Thank you :D 1 100.0% [ 44 ]
Total Votes:[ 44 ]
1 2 >

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I'm someone who gets inspired by just about anything - a movie, a TV series, a book, a song, whatever. In my experience, it has only led to a lot of half-finished stories or half-thought-out plots.

Have any of you ever had this same kind of thing? What did you think of it? Was it troublesome or helpful? Do you enjoy the ongoing income of inspiration and ideas or do you loathe the inability to focus on a single plot?
I used to have that problem when I was just getting into writing, but lately, not as much. I think when you first get started, you start seeing things differently, which is why the "inspiration" seems to come more easily. When you get a bit more serious about writing, your approach is a little more methodical.

I've published several things thus far and I've got four more books in my queue. This isn't really a typical thing, but everyone works differently. I prefer to have a few solid projects going and switch based on my mood. Each week, I will work on something different to avoid getting too burnt out with one project. That's just what works with me because, like I said, everyone works differently.
I have a bag full of words. When I need inspiration, I dip my hand in and pull three words out. Then I have to write a story using those three words. Works wonders.

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
ofallthethingyouknow
I have a bag full of words. When I need inspiration, I dip my hand in and pull three words out. Then I have to write a story using those three words. Works wonders.

That's an interesting idea... I used to have to do that for one of my classes at school and I found it could actually be quite interesting. Shall have to put it in my arsenal smile
I get story ideas a lot, but I don't work on most of them. I can only work on one large project at a time (and believe me, I've tried working on more. Resulted in, like you said, a lot of unfinished stories.) Now, if I get an idea, I'll either look for a way to put it into my current story, or write it down in a notebook I have for such ideas, and return to it when I'm free.

However, with short stories, I can work on one or two of them while I have a long project on. It helps me prevent burning out.
I have this problem, too. I love that I can think up so many stories, but I have the hardest time choosing which one to write. Currently I now have about twenty huge projects in my arsenal, and so far I've narrowed it down to about five or so. Even then I'll have an urge to write one of the different stories.

Get a notebook. Write them down.

When you start a story, commit to it. Finish it before you start another. This requires discipline. Reward yourself for finishing. Punish yourself for not. A cookie if you do. That vegetable you hate if you don't.

There's a lot you can do. Write one story. Develop the next. Jot down other ideas. This isn't bad at all. It's quite good actually. It's what I do. You just have to have some self-discipline to get 'em done.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Got outside, feel an emotion, turn on the TV, listen to ta song, open a book, read he news...without your own passion, thought, and effort, you won't be driven to complete your story, let alone make it stand out.
I draw pictures for inspiration. Yum.
cre8ive_ovadose
I'm someone who gets inspired by just about anything - a movie, a TV series, a book, a song, whatever. In my experience, it has only led to a lot of half-finished stories or half-thought-out plots.

Have any of you ever had this same kind of thing? What did you think of it? Was it troublesome or helpful? Do you enjoy the ongoing income of inspiration and ideas or do you loathe the inability to focus on a single plot?

This is probably a trait that is consistent with all amateur writers. Very few actually manage to finish anything (with the exception of short stories/poems).

It requires a lot of resilience and dedication to finish one full story, but in the end, nothing you write counts unless it's finished. If you just do it purely for fun and don't care what anyone but yourself thinks/feels, then it's fine to have a bunch of unfinished stuff. Otherwise, try to complete your projects.

Demonic Sex Symbol

12,125 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Survivor 150
I have this problem too, and when i write them out they turn out to be fan fictions. I was working on a Resident Evil fanfic, before personal stuff got in the way. i thought it was pretty good and tried to think of a way to make it my own....
I'm very similar to you in regards to inspiration. Everything inspires me. In the beginning, I found that I also had a lot of unfinished stories. To build up discipline in writing, I joined the Writer's Society at my school and it has really helped! Forcing yourself to write short short stories with a plot regularly really helps build up the will-power to finish stories.

Festive Cutesmasher

9,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
MikuHatsune0001
I have this problem too, and when i write them out they turn out to be fan fictions. I was working on a Resident Evil fanfic, before personal stuff got in the way. i thought it was pretty good and tried to think of a way to make it my own....
Hmm...I'd like to see that, could be interesting--and pretty damn cool.

Nice avatar, by the way.

Demonic Sex Symbol

12,125 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Survivor 150
PandorasJackinthebox
MikuHatsune0001
Hmm...I'd like to see that, could be interesting--and pretty damn cool.

Nice avatar, by the way.

Thank you ^^

My RE "fanfic"? Well i can tell you about if you want. i had to rewrite the story cause my other computer fried. So i think it'll go a little better XD
Inspiration is a little overrated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces