Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is literacy a valid insult?

Yes 0.45263157894737 45.3% [ 43 ]
No 0.54736842105263 54.7% [ 52 ]
Total Votes:[ 95 ]
< 1 2 3 4

RandomHavoc
Arsenic4theLovers
The excessive acronyms aren't what get to me so much as misspelled words, especially if it's intentional. That drives me insane! Exactly what is it that makes people feel as though they should misspell a word just for the hell of it? Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind ententionally make themself look stupid?

Someone, please help me understand this because frankly, I just don't get it.

You mis-spelled 'intentionally' there Arsenic4thelovers. Just an FYI, and returning the kindness shown to me. wink

I wouldn't let it worry you, some people just don't care. That's one of the saddest parts about the whole situation in my opinion.

In any event, good discussion going here, even if the poll isn't going the way I'd hoped.

Lets keep it going if we can.
Irony, isn't it? And to think, people misspelling words is one of my biggest pet peeves. I definately agree with you about how sad it is that people just don't care. That may very well be the reason for the lack of well-educated people in the world, and the desperate need for them as well. I think they kind of go hand-in-hand wink
By the way, RandomHavoc thanks for defending me, that was very nice of you.
Almea
RandomHavoc

Now Almea I do believe that was uncalled for.

For the most part, the posters here have remained calm, civil, and friendly. Could we please keep it that way?

Thanks.

Tone modifies content.

I'm always suprised at how many people assume the worst about a poster's tone when they don't like the content.

A lot of the humor I find online is in netspeak and literacy simply isn't a priority for most young people. When the day-to-day standards of language are so low people can hardly be expected to maintain proper communication in a relaxed and anonymous environment.

True enough, but one obviously unintentional grammatical error is not enough to say someone needs to review basic composition. Arsenic is obviously accomplished enough at writing IMO. Hell I mis-spell words all the time without meaning to. It's human nature to screw up neutral

The fact remains that we have a fairly flame-free intelligent discussion going on in the GD of all places, and I'm tring to preserve that for a little while at least.

In any event, wasn't tring to insult, but I did want to ask for some grace to be shown is all smile

Thanks.
Switchdown
i talk liek a retard in teh GD on purpose

not becos I cant spell
...*My point exactly*

5,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
I find people insult me ebcause im to lazy to use proper grammar, just because im lazy dosen't mean i dont know how to use proper grammar, it means...well...that im lazy.
Emotional Drought
Literacy can only be used as an insult if someone is flaming in a third grade manner and you can't understand anything that they wrote.
For example- "u suk U stoopid nooB@^008!!!?"

Yes, but in any case, you shouldn't insult the person who wrote that...whatever you want to call it. I do, however find amusment in making a sarcastic comment or two about it and making sad little attempts to correct these people.
Arsenic4theLovers
By the way, RandomHavoc thanks for defending me, that was very nice of you.

*grins* Your welcome.

Chivalry is not dead! sweatdrop

Yea, irony tends to rear it's ugly head at the most inopportune moments doesn't it?

Murphy strikes again. stressed

Intelligence is relative in my opinion. It's the ability to apply intelligence that is needed. Not everyone has to be a genius, but they do need to know how to communicate in my opinion. Wisdom goes a long way where intelligence might be lacking.

Not to slight those who are more intelligent, they just have more resources at their disposal is all. A good balance of both wisdom and intelligence is needed if one is to truely be successful.

Thats what I think anyway mrgreen
Ickabod66613
I find people insult me ebcause im to lazy to use proper grammar, just because im lazy dosen't mean i dont know how to use proper grammar, it means...well...that im lazy.

That's a big part of the point we're making, though. Laziness doesn't bode well characteristically...
ickabod66613, one question:

What the hell man?

It's a keyboard, every key can be reached by at least one finger with minimal effort.

Now if you put off mowing the grass, I could see being lazy as a valid excuse. However, playing the lazy card for typing? rolleyes

You, sir, win Havoc's Lazy award for the day. Congraduations. sweatdrop

*sighs heavily*

Edit: frikkin' tags not working >_<
RandomHavoc
ickabod66613, one question:

What the hell man?

It's a keyboard, every key can be reached by at least one finger with minimal effort.

Now if you put off mowing the grass, I could see being lazy as a valid excuse. However, playing the lazy card for typing? rolleyes

You, sir, win Havoc's Lazy award for the day. Congraduations. sweatdrop

*sighs heavily*

Edit: frikkin' tags not working >_<

*congratulations* sorry hehe, had to.

Do you know how many people say that though? How can anyone possibly use laziness as an excuse for not using correct grammar? I agree with you on that haha, it takes very little, if any effort at all (this coming from the same person who would rather sit around in her room all day instead of get up to wash some dishes so she's got something clean to eat off of, ok?), I know no one lazier than he who finds it too hard to type a sentence using proper grammar and spell correctly.

By the way, I love your signature haha, that's just great.
Not to mention, laziness is not exactly a respected characteristic for anyone. It implies that the person in question has a lack of self discipline. Lazy as I admit to being, even I can make myself do something that requires some sort of time and effort. I kind of have to, actually.
Yea, I tend to agree with you Arsenic I know that people claim to be too lazy to type out their thoughts, but that excuse holds about as much water as a slotted spoon.

I can also say I'm a little lazy (especially when it comes to my college work,...damned senioritis is kicking in hard. I can't wait for spring break xd ) but I've never been lazy to the point of shirking off typing out a sentance completely.

Geuss it all boils down to how motivated you are. *shrugs*

In any event, looks like we're still in the minority according to the poll.

Hopefully that'll change as more folks read/post/vote here.

Later. mrgreen
By the way, thanks. I like my siggy too wink

I want to get a t-shirt made with something along those lines on the front and back, but that would require money, which I presently don't have. stressed

Woe for the poor college students of the world. gonk

Oh well. I'm rather surprised more people haven't posted here. I've seen some pretty heated comments made by people about 'grammar nazis' in the past. This topic certainly has the potential to draw said people in.

Geuss we'll have to wait and watch.

Later.
Right, well I think I've stated my opinion and I'm happy with that. I have geometry homework to do...eventually, so I'll be going now bye people!!

Love from
Shroomy (because you're special)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas