Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Raider

WF, I pose you this hypothetical question:

Suppose you wrote a very famous novel or series of novels. You made a large sum of money. You don't particularly feel like starting a new writing project. There's already a fanfiction base of your work. You've even looked at some of it and laughed at the ideas some people have had.

Would you ever consider writing anonymous fanfiction of your own work, pretending to be just another fan? Perhaps because you want to troll the fans by writing really, really badly. Perhaps because you want to expand upon a relationship that you never had the chance to in the original work. Perhaps you just want to see if anyone can pick that it's you writing and not just another fan.

Would you do it?

I admit, I probably would.
Yes. I've had this discussion with a friend before. Imagine all of the things you wanted to put in the story but couldn't, because you wanted to stay true? Imagine how bad you felt killing off Qurg so now you can write an alternate where he lives? Also, all the smut. All of it.

There's at least one piece I'm working on right now that I want to finish so I can write fanfiction for it. xD Terrible, eh?

Fanatical Cultist

Absolutely.

One of my works ends with the death rites of a major character whose fate in regards to the afterlife is left ambiguous. To be brief, while being judged by his gods after having already died, he made a deal with them; he'd get to go back and do the whole hero thing in exchange for condemning his soul to hell when his death came around for the second time.

This fact is known by his closer friends, but who would want to believe their god would condemn someone who gave up their flippin' soul for the sake of the world? Obviously it was some kind of moral test, right? It had to be.

Personally I like the ambiguity and think it's a better fit for the ending, but that doesn't mean I haven't made a few more plans for him. twisted
If I'm going to write stories set in the same universe as something I've already written even if it's a "what if?" alternate scenario or whatever, I'd just put it out there with my name on it.
I'd probably mess around with the fans a lot in one way or another. xD But as for actually writing fanfiction of my own work... I don't know. I've done writing exercises that basically do the same thing. It would really depend on how I felt at the time. But I think I would want to do it at least once, just to see what people would say.

Actually, I already have half a story I wrote for a nanowrimo last year that features a bunch of my characters in a alternative world. The story was completely different from any of the characters' original stories; the only thing that stayed the same were the personalities. It was pretty much for laughs, to poke fun at rpg quests, and to try to see how far I could get. Does that count?

Blessed Hunter

I think I would write fics but mostly as a dialogue with those already written. And I don't think I would do this anonymous. I would be probably very fan-friendly author.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I've thought about this before, and I've decided, yes. I would likely write a fanfic. And it would fit with canon.

Dangerous Enabler

My first novel was YA, and is apt to be a YA series.

So I would totally write a ton of smutty fanfic, shipping everything. There would be coffee shop AUs.

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
If I had an idea for that world, why not write it and actually sell it?

I can't really see myself not getting involved with another project. That's just not the way I am.
hmmm. It wouldn't be so much of fan fiction but more of a one-shot story.
I would! I would probably write about another way my story could have ended up... ^w^

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
HELL YES.
I would probably post a whole bunch of stuff, like the rough drafts, and what happened to the characters after they died or after the story is finished.
Also, just troll the fans. SO MUCH. Like posting 'What If' type stories and how the dead characters COULD HAVE survived. It would be AMAZING.
Huh, I don't know. I'd never really thought about it. I'd definitely read fanfiction of my series/story/whatevs that other people had written tho!

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Yup. I admit there are some things in my story that I've kicked around but I know won't make the cut but would be so entertaining to write about. Plus, if I was feeling uninspired for my series, it would probably help to work on a fanfic for it where I won't be expected for it to be as polished as the book itself. Plus, I'd probably go through the fanfictions to see what my fans (if I get any) like and have wanted to see. xD

Fanatical Cultist

OhmyNERMBERS
Also, just troll the fans. SO MUCH
On the subject of trolling fans...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff