lea Fealith

What about things like beds and beddings and such. It sounds basic, but different cultures have different types of beds they use, like japan floor bed mats, over luxurious american foam mattresses, etc. And different eras have different standards of how people should have their beds and things. Like before you are married, no co-sleeping, or 1950's single beds side by side for married couples. Things like that. Or even sleep culture. There is a lot of superstition built around dreams and their meanings. Dream catchers in native american cultures, dream diaries as a more new age kind of thing. Etc. etc. etc.

Just a kind of idea. Though I haven't read all the way through your fantasy land challenge enough to remember if you have stuff like this already.

I could have sworn I'd have something on dreams but it seems like I don't! I do have a prompt slightly connected to sleeping but it could use one of it's own. Thanks for the ideas. I'll use them for next month!

Tipsy Conversationalist

Lea Fealith

I could have sworn I'd have something on dreams but it seems like I don't! I do have a prompt slightly connected to sleeping but it could use one of it's own. Thanks for the ideas. I'll use them for next month!

No problem! If I think of any more I will PM them to you.

Revered Nerd

So I kind of fell off the face of the earth on this challenge. Back now though.

Maldia now has Habitations: Homes and Habitation: Town done.

Also the link you have for the example on prompt 4.3.3 is no longer working.

Edit: Habitation: Cities is done too. Link

Generous Master

Ah! I'm also still working on this. No new sections completed yet...however, I went back and revised some previous sections. That's a good sign, right?

Revered Nerd

Habitation: Misc is done for Maldia.

One domain section left after this. Although it looks like a long one.

edit Done with People: Groups.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Eripsa
Ah! I'm also still working on this. No new sections completed yet...however, I went back and revised some previous sections. That's a good sign, right?

Yes it is! A little bit at a time is the only way to go.

I am in the process of moving at the moment which is why there have been no monthly challenges for a while. I have no internet! It should be a couple more weeks before things finally settle, and then I will update everything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff