Welcome to Gaia! ::

O.G. Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Informer 100
I'm not too concerned on muscle size.
I'm looking more for definition and toning.

Shirtless Wench

Definition and toning are what happens when you build muscle and lose the fat lying on top of it.

Just lifting won't make you big - your body naturally builds "lean" muscle. If you're a guy, you'll tend to bulk up a little easier than a woman, but you still won't look like a bodybuilder after pursuing a regular lifting routine. It takes years, a lot of knowledge and a hell of a lot of effort to get "big".

Muscles, abs - it's made in the kitchen. So lifting a s**t ton won't do you any good if you eat like s**t - get your diet right and lift well.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
I've not heard of any muscle that's not lean.

Still don't understand what you're asking though.

You can gain muscle you'll want to do one thing.

To lose fat you'll want to do another.

There are literally millions of articles out there (on the internet as well as on this forum) so I suggest you decide on a goal and start looking for those.
lift weights. eat fewer calories and more protein.

it'll take a while. took you a long time to get fat, take you a long time to get skinny.

Gracious Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Pie Pusher 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Trafficker 100
Definition and tone are gained from performing high intensity exercises with a low to medium weight, at very high reps.

O.G. Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Informer 100
Bear-O-Dactyl
Definition and tone are gained from performing high intensity exercises with a low to medium weight, at very high reps.

Thank you!
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

Good to know!

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Bear-O-Dactyl

Just to let you guys know, this is completely and utterly incorrect. Not one part of this statement is true. Definition is the result of muscles being visible because body fat is low. Building muscle and then dieting away fat is the only way to get "toned".Cardio helps but ultimately, definition is made in the kitchen.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
theAcinonyx_rex
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

Good to know!

Again, just to reiterate my point. He is wrong. This is not how one gets lean.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

Going to say it a third time. Don't thank him. He is completely wrong. Low to medium weight for high reps is only good for building endurance. It does nothing to get you toned. There is only one kind of muscle, there is no such thing as lean muscle and all muscle is equally toned. You want definition you have to lower your body fat, which means dieting

O.G. Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Informer 100
Wolfdude87
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

Going to say it a third time. Don't thank him. He is completely wrong. Low to medium weight for high reps is only good for building endurance. It does nothing to get you toned. There is only one kind of muscle, there is no such thing as lean muscle and all muscle is equally toned. You want definition you have to lower your body fat, which means dieting

If dieting is the case, then I'm on the right track. I've taken out a lot of fatty foods, and just stuck to rice and beans mixed with tuna. Occasionally with chicken, but it's all organic. Took out my bad snacking, replaced with fruits and nuts. I'm also taking protein, meal replacement protein.
Wolfdude87
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

Where do you get your information? I'm looking for information (obviously) and keep finding the wrong sources.

Gracious Raider

theAcinonyx_rex
Wolfdude87
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

Where do you get your information? I'm looking for information (obviously) and keep finding the wrong sources.

I'm with Wolfdude. I don't do any exercise for more than 10 reps, except maybe weighted roman chair situps or tricep dips if I can't find a weight belt. Low reps is going to do more. I suggest sets of 5 for 5-8 reps will build muscle mass (this is lean muscle, as long as you keep your diet right ((i.e. Wolfdude saying "made in the kitchen" wink ) you won't get fat along with it.) One can gain muscle without fat, you're just exercising. Not bulking for a competition.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Handsome Dynamite
theAcinonyx_rex
Wolfdude87
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

I'm with Wolfdude. I don't do any exercise for more than 10 reps, except maybe weighted roman chair situps or tricep dips if I can't find a weight belt. Low reps is going to do more. I suggest sets of 5 for 5-8 reps will build muscle mass (this is lean muscle, as long as you keep your diet right ((i.e. Wolfdude saying "made in the kitchen" wink ) you won't get fat along with it.) One can gain muscle without fat, you're just exercising. Not bulking for a competition.

I must get my information from the same place you do haha. But I will try to link a source when I get home from work this evening. But for the record what Hamdsome and I are saying is accurate. Look at our pictures. That should be source enough. And my picture is 8 months old.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Denzen
Wolfdude87
Denzen
Bear-O-Dactyl

Thank you!

If dieting is the case, then I'm on the right track. I've taken out a lot of fatty foods, and just stuck to rice and beans mixed with tuna. Occasionally with chicken, but it's all organic. Took out my bad snacking, replaced with fruits and nuts. I'm also taking protein, meal replacement protein.

Sounds like a good diet, do you count calories and/or macros too? That would help as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff