Total Votes:[ 175 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Fashionable Fatcat

30,875 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Caerthakatha
Yes, but when you've got dwarves who look like Bombur and Balin and dwarves who look like Kili, it gets so bad that it's hard to believe they're meant to be the same species/race. Humans don't look that radically different and elves all look the same.

User Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ ♥
====================================== ♥ ~

What?
Real life people look dramatically different.
People in the media tend to look similar because of society's standard of 'beauty' and what not.
And elves may possibly look the same because they are usually playing minor roles/background characters where the point of their character is to not stand out.
Maybe Kili won/lost the genetic lottery and got a pretty face?
I don't think ugliness is a qualification for a species/race.

~ ♥
====================================== ♥ ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Ty_die
Kelso The Great
Ty_die
I just love how Pete Jackson's creation of Tauriel threw in so much more plot. lol

Lol Awkward romance subplots!! OMG WHY IS SHE SO DAMN BLINDING!?!

Because elves do that when they heal the sick, I guess. Case in point, Arwen healing Frodo's Morgul wound.

Yeah I remember that... but Arwen wasn't half as bright... I almost had to shield my eyes and look away it was such a huge difference in contrast scene to scene...

and of course after spending an hour talking about everything I thought about the film the only replies I get are people flaunting their facts...
Had someone correcting me on lineage of Filli and Killi in the only other reply I got... emotion_facepalm
Is that a Gaia or Tolkien Fan thing? I hope everyone in these threads aren't here to one up each other about their knowledge of Middle Earth... I still have some reading to go...

Sparkly Explorer

Plinti

Fili's beard is bigger than Kili's, being the older brother. Maybe that was just their way to show how much younger than the rest they are.

Didn't think of this but that's a good idea. Furthermore, the Hollywood effect on this film is somewhat evident.

9,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
My only thought is that they are still young. Kili and Fili are the normal looking ones but they are also the youngest.

Witty Shapeshifter

14,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Threadmaster 200
Kelso The Great

and of course after spending an hour talking about everything I thought about the film the only replies I get are people flaunting their facts...
Had someone correcting me on lineage of Filli and Killi in the only other reply I got... emotion_facepalm

Were you looking for a different answer?
User Image

Tipsy Genius

9,325 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Kelso The Great
Ty_die
Kelso The Great
Ty_die
I just love how Pete Jackson's creation of Tauriel threw in so much more plot. lol

Lol Awkward romance subplots!! OMG WHY IS SHE SO DAMN BLINDING!?!

Because elves do that when they heal the sick, I guess. Case in point, Arwen healing Frodo's Morgul wound.

Yeah I remember that... but Arwen wasn't half as bright... I almost had to shield my eyes and look away it was such a huge difference in contrast scene to scene...

Is that a Gaia or Tolkien Fan thing? I hope everyone in these threads aren't here to one up each other about their knowledge of Middle Earth... I still have some reading to go...

I hear ya. I've had the privilege of being friends already with the people I've encountered who are like that, so they're not as rude when they make their corrections/assertions. Or at least they don't come across as rude. Some people just really know their s**t.
I think the sticklers are just the ones who are proud of themselves for specializing in one thing at least, so they try to impress everyone else with their extensive knowledge. It can be annoying and/or offensive, but they probably just feel like they have something to prove. They're also usually fans that have been around forever or that just now got into the fandom and got in really deep. I'm sorry if they kinda troll you. It does make a person want to smack a fellow, but that's just how that goes with several fandoms, as you may discover.
I think most fans have a working knowledge of their lineage, which is just that they are Thorin's nephews, and Thorin is the son of Thrain, blah blah blah. You just glean these from the films and interviews and other materials related to the fandom. Then there are the people who pore over the books like Gandalf in the first movie looking for whatever tidbit that gives him the idea to throw the ring in the fire. I think those are the ones trying to school you. lol
Reading over this, I apologize if I come across as rude, condescending, or unpalatable in any form. These are just my conjectures. I offer them up for the purpose of our conversation.
But yeah. Arwen wasn't nearly as bright as Tauriel, but she did in fact glow. lol Maybe dwarves are more sensitive to light than hobbits because they live underground and never come out into the sunlight or something. -shrug- Idano.

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Ty_die

I was trying to make an observation... and I am starting to think this fandom nazism, is linked somehow to internet courage... lol
I can admit to being very nerdy myself when it comes to stupid details...
I know there have been times where the boyfriend was listening to me only out of courtesy... LOL

Tipsy Genius

9,325 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Kelso The Great
Ty_die

I was trying to make an observation... and I am starting to think this fandom nazism, is linked somehow to internet courage... lol
I can admit to being very nerdy myself when it comes to stupid details...
I know there have been times where the boyfriend was listening to me only out of courtesy... LOL

Well, observations are definitely fodder for conversation. razz I think you're onto something there with the internet courage thing. People can be dicks and not have to deal with the chagrin of social backlash when onlookers point out that it's not cool. Like, if you and I were standing in person talking with your friends and my friends standing around, there are things that we wouldn't say or that we would try to put more delicately in order to avoid reproachful looks from the other side. Online, it's just whatever people feel strongly enough about that they feel moved to verbally reply, rather than giving nonverbal social cues that show their disapproval.
Oh trust me, I know what you're talking about. lol I have a total sweetheart who listens to me rave about Sherlock with dutiful patience, even though I obviously love the show a million times more.

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Ty_die

This Right Here makes me just want to log off... I really have no clue what to do with myself when I encounter these people... Like I admit to being that way myself, but at least I am not so flat headed that I can't see past my own reflection in the window... JUST SAYIN'!
So I take it you are a CumberSmaug fan? I admit wanting to see the BBC Sherlock series... Is it on Netflix? Or do I need to get my peg-leg and eye patch for this one? How is it? on a scale of 5 stars? Is it like Dr Who? Because I just can't... last BBC series I watched and nerded over with the little brother was...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
So that should give you a good idea... Is there humor? or is it all really intensely suspenseful?
I do say I love the guy ritchie film versions starring Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law.

Tipsy Genius

9,325 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Kelso The Great
Ty_die

This Right Here makes me just want to log off... I really have no clue what to do with myself when I encounter these people... Like I admit to being that way myself, but at least I am not so flat headed that I can't see past my own reflection in the window... JUST SAYIN'!
So I take it you are a CumberSmaug fan? I admit wanting to see the BBC Sherlock series... Is it on Netflix? Or do I need to get my peg-leg and eye patch for this one? How is it? on a scale of 5 stars? Is it like Dr Who? Because I just can't... last BBC series I watched and nerded over with the little brother was...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
So that should give you a good idea... Is there humor? or is it all really intensely suspenseful?
I do say I love the guy ritchie film versions starring Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law.

Hmm. I see your dilemma, and I wish I had some advice. The best I can think of is to be as non-prickly as possible so that they feel subconsciously obligated to treat you with due respect in kind. May be a bit manipulative in my thinking, but that's just the way strategy can sound, especially when attempting to be diplomatic and unoffensive. The only thing is that no one on this planet is truly a neutral observer; we just attempt to be for the sake of argument, but something always leaks through. You just gotta take it in stride and not bother calling people out on it because labels tend to make things a little more tense than they need to be. That's all I've got on that subject. haha
As for Sherlock, yes, it is on Netflix! You can watch both seasons, and series 3 comes out in January, so hooray! You're lucky you only have to wait weeks instead of years like the rest of the fandom. Well, my wait is/was months because I discovered it relatively recently, but the last time an episode aired was 2 freakin years ago. My God I love what you did there about paying an arm and a leg. That's so refreshing, someone with wit. smile Anyway, I give it a 5/5 stars. I haven't seen Who, but Moffat writes for both, so that's for you to decide when you see it. And you should see it. It's fantastic. There is definitely humor, but augh! My god! The cinematography! The music! The acting! It's all so delicious, so well-done. You'll love it. You'll hate that you love it. lol If you enjoyed the films, you'll enjoy the show, I think, though the two Sherlocks are played very differently and presented differently as well. RDJ brings with him that Tony Stark playboy air, especially with Rachel McAdams as Irene and their complicated love thing. But BBC makes them more chaotic neutral rivals than love interests, though there are some nice touches in their dynamic that keep it interesting.
Just so you're prepared, though....Sherlock=2 seasons, 3 episodes per season, 1 hour 30 min per episode. They're each a little movie of their own, so make sure you've got a good chunk of time to kill before you sit down to watch, preferably no distractions so you can appreciate it. Get comfy. lol I was on Netflix looking for a new show to watch, and I saw Sherlock and was like, oh hey let's see what the hullabaloo is about with this show. I've seen lots of good things. -click- Start watching, kinda like okay, it's pretty good I guess. Benedict shows up, and I'm like HOLY MOTHER ******** I DID NOT EXPECT HIM TO SOUND LIKE THAT. Because he looks so...I don't even know what to call it anymore. But I was expecting a little higher, less mature sound, not ******** Jeremy Irons in that unassuming-looking little s**t. lol
Sorry. So yah. I'm a fan. I saw the new Hobbit movie and bearing in mind that that was all Benedict with no enhancements, I was blown away. He's also the Necromancer, which I would have NO IDEA if I hadn't been informed.

Dangerous Gaian

5,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
yeah I know that kili is supposed to be a younger dwarf but seriously no beard just scruff thats not cool and he is way to pretty to be a dwarf gimil from lotr wasn't that pretty what happened to that even gloin gimli's dad wasn't that bad looking its amazing when you see the real actors they look way better looking with the dwarf make up and stuff on wtf????

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Ty_die

Well I tried to make an effort to try to show that there are still some people who care enough to make an effort to show there is someone online who gave a damn, even though they messed that up in less than a page of posts... OMG Like dishes sounded like more fun than continuing to wrack my brain! lol
YAARG THAR STILL BE PIRATES WHAT ROW THESE ONLINE SEAS!!
So a year ago we got cable and internet, but before that we were stuck to DVD's! We amassed quite the collection, including a few copies of LOTR, and Sherlock Holmes... and there was a trailer for the DVD of BBC Sherlock... so I already knew his voice was very baritone... but there is absolutely no way his Smaug voice doesn't have effects! I don't believe it! So he did the Necromancer/Sauron... I didn't realize his lines were that clear... I mean some black speech which is just mangled elvish... was it for Hobbit of DOS or both? But alas the theater lacks subtitles which is a must have for my illiterate a**. My only question is where are the Nine? The Black Riders? Gandalf went and checked out the tombs in Angmar, like the appendix timeline states... But what were the 9 fallen kings up to? They weren't getting their party on in Dol Goldur? They weren't chasing Bilbo yet, I guess since the ring wasn't strong enough yet to take hold of his desires... So where were they? Making flower arrangments in Mordor? Sprucing up Barad Dur for the return of their Dark Master? Like he woke them up to do some house cleaning... LOL
Jeremy Irons always reminds me of a younger Christopher Lloyd...

Tipsy Genius

9,325 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Kelso The Great
Ty_die

Well I tried to make an effort to try to show that there are still some people who care enough to make an effort to show there is someone online who gave a damn, even though they messed that up in less than a page of posts... OMG Like dishes sounded like more fun than continuing to wrack my brain! lol
YAARG THAR STILL BE PIRATES WHAT ROW THESE ONLINE SEAS!!
So a year ago we got cable and internet, but before that we were stuck to DVD's! We amassed quite the collection, including a few copies of LOTR, and Sherlock Holmes... and there was a trailer for the DVD of BBC Sherlock... so I already knew his voice was very baritone... but there is absolutely no way his Smaug voice doesn't have effects! I don't believe it! So he did the Necromancer/Sauron... I didn't realize his lines were that clear... I mean some black speech which is just mangled elvish... was it for Hobbit of DOS or both? But alas the theater lacks subtitles which is a must have for my illiterate a**. My only question is where are the Nine? The Black Riders? Gandalf went and checked out the tombs in Angmar, like the appendix timeline states... But what were the 9 fallen kings up to? They weren't getting their party on in Dol Goldur? They weren't chasing Bilbo yet, I guess since the ring wasn't strong enough yet to take hold of his desires... So where were they? Making flower arrangments in Mordor? Sprucing up Barad Dur for the return of their Dark Master? Like he woke them up to do some house cleaning... LOL
Jeremy Irons always reminds me of a younger Christopher Lloyd...

Well, let me back up a bit. I saw an interview with Benedict talking about his process, and he said that he did the black speech and also did some live motion capture for Necro (I think, or else it was just training to get the feel of it) and he suggested that they play it backwards, record that, and play forwards the backwards track of the original black speech. So that's why/how he sounds like his voice is seething and hissing through a crag or whatever. And it was Ben's idea, but I was surprised that it wasn't the obvious decision in the first place. stare But I also saw something else, I forget, that mentioned the deep, deep dragon voice was all him and his throat hurt to maintain that depth. But they may have layered something over that in addition. I don't know, but I'd say they prob added something to make it more reptilian. I have no idea if he did it on both, but it was both in Desolation. The cool thing is that the chant that sounds like "haj naj zhimbagruk, haj naj..." is the same as what you hear whenever Frodo puts on the ring, which we know from Gandalf's convo at the table in Bag End that it means "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to (something something) and in the darkness bind them." lol
Um, as for the Nine, I think they were in Dol Goldur, 'cause Radagast was attacked by a wraith in the first one there. But yeah for all we know they very well could have been making Athelas crowns and polishing their Morgul swords.
Christopher Lloyd? Really? Like, Doc Brown? Or Christopher Lee, Saruman?

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Ty_die

I knew there was some kind of special hollywood magic... I like the whole recording backwards thing... it always creates a demented warped effect... I would imagine his vocal chords would be tickly at least from going so low... I mean I can maintain a low deep voice for a lady, but after a while it gets itchy and hurts.... so voice acting is gnarly killer compared to physically acting. So since I have all the literature I could find on middle earth, I have that phrase memorized... "One Ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them." I rather enjoy all the poems and songs in elvish... I wish they included more songs to Elbereth Gilthoneil... My absolute favorite from the film was the Lament for Gandalf sang in Lothlorien.
So if the Silmarillion was ever made into a film, how do you think it should go? If you know of some of the events....

Tipsy Genius

9,325 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Kelso The Great
Ty_die

I knew there was some kind of special hollywood magic... I like the whole recording backwards thing... it always creates a demented warped effect... I would imagine his vocal chords would be tickly at least from going so low... I mean I can maintain a low deep voice for a lady, but after a while it gets itchy and hurts.... so voice acting is gnarly killer compared to physically acting. So since I have all the literature I could find on middle earth, I have that phrase memorized... "One Ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them." I rather enjoy all the poems and songs in elvish... I wish they included more songs to Elbereth Gilthoneil... My absolute favorite from the film was the Lament for Gandalf sang in Lothlorien.
So if the Silmarillion was ever made into a film, how do you think it should go? If you know of some of the events....

I actually never got around to reading more Tolkien past Hobbit and LOTR. I got into it in middle school, and the library had a couple other works, but I didn't want to bother with them because they weren't related. Or I assumed so. Are they?
Benedict did say that Sauron is like this black hole that sucks everything in, this nebulous, half-formed figure with no shape and no real being, so he wanted to embody that emptiness, that backward pull, with the effects on his voice. That's why he opted for a windy high pitch as well.
I was so mad that Frodo didn't do the "There is an inn, a merry old inn" song, but they did it in the extended version of Unexpected Journey with the dwarves. The tune wasn't what I imagined, though, so it was disappointing. Kili also fancied an elf dude who he thought was a woman, which I thought was unnecessary and just thrown in for a cheap laugh. I'm glad they cut the scene. :/
That's what I thought it was, but I'm too lazy to look stuff up. It's 5 am. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces