Welcome to Gaia! ::

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

0er0
I used to edit for people and I would go over it with a fine toothed comb, pointing out every grammar issue as well as suggestions for wording along with my reasoning I left it up to them to take or leave those suggestions. I only did it privately and only if they asked me to do it. I also pointed out everything they did right too. I actually learned a lot doing that and no one ever complained about what I was doing. More than one person had me look at more than one work. I see it like this, writing is a skill and getting a critique regardless of whether it is positive or negative can be very useful. As long as it isn't an attack but instead an impartial critique it can be very useful. I feel the same way about art critiques. I also respected their work and made sure I understood what they were trying to do. I don't think writers have to be asses or narcissistic.

I did come across someone like you are describing. She actually hated me for some reason.

King Widow

I would call it being realistic.

A lot of writers never figure it out.
God-the-almighty
0er0
I used to edit for people and I would go over it with a fine toothed comb, pointing out every grammar issue as well as suggestions for wording along with my reasoning I left it up to them to take or leave those suggestions. I only did it privately and only if they asked me to do it. I also pointed out everything they did right too. I actually learned a lot doing that and no one ever complained about what I was doing. More than one person had me look at more than one work. I see it like this, writing is a skill and getting a critique regardless of whether it is positive or negative can be very useful. As long as it isn't an attack but instead an impartial critique it can be very useful. I feel the same way about art critiques. I also respected their work and made sure I understood what they were trying to do. I don't think writers have to be asses or narcissistic.

I did come across someone like you are describing. She actually hated me for some reason.

It's weird. Because writing is simply a tool to tell someone something. Be it a story, a moral or just telling people how you feel. There's more than one way to do it.

Some believe some methods of writing to be incorrect. And you know what? There is some truth to be dug out of that. However based on a review, I can tell you the reviewer's mood when they wrote it. Usually I can guess what stage of college or high school. Or extremely advanced. Typically in writing everyone I know sticks to formal third person.

That style is taught throughout highschool. Later a writer in college learns third person informal. You need informality in any good work and the best of the best don't use a textbook style.

To me every piece of advice I try to give is situational. In this situation do this. There are a lot of basics ignored.

The problem is I get reviewers. Who go into full on edit mode at the first three words and sadly. ... I doubt there's any help to be had. You could edit out the errors until said reviewer cried out, "MUCH BETTER!" But the very next person could just as early rip their edits apart. It's a tragic and vicious system. There is no perfection.

That said I'm glad you're the type of person who privately tells them how to improve. In all likelihood you legitimately are trying to help. And your probably the sort who likes to bring order to chaotic wordplay.

But also remember. What they also need if not more do than learning how to tell a story is to ask questions about the story itself. "Why this? " or "Explain this more. " These are more important than giving people grammar every time.

Keep this in mind. Even a beautifully written story can have no value. It all depends in no small part to what they are saying. The focus of writers and editors shifts mostly to how you said it.

I've had some people ask for another chapter and all I can say is no. It can be harsh but necessary.

You sound like a good rescuer and when the time comes for yet another chapter of my book is finished I'll ask for your help. smile why? Because you seem cool enough.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations of their chosen profession and other writers want to give them a warning. If that warning discourages them from writing, then I guess they weren't cut out to be a writer anyway. The industry can be harsh, and even the most successful authors have had to deal with countless rejection letters. And even of the authors that do get published, most don't make much money. Hell, a significant percentage of published books end up LOSING money. If you go into writing expecting to become the next JK Rowling (in terms of wealth and fame) you should know the odds of that. You have to learn to take criticism, cause you'll be getting it from agents and publishers, and if you end up getting published, critics and fans.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

0er0
God-the-almighty
0er0

It's weird. Because writing is simply a tool to tell someone something. Be it a story, a moral or just telling people how you feel. There's more than one way to do it.

Some believe some methods of writing to be incorrect. And you know what? There is some truth to be dug out of that. However based on a review, I can tell you the reviewer's mood when they wrote it. Usually I can guess what stage of college or high school. Or extremely advanced. Typically in writing everyone I know sticks to formal third person.

That style is taught throughout highschool. Later a writer in college learns third person informal. You need informality in any good work and the best of the best don't use a textbook style.

To me every piece of advice I try to give is situational. In this situation do this. There are a lot of basics ignored.

The problem is I get reviewers. Who go into full on edit mode at the first three words and sadly. ... I doubt there's any help to be had. You could edit out the errors until said reviewer cried out, "MUCH BETTER!" But the very next person could just as early rip their edits apart. It's a tragic and vicious system. There is no perfection.

That said I'm glad you're the type of person who privately tells them how to improve. In all likelihood you legitimately are trying to help. And your probably the sort who likes to bring order to chaotic wordplay.

But also remember. What they also need if not more do than learning how to tell a story is to ask questions about the story itself. "Why this? " or "Explain this more. " These are more important than giving people grammar every time.

Keep this in mind. Even a beautifully written story can have no value. It all depends in no small part to what they are saying. The focus of writers and editors shifts mostly to how you said it.

I've had some people ask for another chapter and all I can say is no. It can be harsh but necessary.

You sound like a good rescuer and when the time comes for yet another chapter of my book is finished I'll ask for your help. smile why? Because you seem cool enough.
The grammar advice was a byproduct of the critique/edit. I'm dyslexic and wanted to write badly for a long time. In my case it was bad so that writing by hand was nearly impossible but the compulsion to write was very strong. In despair and to feel like I wasn't giving up I started studying how successful writers write and how to develop characters and story-lines. I also developed an intense concentration I used to see through the dyslexia. I held stories in my head and edited them there so by the time I figured out I could write on a computer I was ahead of the game. That is what I offered to people, advice on developing their characters and story. They knew about the dyslexia. Going through that insured that I would never discourage anyone else from writing. I'm willing to help when you are ready. To some degree I think the dyslexia has made me a better writer. You can be sure I won't be rewriting anything I look at, instead I'll just look at it and give you any suggestions along with my reasoning behind those suggestions. What you do with it is up to you because it's your story. You need to keep your own voice.
rush, rush, run for your lives! xd write for your lives...
rush again

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
When someone asks me about the design industry, I do everything I can to discourage them simply by telling them just how difficult it is. And if after a period of time, they're still showing interest in it, I start encouraging them.

If you can get discouraged from pursuing something by someone telling you the reality of the work involved, then I don't think the person is to be blamed.

Feisty Lionheart

0er0

That number 4... That's all I'm going to say about that one... lol (1 full minute or more before I could go back to reading it. I feel almost ashamed...) On the other hand, I wish I could learn to be less... nice, when I don't like something in someone's story.
LeoCSnora
0er0

That number 4... That's all I'm going to say about that one... lol (1 full minute or more before I could go back to reading it. I feel almost ashamed...) On the other hand, I wish I could learn to be less... nice, when I don't like something in someone's story.

Glad you liked that.
Maybe being nice is where you shine? No need to fake being mean :p

Feisty Lionheart

0er0

Oh yeah. It was fun. It was like someone poking my brains with a needle or two.
Perhaps.

EDIT:
as a sidenote... I went to see that twitter post and didn't personally see anything wrong with it... If anything it actually only made me smile.
Those who can be discouraged from writing should be.
Ghoulee
Is is just me or do a lot of authors out there tend to be a little discouraging to aspiring authors? I don't know if they mean to or not, but I've seen several talk so negatively about writing. I know it's not the most glamorous or successful profession, but if someone really wants to pursue writing you shouldn't try to scare them off.

I saw this conversation on twitter this morning which is what made me want to say something. This isn't the first time I've seen something like this. https://twitter.com/veschwab/status/627697091708456960

Edit: I know not all authors are like this and I'm also aware that they may just be trying to tell people that writing isn't easy and you shouldn't go in thinking it is. I just think there are better ways of saying that.

Writing is a nearly impossible profession to break into and is filled with cynical ********, myself included.

Do yourself a favor and realize that if you're a writer, statistically, you're probably not going anywhere. Keep reaching for the stars if you want, but at least be realistic.

Dangerous Cutie-Pie

10,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
There are a lot of reasons a writer might try to scare off a new writer. Maybe they are young and petty. Maybe they are old and jaded. Maybe they are in the middle and just don't want the competition. Whatever the reason, you can't let someone else's opinion change how you live your life. If you want to be a writer, than be a writer. Write the ever living cr%p out of your life! 4laugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff