Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is literacy a valid insult?

Yes 0.45263157894737 45.3% [ 43 ]
No 0.54736842105263 54.7% [ 52 ]
Total Votes:[ 95 ]
1 2 3 4 >

Have you noticed that many users call those who appear "stupid" illiterate? Surely it is not so universal that those who read have greater intelligence than those who don't. Also, it is not sufficient to read but also to understand what is being read. Flaming using literacy is unjust as well as stereotypical. It could also simply be that people cannot come up with their own insults anymore.

Discuss:
Literacy as a valid insult
The disappearing skill of formulating original insults
lol grammar nazis
as long as i can read it im fine
i can spell correctly but i choose
not too use proper punctuation or grammar
and its starting to become a failed insult
the noobs are the worst at..making words and putting them together to make sentences. 3nodding
Well, i've noticed that many use "net-type," but as a convenient way of quickly typing a lot of information. However, should the use of "net-type" be seen as a lack of intelligence?
I may be what you might call a "grammar nazi," but here's the thing: I'm not trying to use someone's illiteracy as an insult, I'm saying that it is more difficult to read, understand, or have patience with a post that is not well-written.
BreakfastClub
lol grammar nazis
as long as i can read it im fine
i can spell correctly but i choose
not too use proper punctuation or grammar
and its starting to become a failed insult
lol breakfastclub thinks it's still cool to have opinions in gd
i just love when people call others illiterates
then they make a mistake in their post rofl
HeartlessAge
Well, i've noticed that many use "net-type," but as a convenient way of quickly typing a lot of information. However, should the use of "net-type" be seen as a lack of intelligence?

It isn't lack of intelligence, but it makes the speaker look lazy.
HeartlessAge

No. And thanks for making this thread. I hate the way people on here equate illiteracy with chatspeak and chatspeak with low intelligence. I mean, I know they use the word in the sense of butchering the English language, but I'd rather that they used another term because illiteracy doesn't necessarily equal stupidity. In real life, illiteracy is more often a result of lack of opportunity.

And I'm sure that in real life, illiterate people are often just as resourceful and intelligent as literate people are.
Literacy can very well be used as an insult. However, the context in which most people use it as an insult is usually invalid.
i talk liek a retard in teh GD on purpose

not becos I cant spell
Saradiel
HeartlessAge

It isn't lack of intelligence, but it makes the speaker look lazy.

Then is lazyness worthy of insult considering how procrastinatory the majority of the world's population is?
Literacy can only be used as an insult if someone is flaming in a third grade manner and you can't understand anything that they wrote.
For example- "u suk U stoopid nooB@^008!!!?"
I belive even you can't spell you sound learn how to use small words

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas