Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Quote:
@ NightfallDuet, yikes! Body-swapping/ posession are a couple of the supernatural elements I enjoy too. Then again, it is Meyer, so I should have anticipated that. Heck, like you, I remember precisely where I am in the first book of Twilight- page 125 give or take 2 pages. Mostly because I reminded myself frequently after I found out I grabbed Eclipse on accident last year. Fun how that happens. XD

I loved the concept she came up with. It was great! It had SOMETHING! But, after reading it for myself, I realized that it just wasn't worth it anymore--and normally I do like a little sci-fi every now and then--because this is Meyer we're talking about, and there's no way in hell it's gonna be good.

In The Host, I was in the middle of Chapter 13, and it was where they were gaining up on Melanie/Wanderer because they believed she was a monster...blah, blah, blah. Her (Melanie's) uncle/grandpa wanted her dead...blah, blah, blah...and they were also upset that she was evil...yada, yada. Melanie was whining (near Bella Swan levels, if I remember right) and Wanderer was pretty much telling her the whole time to shut up, and being, well, a rude Bella, I guess.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I remember. >_<

I mean, I would have enjoyed it if it wasn't too blandly boring and overdone with ~humans are weak~ bullshit. I...don't know.

If you want to read it, go ahead--be my guest. But take it from me, it's not really worth it. *shrugs* Just saying.

Dapper Dabbler

10,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
TheQuietRiversRage

Is "The Host" any better than Twilight? If so, library rental, audiobook, or must- buy book? If not, what elements from the Twilight Series should have Meyer implemented or should she have gone a completely different route than she did in either?

While it's been a while since I read either, I did think "The Host" was better than Twilight. There actually was a part where I *gasp* didn't want to stop reading. That was about three years ago, though, so...Anyway, if your interested in reading it, I would recommend checking it out from the library. It's definitely not a must-buy.

Manly Man-Lover

An inner character that tells the whiny main to shut up? I daresay that I like the idea. :3

See, the "humans are inferior" route she takes is a bit odd to me. There are better ways to do that than to delve into supernatural/ sci-fi works and give the non-human beings "godlike" descriptions. :-/ Especially since it's her human characters that have the most appeal. Bella being an exception.

But back to the topic, I'll likely give "The Host" a chance- a last one for Meyer. It really sounds a lot better than Twilight and knowing there's another character telling the main to shut up when she's whining may be the right kind of distraction to finish.

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
TheQuietRiversRage
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
This will probably be pretty bad. I think she's milking the cow for all it's worth.
I figured so much. I mean, it seems like she kinda dropped off the radar (writing-wise) after Bree Tanner and the Midnight Sun "leak". It almost makes me wonder if she is on a hiatus or gave up. She does have good ideas, just bad execution. And zero concept on how to create an intriguing love triangle that isn't as shallow as a dog's water bowl.

@ NightfallDuet, yikes! Body-swapping/ posession are a couple of the supernatural elements I enjoy too. sad Then again, it is Meyer, so I should have anticipated that. Heck, like you, I remember precisely where I am in the first book of Twilight- page 125 give or take 2 pages. Mostly because I reminded myself frequently after I found out I grabbed Eclipse on accident last year. Fun how that happens. XD

Actually, The Host came out before plans to write Bree Tanner were in the works, and as far as I know, she was planning on writing it before Midnight Sun got leaked as well.

I know that because the book came out back in 2009 or 2008, a few months after Breaking Dawn and some time in my senior year of high school. Bree Tanner hadn't come out until early 2011, if I remember right.

Beloved Shapeshifter

Agent Sawbones
TheQuietRiversRage
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
This will probably be pretty bad. I think she's milking the cow for all it's worth.
I figured so much. I mean, it seems like she kinda dropped off the radar (writing-wise) after Bree Tanner and the Midnight Sun "leak". It almost makes me wonder if she is on a hiatus or gave up. She does have good ideas, just bad execution. And zero concept on how to create an intriguing love triangle that isn't as shallow as a dog's water bowl.

@ NightfallDuet, yikes! Body-swapping/ posession are a couple of the supernatural elements I enjoy too. sad Then again, it is Meyer, so I should have anticipated that. Heck, like you, I remember precisely where I am in the first book of Twilight- page 125 give or take 2 pages. Mostly because I reminded myself frequently after I found out I grabbed Eclipse on accident last year. Fun how that happens. XD

Actually, The Host came out before plans to write Bree Tanner were in the works, and as far as I know, she was planning on writing it before Midnight Sun got leaked as well.

I know that because the book came out back in 2009 or 2008, a few months after Breaking Dawn and some time in my senior year of high school. Bree Tanner hadn't come out until early 2011, if I remember right.
I think that's what he meant. She does seem like she's been off the radar. Last year, there was talk of her doing these ideas that included a mermaid story and sequel to The Host, but she doesn't have anything new up aside from promos of her new movie. As for Bree Tanner, I thought that came out around '10. This movie rendition of The Host seems to be the most recent thing that has been released/ heard from her in at least a year.

Alas, I may check out the movie. I like her ideas, but need that fourth wall not in her books. But will read at least an exerpt online before committing myself.

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Suiseiten
Agent Sawbones
TheQuietRiversRage
Doctor Murdoc Niccals

I think that's what he meant. She does seem like she's been off the radar. Last year, there was talk of her doing these ideas that included a mermaid story and sequel to The Host, but she doesn't have anything new up aside from promos of her new movie. As for Bree Tanner, I thought that came out around '10. This movie rendition of The Host seems to be the most recent thing that has been released/ heard from her in at least a year.

Alas, I may check out the movie. I like her ideas, but need that fourth wall not in her books. But will read at least an exerpt online before committing myself.

Bree Tanner might have come out in '10. But I don't remember that well.

I hadn't read The Host, but a classmate did. She said that while there may have been some mild improvement, it wasn't particularly noticeable. Kind of described it as "Animorphs meets Twilight" (my wording) so I ultimately didn't look into it. I had only read through all of the books in the Twilight series because I felt compelled to finish the series; I had trouble getting past the first paragraph of Twilight, so The Host is likely pretty much the exact same basic story.

Beloved Shapeshifter

Agent Sawbones
Suiseiten
Agent Sawbones
TheQuietRiversRage
Doctor Murdoc Niccals

Bree Tanner might have come out in '10. But I don't remember that well.

I hadn't read The Host, but a classmate did. She said that while there may have been some mild improvement, it wasn't particularly noticeable. Kind of described it as "Animorphs meets Twilight" (my wording) so I ultimately didn't look into it. I had only read through all of the books in the Twilight series because I felt compelled to finish the series; I had trouble getting past the first paragraph of Twilight, so The Host is likely pretty much the exact same basic story.
Yeah, I can vouche on the same thing. I've yet to finish Twilight because it's more painful than teeth removal. Yet, though not the top selling blockbusters that hardcore fans think they should be, I do find some enjoyment in the movies. Be it some of the overboard drama that is pure sugar for my sarcasm or some of the moments done right (there are some, even if the context takes away from some of that), the movies weren't completely bad. I reserve that for one of the Bruce Campbell movies I've seen and cannot remember the name of because it sucked that bad.

But yeah. I heard that description as well. It's a lot of why I'm curious, but hesitant.
I'm just not into 'The Host.' I tried to listen to the audio book while driving cross country but it got boring quicklyso I reverted to Harry Potter. Thus, I prob won't see the movie.
I'm just not into 'The Host.' I tried to listen to the audio book while driving cross country but it got boring quicklyso I reverted to Harry Potter. Thus, I prob won't see the movie.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
caligulasAquarium

Honestly? I preview all my books at the library before purchasing them. Makes it easier to know what I want when I walk in the door.

With that said, I still won't be checking out the Host. I might just try to find something on it online. From what I've read from other people reading it, it's not really worth the effort to read when I have other books to read.

(The Lab Rat Chronicles, anyone?)
            User Image

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
@Minvera: I still have the book, but I think it might be in storage with everything else. xD

I brought it on a whim because I was hoping she could redeem herself after Breaking Disaster Dawn a little--BUT I WAS WRONG! crying Dead Wrong.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff