Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Friend

11,875 Points
  • Married 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Tiffany Brick
I tend to get annoyed when people write, "She smiled sarcastically". I am a bit bothered when those stuff are placed into a writing, it's probably because I could not imagine what a "smiled sarcastically" looks like.

Another of what annoys me are uber-badass-i'm never hurt-I have a shitty past- character. Well the characterization mostly does not annoy me if done well, but usually when I read unpublished works, they are never done well. They are usually females as well.

Tell me, are these things normal?

That's because they don't recommend it if you use 'ly' verbs. They're meant to explain (tell) emotions rather than show what the character is actually doing. I know it can be needed, but I personally hate too much telling. Showing is far more interesting. Source.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Erisiancarnate
First person. Fluff. Characters/plots that are so obviously masturbatory that the story is embarrassing to read.

Characters that are presented like a dissected frog on a table turn me away from a story as well. If a stranger approached me and said, "Hi, I'm Lisa. I'm super popular, my favorite color is pink and I'm a good person" I'd back away slowly. Let me get to know the character and develop my own understanding of them, please..! sweatdrop

That kind of stuff is even more annoying when the story directly tells us a character is a certain thing, but actions and events suggest that the character is not. Pretty common to see this happen with "strong female characters", where the story repeatedly assures us that the female character is strong and independent and smart, but she acts like an idiot and constantly needs to be saved and obsesses waaaay too much over romance to be called "independent".

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
thelaughingfool
Something I hate in any form of fiction is the "Passionate Princess" model. I suppose it doesn't need to be a princess per say. But when you have someone in the upper echelons of society who simply can't stand the suffering of their people, it makes me want to close the book, turn off the TV, and walk out of the movie theater. A friend of mine says this is a reaction, especially by American writers, to make their character's more relatable and to justify their royal status with the reader. But it's so passé and so boring to me.
If I sometimes catch myself creating such a character, I try to spice up their personality a bit. My favorite method is to make them do good things for all the wrong reasons. "I'll stop this horde of monsters that seek to destroy my kingdom because I don't want to lose my position and do honest work for a change." That sounds so much more interesting than being self-righteous and preachy.

I think another aspect of this is kind of a fantasy thing. A lot of people wish that the rich in powerful in their society would use their wealth and power to help others and make the world a better place. It's been speculated that part of the recent mainstream popularity of superhero movies is for that reason. (in addition to wish-fulfillment and all that) The superhero has all this power, and the power hasn't always been earned by that person, but s/he uses it to help others rather than focusing (solely) on personal gain.

I'm getting increasingly annoyed with "chosen one" stories. It's not that I think they're inherently bad. Really, there are many I love. But I've noticed more and more writers using it to be lazy. They have a prophecy so they don't need to put effort into how or why something happens. It happens because the prophecy says so! And it's often used as a cheap, easy way to put a character into the center of the conflict. Why does this character have to save the world? Because s/he's the chosen one and the prophecy says s/he has to do it! Even outside of bad/lazy writers, I've just gotten pretty bored with the whole idea. The character is the chosen one just because. Why not more creative ways of putting the character into conflict? How about a character who earns his/her position, or who has an alternate motivation for doing the big thing?

Elaborating what I posted earlier... The main problem with love triangles. I tend to stay away from love triangle stories because 99.99% of them have this problem. I think the love triangle does have potential for legitimately good story and conflict, but most books avoid that by copping out. They make it so the decision is too easy and that completely destroys the whole conflict of the love triangle. Sometimes one of the guys is treated as perfect, while the other has glaring flaws. Of COURSE she's going with the perfect guy. Other times both of the guys are good options, but one does something really bad that the girls runs to the other. Again, it makes the choice too obvious. Sometimes one of the guys will die so in the end, there's no choice at all. There's also this weird trend I've seen in a lot of love triangle books, what Nostalgia Chick refers to as "the ethnic third wheel". It's when one of the guys has "exotic" as his appeal, but that guy is rarely chosen in the end. Can't help but wonder if that has like, racist implications or something. Oh well.

I hate being told something but then being shown something completely different. A character we're told is ugly, but then described in a way that doesn't sound ugly at all. Characters who we're told are strong and smart, but don't do anything to suggest those things. I see this a lot with "designated heroes" as well. We're supposed to totally root for a character, and see everyone who gets mad at them as mean or unfair. But sometimes the opposing people have good points, but that never gets acknowledged. (at least not in any meaningful, story-impacting way)

Cliche fantasy. It needs to stahp. Right now. Dragons, medieval European world, elves, dwarves, all that s**t is great, but fantasy gives you more freedom than any other genre. Why a lot of people insist on sticking to a Tolkien model, I'll never know.

Devoted Husband

I would literally rather s**t a softball than read about another love triangle

literally.

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

Samuel Elias Carswell
I would literally rather s**t a softball than read about another love triangle

literally.

That sounds rather...painful D:

Anyway, I don't mind love triangles that much. But if it gets to the point when I'm asking when are the obvious couple gonna kiss already than who the protag is gonna choose, then you probably need to drop it.

I hate when a plot drags on and on to add drama when it should have ended chapters ago. Double when it's obvious they are pulling plot points out the a**.

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Been reading this book and the author annoys me with the way she tells but does not show. The main character is bisexual and has a boyfriend who is half his age, she mentions that they have arguments but there's no dialogue or action to show it, same with some love scenes (I don't want every detail, just a sense of the atmosphere) and others that are relevant to the story line. I feel like I'm just reading a narrative.
AlyaRose
Tiffany Brick
I tend to get annoyed when people write, "She smiled sarcastically". I am a bit bothered when those stuff are placed into a writing, it's probably because I could not imagine what a "smiled sarcastically" looks like.
That's because they don't recommend it if you use 'ly' verbs. They're meant to explain (tell) emotions rather than show what the character is actually doing. I know it can be needed, but I personally hate too much telling. Showing is far more interesting. Source.
i was going to mark this as my peeve; folks have beat me to it. smile it's an overabundance of adjectives and adverbs that bores me. i prefer action and fast-paced prose. you know: no-"nonsense".
marshmallowcreampie

Elaborating what I posted earlier... The main problem with love triangles. I tend to stay away from love triangle stories because 99.99% of them have this problem. I think the love triangle does have potential for legitimately good story and conflict, but most books avoid that by copping out. They make it so the decision is too easy and that completely destroys the whole conflict of the love triangle. Sometimes one of the guys is treated as perfect, while the other has glaring flaws. Of COURSE she's going with the perfect guy. Other times both of the guys are good options, but one does something really bad that the girls runs to the other. Again, it makes the choice too obvious. There's also this weird trend I've seen in a lot of love triangle books, what Nostalgia Chick refers to as "the ethnic third wheel". It's when one of the guys has "exotic" as his appeal, but that guy is rarely chosen in the end. Can't help but wonder if that has like, racist implications or something. Oh well.

Oh man. I agree with this, except one of my favourite books... actually, my FAVOURITEST book, The Lions of Al-Rassan, has a love triangle. It's really, amazingly well done and makes the book's ending that much more emotionally difficult.

But, of course, it's written by Guy Kay, who is the only author I'd trust to write a decent love triangle. Or romance in general, actually.

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
jamilee-nicole
As I am tragically an avid reader of fanfiction, there are all too many things that piss me off and turn me away from stories.

But there is one little bit I see in all forms of writing that drives me up the wall.

"A single tear rolls down her cheek" , and other lines to that affect.

It's usually used to provoke this romantic image of some pure maiden with a single tear rolling down her cheek to show her gentle innocence and sense of empathy, and for that reason I want to drop kick the author for using such a saccharine, cliched line. It's so sickly-sweet and overdone it should be banned from writing unless it's used in parody.

The very idea makes me shudder. Also, who the hell cries a single tear? I know when I cry I effin' commit to it and cry up a goddamn ocean. A single tear, my a**.

I agree that usually it is used for that purpose and is not something I like to see in fanfiction but it can be done. For instance what if the character was trying desperately not to cry but was unable to keep it all in? But yeah, over all it's horribly used and not done well.
When characters get together and have children and name said children after the main characters parents (or an important figure in their life). It is especially prevalent with fandom made kids (ex: Naruto marrying Hinata and naming their kids Minato and Kushina).

Yes, yes, I know it is something that people actually do for various reasons but I still find it to be lazy writing. Harry Potter and Deltora Quest are some that are guilty of it.

Gnarwhalrus's Comrade

Questionable Wrangler

The hurting lack of said by most authors.

And fanfiction.

Liberal Smoker

Benii B
The hurting lack of said by most authors.

And fanfiction.
lol

There are loads of crappy fanfictions out there, but there are some good ones I must say.

Gnarwhalrus's Comrade

Questionable Wrangler

Tiffany Brick
lol

There are loads of crappy fanfictions out there, but there are some good ones I must say.

Most definitely, but the good ones can be a little hard to find. I used to be an avid reader (and admittedly writer) of fanfiction but then I just stopped

Liberal Smoker

Benii B
Tiffany Brick
lol

Most definitely, but the good ones can be a little hard to find. I used to be an avid reader (and admittedly writer) of fanfiction but then I just stopped
And I think it depends to the category as well. If you're in the fanfiction section of a very crappy book...

Goodluck lol

Shy Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Ferocious Kittee
When characters get together and have children and name said children after the main characters parents (or an important figure in their life). It is especially prevalent with fandom made kids (ex: Naruto marrying Hinata and naming their kids Minato and Kushina).

Yes, yes, I know it is something that people actually do for various reasons but I still find it to be lazy writing. Harry Potter and Deltora Quest are some that are guilty of it.

That is lazy... I find that creativity is stinted when this one is pulled.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff