Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
Adimurti
bohemian_lover_boy
well, seeing as how I've played, like, 5 games with my cousin and not beat him yet, I must suck, too. heart

Meh - it's like most games: just luck. And if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. xp

Anyways - I'm off to get some shut eye. That was the plan like ninety minutes ago, but you lot've distracted me!

Ell why. ♥

Edit: And add my game account, going to see Jake this weekend so I'll have a good few hours of nothing to do but mess about on the laptop. We might catch one-another and we can play then. 3nodding

Oh, I'm usually not on on the weekends because I'm with Pickle and he doesn't have internets at the house yet.... sad
so, let me get this straight: i can still enter, starting with round 1? i just post the entry here by the 31st & see if i make it to round 2?

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
Captain Pookie Bear
so, let me get this straight: i can still enter, starting with round 1? i just post the entry here by the 31st & see if i make it to round 2?

Yup, but, the sooner the better so you can have more time to work on your Round 2 poem. mrgreen

edit: and the poem just has to be better that the whoever was ranked lowest and made it to this Round in order for you to make it.
all righty. my style has changed quite a bit since i last posted on the challenge, but i'll give it a whirl.

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Adimurti
The Love Mutt
critcritcritcritcrit

And you don't think you're experienced enough to help others? This crit (maybe with a few more explanations) says otherwise.

:waves finger of you'veofficiallybeentoldness in your general direction:

xp

heart you.
GlowInTheDarkStar
Swollen, slurpy, slippy, sloshed
The copper queen drowns in the sodden foamy mess.
Down it fresher.
Ferment boy with the yeast and the yokels

I'm not a big fan of the first line. It's a bit misplaced, because you set up the poem as one of alliteration, possible repetition, and onomatopoeia, but then it's not followed through. I think you could probably just start the poem with one or two of these words, and then maybe work the others in somewhere else or scrap them altogether.

I also think you could scrap the third line. I just don't see it adding much. And visually you've got the beer coming between the "copper queen" and the "ferment boy," when actually it does quite the opposite. So instead of promoting a contrasting image, you could get rid of the line, or possibly move it below the "ferment boy" line -- so that references to the beer surround the two of them together, creating a little "beer bubble" for them to get all sexy in and whatnot.

Quote:
Bray a little with the boys and banter
A tea ceremony to appease the gods

I like this. Subtle references to assholes are cool. It gives the poem a very Dionysian feel because of the stark contrast to the tea ceremony. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "banter a tea ceremony," though. I think this is due to a punctuation error.

Quote:
Bow, take the pint in the left hand, then hold it with your right hand and turn till the cups "cup is" facing away from you, only then can you take a sip.

I get that the length of this line adds to the complexities and nuances of tea ceremonies. But I think it needs less "fluff" and more substance. Also, just a thought: you could look up rules from Japanese tea ceremonies for ideas, just to bulk this line up a bit.

Quote:
(You swore, two fingers)

I don't know what this means. Am I missing something? It sounds sketch. If that's what you're going for, then I guess you nailed it...? XD

Quote:
Will you untie your robes again and flash me that devilish weapon of yours?

"Devilish weapon"? I guess this line accurately portrays cliche, drunken "seduction," but I would love to see this elevated somehow. Even just setting it off in quotation marks or italics could separate it from the poem so it can be seen more in terms of the party. Or, you should maybe decide if you want this line to be crude or subtle. If you're going for in-party-mode-and-completely-drunk, go all out. If not, refine it some. It's sort of hanging out awkwardly between the two -- but I get the strong feeling that it should be a more radical line.

Quote:
In the drink can you see the bubbles bursting
the first a first and the second a 2:1.

I don't get this either. Maybe I'm tired. Maybe it's just over my head. Maybe the reference is too obscure. I don't know. :/

Quote:
Vomit rainbows and call it a sociology paper
and I'll cite it in my next critical appraisal.

I like this, too. It's witty and fun. However, it is the first mention of school. It's not really enough to be a twist ending or a "wow" factor for the ending. So I'd suggest working the school element in a little earlier in the poem, and re-working the ending to make it something more powerful. I'm not entirely sure what that ending might be. It does seem as if you have a bit of an incomplete narrative, though. Perhaps you could conclude the crazy, partying exploits of the girl and the guy?

Overall notes:
The grammar bothered me a lot. You've inconsistently capitalized the beginning of your lines. Pick either one or the other. I strongly recommend capitalizing according to the normal grammar rules prose. (If only because you don't want to get smacked down when BLB critiques your poem at the end of the round).

And your punctuation is also inconsistent. It's just a bit of a mess. Some lines lack punctuation when it's necessary to avoid confusion.

Also, it seems as if you have the beginning of many different thoughts. You've got the tea ceremony, the guy/girl interaction, something about bubbles, and the school aspect. How are these different elements meant to be tied together? I think the poem would benefit from expanding on the different themes and interweaving them. If cohesion between the themes turns out to be difficult, you might want to scrap one or two. (You can always make a new poem with those later. I have the same sort of problem sometimes, and I just shuffle themes to different poems -- it works out well).

I didn't expect this critique to be so long-winded. (May bad). I haven't done one in a while, so I guess I went all-out. XD

Feel free to take or leave any of the suggestions. Also, if I didn't make sense, feel free to ask any questions. I am quite sleepy. But I hope I helped! biggrin
so, i was looking over past challenge words so that i could brown my nose & beef up my entry & i noticed that ayn rand is one of the words. that made my day. i wanna write hate poems with her name in it.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Adimurti
[
Studying.

xd

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
Captain Pookie Bear
so, i was looking over past challenge words so that i could brown my nose & beef up my entry & i noticed that ayn rand is one of the words. that made my day. i wanna write hate poems with her name in it.

eek gonk crying talk2hand
bohemian_lover_boy
Captain Pookie Bear

haha. not hate poems about her, but with her name in it. that's what you get for dating philosophy majors, amirite or amirite?

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
Captain Pookie Bear
bohemian_lover_boy
Captain Pookie Bear

haha. not hate poems about her, but with her name in it. that's what you get for dating philosophy majors, amirite or amirite?

More reason for me to marry my social worker, I get to write about crack whores and *****:

your big bro's Significant Otter

Icy Rogue

bohemian_lover_boy
carl chicago
lols I check back on this thread to find 'how to poop at work" featured prominently
rofl
i wonder if people are the only animals afraid of their own bodies

My dog used to fart and then sniff his butt and get this look on his face like "That couldn't have been me!"

I didn't know dogs fart. what next, birds? fish? dinosaurs?

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
carl chicago
bohemian_lover_boy
carl chicago
lols I check back on this thread to find 'how to poop at work" featured prominently
rofl
i wonder if people are the only animals afraid of their own bodies

My dog used to fart and then sniff his butt and get this look on his face like "That couldn't have been me!"

I didn't know dogs fart. what next, birds? fish? dinosaurs?

Dog farts are awful, especially if you give them cheese! I guess they must be lactose intolerant... Cat farts are bad, too. And if you have either of these animals for pets, just know, they LOVE to fart on their people. xp

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
Hmmmm.... is in the mood to write a poem.... don't ask when the last time I did was, because I really don't know. xp

edit: I found it rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces