Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Did you prefer the book,The Hunger Games or the movie?

Book 0.75263157894737 75.3% [ 143 ]
Movie 0.24736842105263 24.7% [ 47 ]
Total Votes:[ 190 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

I liked the movie only a tiny bit better.

Greedy Lunatic

penelopelovee
Middendorffi
penelopelovee
BOOK
Next time you take a picture, stand up straight please... cat_sweatdrop

Book, I'm not sure if there are people that liked the movie better.

Or you could keep your opinion to yourself?
My picture is what I want it to be.
You picture was a desperate call for males.

It's just not classy. If that was your intention, fine.

Junior Noob

4,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Both were so amazing!! emotion_kirakira
Movie, definitely. When I read the book, I had a different "image" in my head.
I did enjoy the movie, but the book was better.

Sigalang's Princess

Anxious Shapeshifter

9,565 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Boookk~ But the Movie was awesome gaia_star
I usually hate the movies if I've read the book because they always leave so much stuff out but to be honest I think I like them both equally in this case. I LOVED the book and I LOVED the movie...can't wait for the next ones to come out!! whee 3nodding
I haven't read it, but it must be better than the movie

Original Gaian

11,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
Alini
What I'm wondering is has anyone read the book AFTER they saw the movie and which did they prefer? Because I have a theory people tend to prefer the medium they see first.

I hadn't read the book, so when the movie came out, I promised someone I'd see it before reading the book so she could get an honest view on how well the movie captured the book. I read the book after I saw the movie.

I think the movie is a very faithful adaptation in nearly ever respect.

*SPOILER ALERT*

One thing the movie did better was the hounds near the end. In the book, for the creatures to be mutated versions of the dead tributes eroded my willing suspension of disbelief. The games depend on driving home to the Districts how occupied and helpless they are, but they equally depend on keeping the Capitol general population clueless as to how abused & oppressed the districts really are. If the remaining tributes could see the fallen in those creatures, the Capitol audience who have been watching all along couldn't fail to see it as well. I have trouble believing the government would do something that would make even the rich elite (in their very backyard, no less) question them. That part of the book just didn't ring true, and I think I'd have had a problem with that part of the book, movie or no.

One thing the book did extremely well that the movie could never capture was the importance of that loaf of burned bread. The movie just makes it look like, yeah, Peeta helped her out a bit. Part of the problem is in the timing; we can't see how young Katniss really was when it happened. In the book, that bread was one of the defining moments of her young life. It saved her and the rest of her family, it enabled her to recognize hope in the coming of spring growth, and it gave her the strength needed to go gathering. That loaf of bread bridged the gap until she turned 12 & could buy food for herself & her family by increasing her name slips in the lottery. It literally marked the difference between survival & death.

*end of spoiler*

There are nice touches in the book that aren't in the movie, of course. But then again, there are things in the production design of the movie, such as the Cornucopia design, that I rather like better.
(ugh, it's late here; back to bed, & now that the neighbors have quieted down, probable sleep)
i like both but sometimes i prefer to watch the movie :nods: heart heart

Friendly Player

6,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
for me to absolutely, positively be in love with the movie, they would have to make it perfectly like the books. still a good movie though.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
x Racist Panda x
Movie, definitely. When I read the book, I had a different "image" in my head.

-Approves biggrin

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Aerynfox
Alini
What I'm wondering is has anyone read the book AFTER they saw the movie and which did they prefer? Because I have a theory people tend to prefer the medium they see first.

I hadn't read the book, so when the movie came out, I promised someone I'd see it before reading the book so she could get an honest view on how well the movie captured the book. I read the book after I saw the movie.

I think the movie is a very faithful adaptation in nearly ever respect.

*SPOILER ALERT*

One thing the movie did better was the hounds near the end. In the book, for the creatures to be mutated versions of the dead tributes eroded my willing suspension of disbelief. The games depend on driving home to the Districts how occupied and helpless they are, but they equally depend on keeping the Capitol general population clueless as to how abused & oppressed the districts really are. If the remaining tributes could see the fallen in those creatures, the Capitol audience who have been watching all along couldn't fail to see it as well. I have trouble believing the government would do something that would make even the rich elite (in their very backyard, no less) question them. That part of the book just didn't ring true, and I think I'd have had a problem with that part of the book, movie or no.

One thing the book did extremely well that the movie could never capture was the importance of that loaf of burned bread. The movie just makes it look like, yeah, Peeta helped her out a bit. Part of the problem is in the timing; we can't see how young Katniss really was when it happened. In the book, that bread was one of the defining moments of her young life. It saved her and the rest of her family, it enabled her to recognize hope in the coming of spring growth, and it gave her the strength needed to go gathering. That loaf of bread bridged the gap until she turned 12 & could buy food for herself & her family by increasing her name slips in the lottery. It literally marked the difference between survival & death.

*end of spoiler*

There are nice touches in the book that aren't in the movie, of course. But then again, there are things in the production design of the movie, such as the Cornucopia design, that I rather like better.
(ugh, it's late here; back to bed, & now that the neighbors have quieted down, probable sleep)

With the book I did struggle to imagine the creatures.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
kayki03
Boookk~ But the Movie was awesome gaia_star

3nodding

Greedy Kitten

Book, movie changed it up too much.
But the movie was great nonetheless. :3

Quick Reply