Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you prefer to write Fanfiction or original works?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on August 17, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

I admit I prefer FanFiciton much over Original work, in both writing and reading. Mainly because really haven't been writing long so Fanfiction is easier for me to write. I do write original work when I get an idea but its rare that I do.

I know some people who are experienced writers prefer Fanfiction over Original works for some reason.

Anywho, just a poll for my curiosity...
I prefer to read fanfiction, and write original works.

Largely because it's a lot harder to find recommendations for good original works (that aren't self-promoting plugs), and it's a great deal easier to write original stories as well. After all, you have full control over the story, and don't have to worry about pesky things like canon.
I prefer original works, both in writing and in reading.

Why?

Because all too often I read CRAPPY fanfiction that is completely out of canon with the original story, the characters are nothing like their real selves, and good golly the plot is just a poorly-disguised attempt at self-insertion. gonk

For writing, I hate not being able to have complete control over the world and characters. I can't arbitrarily add things, nor can I change a character's hair color or habits to suit my idea of the story, because unlike fanfic writers with less scruples, I do my best to stay IN canon.

I mean, why bother writing a cool story in someone else's playground, when I have a really nice playground in my own back yard that doesn't have their germs all over it?
Going to have to agree with Yuzure on that one. I love writing, but I really can't stand most books, I have very selective taste.
I prefer to write original works, it's simply more fun to create your own world, story, and characters, than to simply try to mimic others, especially because most people mimic them poorly.
"Original" work is still based on others, a person may just get inspirations from reading from many sources and then deems the story to be original.

A quote springs to mind :

"To copy from one source is plagiarism, to copy from many is research"
I personally favour to write original work simply because i like the challenge of creating my ideal storyline. but fanfiction is generally a lot eisier even if it does get boring after a writing for a while.
Fanfiction is the way for me. I like to try and characterise all the characters as best as I can, and its fun to make up backgrounds towards certain characters that cooincide with proper canon. I also find it more entertaining to read about characters that I like and already know about.

Though lately, most fanfiction going around the net is no better than crap. Oh for the days when quality was insured...

Regarding original works, if I want to read something original, I usually borrow something from the library. 3nodding
Black Waltz 0
Though lately, most fanfiction going around the net is no better than crap. Oh for the days when quality was insured...

When was this? I don't remember them.
Yuzure
Black Waltz 0

When was this? I don't remember them.

About four years ago. Or maybe I just was getting lucky finding the good ones.
Black Waltz 0
About four years ago. Or maybe I just was getting lucky finding the good ones.

Definitely lucky. Been in fandom almost a decade, and standards haven't changed much either way. Met many people who were around pre-Internet, and they say the same thing...

... well, except that people who submitted to fanzines usually had better spelling and grammar than the average Badfic today. The bad plots were still around, though.
You didn't have an option for "Fanfiction, but prefer original".

I write both, but lately I write mostly original. Fanficition is heavily corrupted by....badness. When I first started reading and posting my own fanfiction online ten years ago, I thought that everybody's fanfiction was just great! Then I realized that I was a naive ten year old reading it, and that it was, in fact, absolute crap.

There are still good fanfics out there. You just have to look for them, these days. Hard.
I prefer to read and write both. Depends on how I'm feeling
I enjoy writing/reading both, but I haven't done much fanfiction lately. I enjoy writing original stories, because it forces you to really get to know your characters. Fanfiction is also an excersize in characterization; many people don't like your fanfic if the characters are, well, out of character.
Generally I've been writing fanfiction a lot more than original lately. Hard to say why though... Maybe it's just 'cause there are more plot bunnies bouncing around there, or maybe it's because those bunnies are more insistent about being written than the others... After all, fanfiction has a leg up in that--even from the first, flickering brainstorm--you've already got a strong emotional investment in the characters...

[/random speculation]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces