Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

After reading this idea, do you think it would be a good book?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 5, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

I have an idea for a story that I have been working on for a while, and I guess I should outline everything I have so far.

This story takes place in the 1950s. Go go boots are in. So are miniskirts. The story follows Rick Isring, Thaddeus Holiday, and Rose Isring, three Juniors in high school. All three are intelligent young people. Rick is aspiring to be an engineer, and has a vast knowledge about cars and other mechanisms. He is the modern equivalent to Job from the Bible. Rick is the main focus of the story, as he brings all sorts of misfortune upon his friends.
Thaddeus is a tough guy, on the school boxing team and interested in guns. He's very good friends with Rick, and has been since their parents left for Vietnam. Thaddeus must face multiple crossroads, mostly on whether to stay with his friend.
Rose is Rick's sister. She is the toughest of the three, and the most graceful. She strives to go above and beyond in whatever she does, and is supposed to be the opposite of society's ideas about women. As a sister, she ends up being Rick's greatest support in the whole endeavor.
Amy Holiday is Thaddeus' dead sister. She dies while their father is in Vietnam, and near the beginning of the story, the trio visits her grave. Thaddeus must eventually confront his father and explain the incident that left his sister dead. Again this has the biggest effect on Rick, because he was in love with her.

The story begins in a small, dusty old town, but eventually branches into an early apocolypse. Rick, Thaddeus and Rose must survive encounters with the Four Horsemen, armageddon's rain (the rain of fire), and multiple other signs of the end of the world. Once the world ends, the story shifts to a more political spectrum, with a war in "heaven" that ends up sucking the trio in.
This is so off topic and so inappropriate for a reg but I just loooove One Piece. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
It needs just a little work...just a little work.

~*~Rufus~*~
NO! NO! NO! not another end of the world peice of garbage! i so loved the idea before you got to the whole end of the world thing please every one on this web site should leave the biblical to the scholars! ... im just trying to knock some sence into you! you have the patental to have amazing memorable characters wonderful interaction and such a great story if you change the whole end of the world thing! mabe have something to do with the norse mytholigy like ragnarock not many people do the norse thing... or a alien invasion... or you could take it out all together... i dont know i guess you could pull it off... mabye if you stay away from convention...
DOOMsword
NO! NO! NO! not another end of the world peice of garbage! i so loved the idea before you got to the whole end of the world thing please every one on this web site should leave the biblical to the scholars! ... im just trying to knock some sence into you! you have the patental to have amazing memorable characters wonderful interaction and such a great story if you change the whole end of the world thing! mabe have something to do with the norse mytholigy like ragnarock not many people do the norse thing... or a alien invasion... or you could take it out all together... i dont know i guess you could pull it off... mabye if you stay away from convention...

I'd like to think my view of the end of the world, religion, and heaven is radically different from everyone else's. If this story gets written, you may be surprised.
well i geuss as long as you pull it off... i mean Pullman did it and so La Hay so... good luck!
It's a lovely idea--just a little work and it'll sound twice as lovlier! *nodnod*
My main purpose for the apocolypse is to drive the actual story. I didn't live in the 50's, so I don't really have any idea of what kind of tribulations a person in that time period had. It's beyond me. The apocolypse is in essence the ultimate test that the three have to go through. Tests have a giant part in my story. They are one of the main elements, and the reason, if explained, would ruin the parts of the story I'm not sharing so as not to spoil it. The war in heaven has to do with a different essence of the story and is not as neccesary. I do feel that I need to include it though, to push the message of the story.
(Didn't live in the fifties, doesn't really know much about the fifties)
Yep, I should just hope that it's at least neutrally bouyant.
Roronora_Zoro
I have an idea for a story that I have been working on for a while, and I guess I should outline everything I have so far.

This story takes place in the 1950s. Go go boots are in. So are miniskirts. The story follows Rick Isring, Thaddeus Holiday, and Rose Isring, three Juniors in high school. All three are intelligent young people. Rick is aspiring to be an engineer, and has a vast knowledge about cars and other mechanisms. He is the modern equivalent to Job from the Bible. Rick is the main focus of the story, as he brings all sorts of misfortune upon his friends.
Thaddeus is a tough guy, on the school boxing team and interested in guns. He's very good friends with Rick, and has been since their parents left for Vietnam. Thaddeus must face multiple crossroads, mostly on whether to stay with his friend.
Rose is Rick's sister. She is the toughest of the three, and the most graceful. She strives to go above and beyond in whatever she does, and is supposed to be the opposite of society's ideas about women. As a sister, she ends up being Rick's greatest support in the whole endeavor.
Amy Holiday is Thaddeus' dead sister. She dies while their father is in Vietnam, and near the beginning of the story, the trio visits her grave. Thaddeus must eventually confront his father and explain the incident that left his sister dead. Again this has the biggest effect on Rick, because he was in love with her.

The story begins in a small, dusty old town, but eventually branches into an early apocolypse. Rick, Thaddeus and Rose must survive encounters with the Four Horsemen, armageddon's rain (the rain of fire), and multiple other signs of the end of the world. Once the world ends, the story shifts to a more political spectrum, with a war in "heaven" that ends up sucking the trio in.

Ok, you had a nice little story about just 3 people and their humanity and what they go through, and could have turned it into something that doesn't need lots of action and such....(like Catcher in the Rye...simple yet so complex at the same time).

Then you introduce the Four Horseman, and *groan* the Apocolyse.
Why would you mix these two together.....these are ordinary people, and what makes them so special that they would be able to get into a war in heaven? You're trying to integrate 2 entirely different concepts here, and I don't think it'll work. Work on the character development of the three and try to make an interesting story about them and it won't need an apocolypse.
Sounds quite interesting, but check for historical accuracy. Go-go boots and mini-skirts were in the 60's. We were in Vietnam only as advisors in the late 50's. Accurate setting really helps wtih the story. Other than that, it sounds cool.
jediphoenix
Ok, you had a nice little story about just 3 people and their humanity and what they go through, and could have turned it into something that doesn't need lots of action and such....(like Catcher in the Rye...simple yet so complex at the same time).

Then you introduce the Four Horseman, and *groan* the Apocolyse.
Why would you mix these two together.....these are ordinary people, and what makes them so special that they would be able to get into a war in heaven? You're trying to integrate 2 entirely different concepts here, and I don't think it'll work. Work on the character development of the three and try to make an interesting story about them and it won't need an apocolypse.

Aren't you tired of reading stories about special people in special situations with special powers?
Rick is the unluckiest guy to ever walk the face of the earth, with more trouble than you could ever have. His friend and sister have to work constantly to pull him out of the mud. Thats my first little point.

My second is that these are ordinary people. Ordinary people have to suffer through the apocolypse too. Their reactions and actions, normal people ones, are the ones I want to write about. Thats my second little point.

My third would be that, at least in this story, you don't have to be special to get sucked into the war. Everyone ends up going to heaven, at least in my story. But the shocker is that "heaven" isn't even heaven. It's like a second world, with the absense of material being. People waiting for what seems to them like an eternity get fed up with sitting around in heaven. Eventually, all the annoyed, impatient, unhappy residents of "heaven" decide to rebel, and form an army of the common people. Another half of the population, the ones that sincerely believe in heaven, form a sort of good army to combat the rebels. In essence, this is like Zoroaster's teachings of a light and dark army doing combat over each person's soul. Read up on that if you want to know more. Due to the overflow of souls through the apocolypse, warfare gets heated. Nobody is safe anymore.

so how does this sound?
Shallafynn
Sounds quite interesting, but check for historical accuracy. Go-go boots and mini-skirts were in the 60's. We were in Vietnam only as advisors in the late 50's. Accurate setting really helps wtih the story. Other than that, it sounds cool.

You sure? If so, my research has failed me once again. sad
Quote:
I didn't live in the 50's, so I don't really have any idea of what kind of tribulations a person in that time period had. It's beyond me.

I would suggest doing some research. If possible, talk to someone who lived through it, like grandparents or something. Remember that the 50s were still after WWII, and McCarthyism/Red Scare was going on in the US.
Hm, you seem to know a bit. Well, when in doubt, I'll just ask my dad. he's a billion years old blaugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff