Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
You can't walk a snake anyway. They don't follow people, owner or not and you can't put a leash on 'em.

Why go where there are bear attacks anyway? In what situation is a snake the best line of defense against the bear?

Divorced Millionaire

First of all I want to thank you all for your answers,I enjoyed reading all of them;they are very satisfactory.Now,regarding to what Ivre asked me:

"You can't walk a snake anyway. They don't follow people, owner or not and you can't put a leash on 'em.

Why go where there are bear attacks anyway? In what situation is a snake the best line of defense against the bear?"

Ivre,I used this particular situation as a scene props for my question...there's nothing more to add here,I think.It didn't matter for me if it was another animal(it could have been a wolf for example and it still would not have mattered for me),I just wanted to place the question and I needed a situation.If I would have said a rabit,instead of a bear or wolf,my proposition would not have been pretty logical,isn’t it?
I just wanted to understand these things:

1.Is a snake loyal

2.Is he simply indifferent towards this concept(I mean,can a snake really be grateful to the hands that feed him)

3.If he were engaged in a fight and I would be forced,as well, to fight,would he be attentive not to hurt me by mistake? Or he would get confused by my aggression and bite me as well,despite the years of taking care of his needs.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Angel-Man

1.Is a snake loyal

So it's magic?

The Angel-Man
2.Is he simply indifferent towards this concept(I mean,can a snake really be grateful to the hands that feed him)

Yes,a snake is indifferent toward the humans that feed him. Humans are walking warm trees to snakes. Again, snakes will bite human hands that smell like food whenever possible.

The Angel-Man
3.If he were engaged in a fight and I would be forced,as well, to fight,would he be attentive not to hurt me by mistake?

The snake would just leave. It's what all snakes do.

The Angel-Man
Or he would get confused by my aggression and bite me as well,despite the years of taking care of his needs.

If he can't leave, he'd bite whatever's closest.

But again, owning a snake that's venomous is illegal (sans licence).

It's also very dumb to go walking, especially with a pet, where there are constant bear attacks and usually whoever's in charge of the place will try and stop you. Did a bear just wander onto his back yard and attack randomly?
http://pet-snakes.com/why-snake-bite/comment-page-1

This is where you can learn about pet ownership, etc as it wasn't touched on as part of the topic and would be relevant.

That being said, there's a teeny tiny way around that illegal-to-own-poisonous-snakes law lvre brought up and it's that the character constantly tends to a snake outside of domestication. To disagree with her, not all snakes just run away from a fight. Black racers attack their foe (or really anything or anyone they feel has threatened them) though you have to consider environment. They're most prominent in the south via the U.S. With that little loophole, it's very possible to have a snake somewhat protective as they go on smell when striking at a target and if it smells you, would not attack you (if you aren't being threatening to it). On the other hand, it's like aiming a gun at two people fighting. If you shoot, one of them is going to die and it's a fifty fifty shot it might be the wrong guy. So you might want to step back if it's between a snake and a predator.

If it's a fictional story, it's more than possible to have a snake aware of loyalty (though it's wrongfully known for disloyalty and cowardice) because a lot of snakes DO run from fights. If you're aiming at a realistic fictional story, it's still possible that a snake and a human get along so well that it makes a distinction, but I suggest you do a lot of studying on the instincts of snakes and find out what you could do to make a distinction. It would be stretch but so was this story about a boy who was sort of adopted by a bear who protected him from drowning in a river and getting mauled by a bobcat before returning him to society after him being lost in the woods.
Tenshi Yaminade

That being said, there's a teeny tiny way around that illegal-to-own-poisonous-snakes law lvre brought up and it's that the character constantly tends to a snake outside of domestication. To disagree with her, not all snakes just run away from a fight. Black racers attack their foe (or really anything or anyone they feel has threatened them) though you have to consider environment. They're most prominent in the south via the U.S. With that little loophole, it's very possible to have a snake somewhat protective as they go on smell when striking at a target and if it smells you, would not attack you (if you aren't being threatening to it). On the other hand, it's like aiming a gun at two people fighting. If you shoot, one of them is going to die and it's a fifty fifty shot it might be the wrong guy. So you might want to step back if it's between a snake and a predator.

I did not know this (or how to find it).

Thanks you very much. xd

Divorced Millionaire

Thank you for your answers and I hope that you did not find this question stupid but rather...entertaining as I deemd it mrgreen
Moral Gutpunch

You're welcome. ^_^

700 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
I don't think reptiles have the ability to feel affection towards other animals, unlike mammals. I'm sure this would affect their ability to become loyal to humans.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff