Sculpey 0.55357142857143 55.4% [ 31 ]
Premo 0.10714285714286 10.7% [ 6 ]
Premo accents 0.035714285714286 3.6% [ 2 ]
Sculpey bake shop 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 56 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Dapper Gaian

Monochrome Frame
Sorry to suddenly butt in to the conversation!
I've been working with polymer clay for a few years now, but I have a question.
How do you keep your clay from getting those little pieces of dirt and lint and all that? I've tried washing my hands and cleaning my workspace, but it seems whatever I do, I can't avoid getting those pesky little specks in my clay. :T Any advice would be much appreciated!
I don't normally have an issue with specks I think dif clays pick up more then others I use fimo and premo. What kind do you use?
Electric Teal Chinchilla
Monochrome Frame
How do you keep your clay from getting those little pieces of dirt and lint and all that? I've tried washing my hands and cleaning my workspace, but it seems whatever I do, I can't avoid getting those pesky little specks in my clay. :T Any advice would be much appreciated!
I don't normally have an issue with specks I think dif clays pick up more then others I use fimo and premo. What kind do you use?

I usually use fimo and sculpy.

Dapper Gaian

Monochrome Frame
Electric Teal Chinchilla
Monochrome Frame

I usually use fimo and sculpy.
Hmm I guess keep a chunk of scrapclay near by that's white to rub your hands on before touching clay

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I mostly work with Sculpey regular, although once I'm finished with this supply I'm going to start buying Sculpey Firm and Super Sculpey, since they hold details better (I'll have to mix them together either by hand or using a pasta machine, but it will be worth it!)
I've only used pre-colored sculpey a few times to save on painting, but honestly I prefer painting it by hand anyways. The paint covers up those little fuzzies that can get in there (although rubbing alcohol does the same trick) and you get a more consistent color (especially when mixing). That being said, I'm in love with the peacock/turquoise color and can't wait for an excuse to use it. I'd love to get my hands on some monster clay too for practice whee

I sculpt mostly earrings/charms, but I'm starting to branch into actual sculptures (I'm in love with emilysculpts work, I even bought her book. Check her out for some great tips and pieces of art. She's on deviantart). My hardest thing is finding the space and time to work crying

Giver

OMG, I'm planning on buying polymer clay for the first time tomorrow. I want to make little totems liek this http://www.etsy.com/shop/leanimale?ref=l2-shopheader-name

any suggestions on, what paint? and glaze I should use?

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Personally I use Folk Art paint, because it's cheap and does a good job. It also comes a ton of colors, which is great. Although one tip I've been given is to never use any color directly out of the bottle, it'll make your sculptures look cartoony. However if that's the look you're going for, by all means do whatever suits your style. You don't have to buy super expensive paints to make it look good. I think folk art run about $1.20 per unit here.
As for glaze, I use sculpey glaze. Some people find that modge podge works for them, or krylon acrylic spray, but to me they always stay tacky even after they've been left to dry overnight.
My best advice is to just go and explore and find what works best for you smile

Dapper Gaian

mystikdreamer
I mostly work with Sculpey regular, although once I'm finished with this supply I'm going to start buying Sculpey Firm and Super Sculpey, since they hold details better (I'll have to mix them together either by hand or using a pasta machine, but it will be worth it!)
I've only used pre-colored sculpey a few times to save on painting, but honestly I prefer painting it by hand anyways. The paint covers up those little fuzzies that can get in there (although rubbing alcohol does the same trick) and you get a more consistent color (especially when mixing). That being said, I'm in love with the peacock/turquoise color and can't wait for an excuse to use it. I'd love to get my hands on some monster clay too for practice whee

I sculpt mostly earrings/charms, but I'm starting to branch into actual sculptures (I'm in love with emilysculpts work, I even bought her book. Check her out for some great tips and pieces of art. She's on deviantart). My hardest thing is finding the space and time to work crying
Monster clay? I'v never heard of this. I always buy my clay in color so I don't have to paint biggrin never heard of her honestly and same here!

Dapper Gaian

Gay Pleasures
OMG, I'm planning on buying polymer clay for the first time tomorrow. I want to make little totems liek this http://www.etsy.com/shop/leanimale?ref=l2-shopheader-name

any suggestions on, what paint? and glaze I should use?
Sorry for some reason it never tells me someone posted in here sweatdrop but I use sculpey glaze and it works awesome!

Dapper Gaian

mystikdreamer
Personally I use Folk Art paint, because it's cheap and does a good job. It also comes a ton of colors, which is great. Although one tip I've been given is to never use any color directly out of the bottle, it'll make your sculptures look cartoony. However if that's the look you're going for, by all means do whatever suits your style. You don't have to buy super expensive paints to make it look good. I think folk art run about $1.20 per unit here.
As for glaze, I use sculpey glaze. Some people find that modge podge works for them, or krylon acrylic spray, but to me they always stay tacky even after they've been left to dry overnight.
My best advice is to just go and explore and find what works best for you smile
I also use sculpey glaze heart just cause it's cheap and thus far has worked great c:

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Electric Teal Chinchilla
mystikdreamer

Monster clay? I'v never heard of this. I always buy my clay in color so I don't have to paint biggrin never heard of her honestly and same here!

Yeah, I do some some earrings with colored clay but I find that, especially for large projects, the cost would be to high for the materials. Painting is way easier and much, much cheaper.
Emily is an amazing sculptor, here's her website:
http://www.emilysculpts.com/

I reccommend checking her out, and grabbing her book if you're interested. I absolutely adore it.

As for monster clay, it's a type of clay that never sets or hardens, even if you bake it. So it's great for practicing because you can reuse it over and over again. It's also great for making molds.

Dapper Gaian

mystikdreamer
Electric Teal Chinchilla
mystikdreamer

Yeah, I do some some earrings with colored clay but I find that, especially for large projects, the cost would be to high for the materials. Painting is way easier and much, much cheaper.
Emily is an amazing sculptor, here's her website:
http://www.emilysculpts.com/

I reccommend checking her out, and grabbing her book if you're interested. I absolutely adore it.

As for monster clay, it's a type of clay that never sets or hardens, even if you bake it. So it's great for practicing because you can reuse it over and over again. It's also great for making molds.
Think i'll check it out and huh that's neat c:

Vermillion Shapeshifter

I really enjoy making clay charms and what not, but I haven't had time to sit down and make something decent for some time now. Halloween is almost here, so I think I'll be doing some 'ween inspired miniatures and charms, plus I bought some two-part resin and I want to try and do some casting with polymer clay miniatures to make pendants and buttons. We'll see how that turns out.

Dapper Gaian

Blood-Splattered Sundress
I really enjoy making clay charms and what not, but I haven't had time to sit down and make something decent for some time now. Halloween is almost here, so I think I'll be doing some 'ween inspired miniatures and charms, plus I bought some two-part resin and I want to try and do some casting with polymer clay miniatures to make pendants and buttons. We'll see how that turns out.
That sounds awesome right now my fav things to sculpt are octopus lol think I might make something Halloween related as well c:

Tipsy Lover

I used to use premo for colored clays, and regular sculpey for my white clay just because I go through so much of white and it's cheaper. lol
Now I just use cold porcelain because it's the cheapest, air dry hardens, and you can make it at home.

I don't make charms with the clay (seems like a nice hobby though), but I usually make small maquettes with it when I'm home and away from actual clay. I think one of coolest things I've made with polymer is a replica of my house keys. Making the mold itself is the hard part, but once you've made it, free keys! They're only one time uses though. :3

Sweet Genius

I love working with polymer clay! I use Sculpey brand because it's cheapest in my area, and I go through white and black clay so quickly! I've never actually painted anything of mine, but I have some projects in my head that I know would require painting ;u; I'm a bit intimidated by it, because I've never had a very steady hand.

I recently got an Etsy account, and I'm working on making small sculptures and charms to sell! I have a collection of polished stones, seashells, and marbles, and I build small dragons around those! I've made a few for my friends as birthday and Christmas presents, and I think it's time I start selling them!

However, I need to get myself a small toaster oven, because I'm tired of having to clean out my family's oven after baking clay in it. Does anyone know where I can find a small, relatively cheap one? I have quite a few finished pieces sitting on my desk waiting to be baked, but I'm just dreading cleaning the oven, so I've avoided baking them for a while now |D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff