• Survivor 150
  • Hive Mind 200
I'm still stuck, lol.

Hot Exhibitionist

9,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
My vocabulary sucks, and I'm very bad at describing the scenes that I envision. This is why I can't write anything. When I do manage to put my thoughts into a story, it looks like something written by a fifth grader, for a fifth grader.
I write a Pokemon fanfiction called "Eden" and I'm going through the biggest slump ever. :C Any ideas/tips on how to get inspired/moving along with some progress? Even just a little bit to get the gears working.

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
Oh dear me. Although I'm writing, it doesn't feel like I'm putting my soul into this fan fic. It had a pretty exciting plot and started off well enough, but now it just feels like I'm typing a bunch of stale words and stating a point that everybody knows already.

What should I do?

3,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
That's what i'm going through with my original works, I think there are just going to be some parts that even you don't like, but in the end you'll just have to push through them and when you stories finished, have it looked at by a trustworthy and honest friend, you don't want someone to tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear and if they fins the parts as feelingless as you do, an outside perspective goes a long way.

Newbie Sex Symbol

6,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
MessageAlright I have tried pretty much everything and I cant finish my story. I have no idea if I should just trash it again and restart or just try to keep going on it. Ive called my short story The Flaws. any ideas or suggestions????
The Mangled Masterpiece
My vocabulary sucks, and I'm very bad at describing the scenes that I envision. This is why I can't write anything. When I do manage to put my thoughts into a story, it looks like something written by a fifth grader, for a fifth grader.

I used to read my textbooks when I thought my vocabulary was lacking. English books in particular (assuming you have access to them). Worth a shot?

Poker Phace
I write a Pokemon fanfiction called "Eden" and I'm going through the biggest slump ever. :C Any ideas/tips on how to get inspired/moving along with some progress? Even just a little bit to get the gears working.

Try watching a few of your favorite episodes. Perhaps even try to rewrite the episode how you would like to have it play out.

Misuki Marishima
Oh dear me. Although I'm writing, it doesn't feel like I'm putting my soul into this fan fic. It had a pretty exciting plot and started off well enough, but now it just feels like I'm typing a bunch of stale words and stating a point that everybody knows already.

What should I do?

Just keep writing the story. Get to the end. Try not to worry about how much you've put into it. After you're done, you can start to polish it up, don't worry if doesn't sound your best now.

ShadowGirlOfSecret
MessageAlright I have tried pretty much everything and I cant finish my story. I have no idea if I should just trash it again and restart or just try to keep going on it. Ive called my short story The Flaws. any ideas or suggestions????

Same as what I said to Misuki Marishima. Just keep going through with it. If you get any ideas about something else, write it somewhere else to review later and add in as needed.

Newbie Sex Symbol

6,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
Message Kay.... But I have to do this story for an assignment this time and there is a deadline so Im under a bit of pressure for time...

3,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
ShadowGirlOfSecret
Message Kay.... But I have to do this story for an assignment this time and there is a deadline so Im under a bit of pressure for time...

It's your editor side taking over, you feel like it's not going well so you want to fix everything as you go, trust me, I speak from experience this is not the way to go, you'll be writing your story forever then.

Just write and once you reach the end have someone look it over, but make sure they can be honest with you and fix it that way.

But if you're on a timeline have them fix it chapter by chapter but don't look at it until you have another chapter for them.

Newbie Sex Symbol

6,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
I wish it was that simple. I have this class and my write as people say is outstanding but I am having a tough time ending it..... I gotta turn it in by tomorrow too, which is killing me a bit.... I am freaking out just a tad bit...

Gracious Rogue

By words, I am intrigued. Present me with a dictionary, and I could filter through for hours. Some say it's mad, but it's a method nonetheless. wink

Dangerous Noob

3,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
"Writers Block and how to Overcome it - Fictional Perspective"

Please feel free to browse other users threads on how to overcome this common problem for writers rather than relying on my tactics. I am just one person, not a million.

As an aspiring artist and an advocate for interactive and multi-model learning, I've witnessed something that writers hate to face, "Writer's Block". Sitting there, looking blankly at your notepad or on your computer screen on what to write, what characters to use and what audience do you want to attract. There are multiple ways of actually approaching this but it's entirely up to you on how YOU want to approach it. This post should help you navigate around this slump and get you writing in no time.

Before you start diving into the world of words like imagery, consider this:

- What kind of story are you thinking about writing?
What are your artistic like interests or general interests? Do you like zombies, vampires, cute romantic relationships, heroes with giant swords fighting against boss like creatures that can very well destroy the world? Do you love that situation where you're surrounded by a couple of hot chicks or hot guys?
This can be your base and your primary focus throughout the book.

- What kind of characters do you want to have in the book?
Using an array of characters is a pretty good thing because it'll attract a variety of readers. Think of it like an anime series where certain people only watch it because of a character they like. Books work in the same way but be sure that the characters have a connection with other characters and/or the story
This'll help you mold the story where the characters are the ones who make the story unfold.
- You can connect the fictional characters with real life people that you've known personally to give it that realistic idea. This is often the best resort if you're stuck on giving a character a unique personality.
- It's never to bad to get some inspiration from other characters that were already made up but don't take the character's identity as a whole (unless you're writing fan-fiction). If you're going to do that, at least give credit to avoid copyright infringement.

Get rid of the idea that "You're Idea is a Stupid Idea"
I've read a couple of books that were considered stupid to some because it wasn't something that the majority didn't like. If you're trying to write up a book just to get some fame then feel free to be the next trilogy that'll compete with the Harry Potter series. If you like something then just do it! I mean, I honestly cannot stress the idea that no idea is a stupid one (unless that's your intention). Take a daring leap to what you love the most and continue writing it, eventually there will be people who will love what you write and want more.
This outta help you motivate you to write even further

Here's something new: Be the character and re-enact scenes privately and judge yourself if it wroks.
I should be awarded with this idea because this actually works for some people who I talked with. Feel free to make a fool out of yourself privately by acting out certain attitudes and situations as if they were going to be a part of a movie or a televised series. People's mind work different ways, like me I tend to think things on the spot. I'm a very active person who cannot sit in one spot and often get the best ideas by acting it out (improv!) This is actually a multi-model tactic that not a lot of people know or a theory that's not stressed enough in schools.
This'll give you a more visual outlook on how the story will be like when you write it down.

Get in the freaking mood, whenever you feel like writing or feel creative; don't dwell on it! Write it!
On my phone I often and not write down ideas on for each character which gives me a sense of accomplishment and makes me anxious to hop back onto my computer and add those ideas to make the story juicier. Another great way of getting your creative juices flowing is to do something that's creative or watch or read something that jogs your creative side. I often watch my favorite anime series and think about adding personalities, sub-characters into my very own and listen to a type of music that matches up with the story itself. Yes, we all have those instances where we need to actually play some background music to fit with the storyline.
This will actually get you started in the first place...

Lastly,
Don't complicate the story.
What you want to do first is to get the general information done (Beginning, developing plot, climax, conclusion, and whatever English class taught you). If you complicate the story (adding more visual imagery, add additional problems to characters, adding "sub-stories" into the main story), you'll lose track and eventually punch your computer because you made it complicated on yourself. I think one of the best ways to prevent this is to actually write out an outline of each chapter and then develop those ideas so you can have a organized book. (I should do that too). If you write research papers and essays, this is often the best ideas for any type of writing (except Poetry...for me that is). Don't try and make it sound astounding at the first shot, it's a progress.
This is probably one of the best pieces of advice I've given

Feel free to use these tips and share them, but also look into some other advice posts that other writers gave out. Remember, I'm only one writer.
Every time I feel writers block, I use mind mapping. I've found that nothing works like mind mapping. You have to adapt mind mapping to writing, but once you do you will be able to break free of the block. pirate

Interesting Cutie-Pie

When I have writer's block, I go to Deviant art or the like, and look up backgrounds and such. Art can be very inspiring. Of course, that doesn't always work, but it's something that helps sometimes.

3,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
EvetteC1980
Every time I feel writers block, I use mind mapping. I've found that nothing works like mind mapping. You have to adapt mind mapping to writing, but once you do you will be able to break free of the block. pirate

What do you mean by min mapping?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces