Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is literacy a valid insult?

Yes 0.45263157894737 45.3% [ 43 ]
No 0.54736842105263 54.7% [ 52 ]
Total Votes:[ 95 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

There exist good arguements for both cases I think. Some users become disgusted by people who, while literate, fail to obey the majority of grammar and spelling rules. Those who have a habit of making up their own language and then becoming insulted that people cannot understand them are the usual targets. The suggestion that they are illiterate, in my opinion, stems from the assumtion that they must not have picked up a book or noted typical writing patters if their output is so indecipherable.

I agree that it's not entirely accurate, but insulting someone's ability to read is easily equated with stupidity. -le shrug-
HeartlessAge
Well, i've noticed that many use "net-type," but as a convenient way of quickly typing a lot of information. However, should the use of "net-type" be seen as a lack of intelligence?
No. It's not.
However, when someone types like they were having an epileptic seizure on the keyboard - with their face - then it's a problem. That's where the "literacy as an insult" comes into play.
HeartlessAge
Saradiel
HeartlessAge
Well, i've noticed that many use "net-type," but as a convenient way of quickly typing a lot of information. However, should the use of "net-type" be seen as a lack of intelligence?

It isn't lack of intelligence, but it makes the speaker look lazy.

Then is lazyness worthy of insult considering how procrastinatory the majority of the world's population is?

It depends on the point the author of the thread is trying to get across. I've said this many times... If you truly want to be taken seriously about a topic you feel strongly about, using good grammar and taking the time to make a convincing and easily read post will make a huge difference.
LOL TOM CRUISE
i just love when people call others illiterates
then they make a mistake in their post rofl

I do too. xd
A lot of idiots never read. The people who've never read a book that wasn't assigned to them, the people whose eyes glaze over when more than a paragraph is being presented to them. I think that has a LOT to do with stupidity. I still think literacy is a good indicator of intelligence, especially on forums.
Saradiel
HeartlessAge
Saradiel
HeartlessAge

It isn't lack of intelligence, but it makes the speaker look lazy.

Then is lazyness worthy of insult considering how procrastinatory the majority of the world's population is?

It depends on the point the author of the thread is trying to get across. I've said this many times... If you truly want to be taken seriously about a topic you feel strongly about, using good grammar and taking the time to make a convincing and easily read post will make a huge difference.

Insult....perhaps. A lowering of respect for that person? I think so. Like Saradiel mentioned, it doesn't do your arguement any good if you use the vocabulary and spelling styles associated with chatspeak.
The Dred Pirate Gossy
A lot of idiots never read. The people who've never read a book that wasn't assigned to them, the people whose eyes glaze over when more than a paragraph is being presented to them. I think that has a LOT to do with stupidity. I still think literacy is a good indicator of intelligence, especially on forums.

Aye, however, i've rarely read a book unless it was assigned to me, so does that make me "sta-hoop-id?"
Sir Thursday
LOL TOM CRUISE
i just love when people call others illiterates
then they make a mistake in their post rofl

I do too. xd

Everyone, even literate people, make mistakes. The difference is whether or not they take the time to correct themselves.
The Dred Pirate Gossy

I'd rather think that that's an indication of whether someone is well-read or not, not stupidity.

On forums, "litearcy" is one of the only ways by which people can judge others. So, to make a good impression, people should type correctly. So in this respect, using it as a standard is understandable. But in real life, I don't think this is applicable.
In the name of creatures big and small, the polls are nearly tied?! Shan't anyone come to the aid of justice and guide her to strike at the unjust with her fell blade?
When it comes to discussing your opinions about something, spelling out your words, and using correct punctuation is generally viewed as a common courtesy to those people who will be reading what you write.

If you're making a three word reply, then do/type whatever you want, because most people skip over those posts without so much as a glance. However, if the post exceeds three to four sentances, at least throw a period or two in (where they belong confused ) to separate your thoughts.

Theres a big difference between ignorance, stupidity, and simply being too lazy to type out your words.

I for one tend to have enough respect for my thoughts, and those who will be reading them, to type my words out completely, capitalize, use proper punctuation, etc. etc.
Not because I feel that I'm some high-and-mighty grammar nazi, but because I appreciate a well worded and thought out discussion.

As for someone who shows up typing 'sentances' where entire words are replaced by single letters, the occational number shows up, and I see the terms 'LoL', 'WTF', and 'STFU' more than three times in rapid succession generally gives me a pretty good idea on that persons maturity level, and a decent shot at geussing their I.Q.

In short, yes, bad grammar can be used as an insult, if for no other reason than to call a person too lazy to care about how they present their thoughts to the rest of the planet.

Later.
BreakfastClub
lol grammar nazis
as long as i can read it im fine
i can spell correctly but i choose
not too use proper punctuation or grammar
and its starting to become a failed insult
Hey, wait...I'm a grammar Nazi...
Time has slipped through my fingers akin to sand once more. i refuse to allow the polls to be tied, so i ask of everyone to keep this poll alive so that the question may, at last, be answered in a Democratic fashion.

'Til we meet again, next time, in Paradise.
RandomHavoc
When it comes to discussing your opinions about something, spelling out your words, and using correct punctuation is generally viewed as a common courtesy to those people who will be reading what you write.

If you're making a three word reply, then do/type whatever you want, because most people skip over those posts without so much as a glance. However, if the post exceeds three to four sentances, at least throw a period or two in (where they belong confused ) to separate your thoughts.

Theres a big difference between ignorance, stupidity, and simply being too lazy to type out your words.

I for one tend to have enough respect for my thoughts, and those who will be reading them, to type my words out completely, capitalize, use proper punctuation, etc. etc.
Not because I feel that I'm some high-and-mighty grammar nazi, but because I appreciate a well worded and thought out discussion.

As for someone who shows up typing 'sentances' where entire words are replaced by single letters, the occational number shows up, and I see the terms 'LoL', 'WTF', and 'STFU' more than three times in rapid succession generally gives me a pretty good idea on that persons maturity level, and a decent shot at geussing their I.Q.

In short, yes, bad grammar can be used as an insult, if for no other reason than to call a person too lazy to care about how they present their thoughts to the rest of the planet.

Later.

I like you.

There are times where I use one or two of the abbreviations, i.e., "LOL", "WTF," etc. But I agree with the rapid succession problem. People inserting one of those in every other word of a sentence can be annoying.
HeartlessAge
Time has slipped through my fingers akin to sand once more. i refuse to allow the polls to be tied, so i ask of everyone to keep this poll alive so that the question may, at last, be answered in a Democratic fashion.

'Til we meet again, next time, in Paradise.

Let me geuss, you were/are a philosoply or english major, right? sweatdrop

I don't know about you, but its 23 yes (which is where I put my vote) to 27 no. That doesn't look like much of a tie to me.
neutral

Anyway, I see someone has quoted me, just above this, lets find out what they had to say.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff