Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you prefer to write Fanfiction or original works?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on August 17, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2

Often times, I come across a writer (both on and off the internet) that pulls me in so strongly I latch on to them for quite a while. Most fanfiction authors just can't do that for some reason. Writers of original fiction tend to be much more descriptive, because they know that everyone doesn't already know what their universe looks like, and also, it gives the readers a chance for their own interpretation of the character/universe. Same reason why not everyone is happy when a book is made into a movie, because their internal views on the book are destroyed. It's not what -they- imagined it to be.

So, in short: I prefer reading and writing original fiction.
I like to read both, but for me, writing fanfiction comes easier. I have two problems with a lot of fanfiction, though. One, when the characters act completely different. Two, when the structure of the story is poor.

I think that the only time a character should act different is when a certain event comes and they change from that, but the event should be well written and included in the story so that the character's change becomes acceptible.

And when I mention the structure, I think well written paragraphs and sentences with very little grammar and spelling errors should be easy enough to write. Some fanfics written in script format are okay, but only if the fanfic should be humorous. Otherwise, it's not that easy to grasp.
I prefer to write orignals because I find it hard to get into the heads of charcters who I didn't create.

9,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
A lot of people say that fanfiction is too easy makes me really confused. If it is too easy, then how come there are a lot of people who try to write fanfiction have no concept of characterization or plotting? It cannot be just because a lot of people never wrote before. It cannot be because there are hundreds of self-insertions that are pure crap. No, it is because fanfiction is hard to do. A good fanfiction writer knows their subject, the world, the backgrounds, the places. They have to research just as much if not more into places and people to get the same sort of feel or to expand better on something that was only briefly mentioned in the original work. Think of it as being an apprentice to some great businessman or craftsman. You have the basic blocks to write and you know the style of your master's works, but you must take the theme, the blueprints and expand on them. That is making a good fanfiction.

I prefer to read a lot more fanfiction than real fiction online because it is harder to find a good original work than it is to find a good fanfiction. There are authors out there who write beautifully, expanding on characters and places without losing the strengths of the original piece. Like myself included, they have lives and jobs outside of online works and have decided to write in the pure enjoyment of writing. It has nothing to do with originality or not of the characters, it has more to do with the originality of their viewpoints of the characters in the worlds that they love. And that is what it makes it good.
Quote:
Missie DuCaine
You didn't have an option for "Fanfiction, but prefer original".

I had an option like that but I guess it didn't show up... Anyone know if I can add another option?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff