Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Streaker

No, this isn't the start to a bad joke. I'm leafing through the 5th Edition handbook and see that Tiefling's get a +2 bonus to Charisma, despite the fact that they seem to be universally feared and hated by the masses.

Has anybody homebrewed a different attribute bonus? Or, at the very least, does anyone have an excuse for them having a Charisma bonus? I noticed the description before the race gives a little insight to a sort of "fiery" Tiefling that takes a Tyrion Lannister-esque approach to the insults by embracing them, but would that constitute a bonus to speech/looks?

Don't get me wrong: I dig the Cha bonus. I love playing characters who talk and generally enjoy being the face of the party, but how does that work for a race that everyone dislikes or outright mistrusts?
Because Tieflings are the popular kid in school right now.
People think playing one makes them edgey because the are different and moody.
On that Topic, because of this they have become my least favorite race.

Friendly Streaker

Tabasco Jones

It's just a super blatant contradiction that makes no sense to me. I think the concept of the race is cool as I've homebrewed a Half-Succubus race before, but at least that Cha bonus made sense.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea I've always just assumed that Tieflings are supposed to be beautiful, just like many of their demonic ancestors can be, in an otherworldly sense. However their heritage is still very obvious, and so in spite of their comely features Tieflings are generally outcasts in most civilized societies.

Friendly Streaker

Sweet Peppermint Tea
yum_tea I've always just assumed that Tieflings are supposed to be beautiful, just like many of their demonic ancestors can be, in an otherworldly sense. However their heritage is still very obvious, and so in spite of their comely features Tieflings are generally outcasts in most civilized societies.

I guess that makes sense because I've always kind of assumed the same thing, but wouldn't the whole "hated by all" thing negate that?

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Salmon_Samurai
Sweet Peppermint Tea

I guess that makes sense because I've always kind of assumed the same thing, but wouldn't the whole "hated by all" thing negate that?

yum_tea Not really. Beauty might be subjective, but there are certain traits that the majority of people find attractive--symmetry, for example. When enough of these traits are present in a person, you're very likely to find them physically appealing even if some other part of them, such as their heritage, is personally abhorrent to you. And that person can still leverage that attraction to make interacting with you more likely to go favorably for them.

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Salmon_Samurai
Don't get me wrong: I dig the Cha bonus. I love playing characters who talk and generally enjoy being the face of the party, but how does that work for a race that everyone dislikes or outright mistrusts?

The way I think of it is in two ways.

#1) Devils are know for being silver-tongued. Great Oration can capture millions.

#2) Attraction isn't only just terms of beauty when making someone's head turn. Mistrusting someone means that generally you are going to pay attention.

Timid Genius

6,500 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Well from the 5th Edition player's handbook itself....
PHB Pg. 178
"Charisma measures your ability to interact effectively with others. It includes such factors as confidence and eloquence, and it can represent a charming or commanding personality."

So from that definition, I'd say the whole "silver tongued devil" thing and the fact they are supposed to be loner's who grew up by themselves kinda motif(So they know what to say to get past guards and how to use the devil heritage to scare people into giving them what they want), the charisma mod is appropriate. I mean, deception, persuasion, and intimidation all seem to scream they should be in every tieflings bag of tricks, don't it?

Also they seem to be built for Warlocks, which most important stat is charisma.

Fuzzy Kitten

9,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
Kite Katolia
Well from the 5th Edition player's handbook itself....
PHB Pg. 178
"Charisma measures your ability to interact effectively with others. It includes such factors as confidence and eloquence, and it can represent a charming or commanding personality."

So from that definition, I'd say the whole "silver tongued devil" thing and the fact they are supposed to be loner's who grew up by themselves kinda motif(So they know what to say to get past guards and how to use the devil heritage to scare people into giving them what they want), the charisma mod is appropriate. I mean, deception, persuasion, and intimidation all seem to scream they should be in every tieflings bag of tricks, don't it?

Also they seem to be built for Warlocks, which most important stat is charisma.

that's what I was thinking. The whole demonic-ish lineage gives them an edge, where they may be able to persuade others where they might normally not be thought of having an advantege.

I've seen a lot of tieflings go rogue as well, but a bard with a pied-piper theme works really well into their characteristics.

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
They're partially demonic. Demons are known to charm, either through looks or through words. Hence the charisma bonus.

Tabasco Jones
I like 'em 'cause they hit all my fetishes.

That isn't edgy, right?

Friendly Streaker

Penn Almasy
They're partially demonic. Demons are known to charm, either through looks or through words. Hence the charisma bonus.

Tabasco Jones
I like 'em 'cause they hit all my fetishes.

That isn't edgy, right?

Oh dear. Hahahahaha

Interesting Detective

11,175 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
It is pretty stupid, come to think of it. I don't know about 4.0, but in Dnd 3.5 and Pathfinder, Tieflings got +2 Dex +2 Int -2 Cha, which made alot of sense. They're dexterous and calculating, but all tieflings are born with devilish qualities that are frightful and drowned upon. So yeah, a +2 Cha boost is silly. Then again, 4 and 5 both sound sort of silly to me. I'll stick with my 3.5 and Pathfinder Tieflings, thank you very much!

Timid Genius

6,500 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
xXThe LawmanXx
It is pretty stupid, come to think of it. I don't know about 4.0, but in Dnd 3.5 and Pathfinder, Tieflings got +2 Dex +2 Int -2 Cha, which made alot of sense. They're dexterous and calculating, but all tieflings are born with devilish qualities that are frightful and drowned upon. So yeah, a +2 Cha boost is silly. Then again, 4 and 5 both sound sort of silly to me. I'll stick with my 3.5 and Pathfinder Tieflings, thank you very much!

It does make sense in that rule set because they are viewed as rare and monstrous, even though they are played even more than Half-Orcs, plus Aasimars are the counter parts, and they get a +2 Cha, so it'd stand to reason Tieflings would get -2 Cha.
In 4th & 5th they are common place even in the settings now. In 3.5 I always felt like they were as rare a good drow (well supposed to be), so they have folklore about them eating babies and s**t(or at least treated as such). In 4th/5th they are pretty common, not as much as the 'main races' but about as much as Dragonborn as the very least, so people don't trust them because of course they know the lineage, but they probably know one or two that do good work and don't cause trouble so when one comes up to them and sweet talks them to get through, or say the stick is magical, they might believe them.

Also something to note, as far as I remember no race in the player's handbook for 5th edition has a negative to any stat, just +2 to one stat and +1 to another. You could easily say they should have their +2 moved to dex if you wish though (they get +1 Int so it'd model your view as well as possible).

Also, everyone loves bad boys/girls, and they are meant to the "exotic" fantasy bad boys/girls.
If I had to guess, it'd be the same reason 3.5 Sorcerors got Bluff as a class skill; in order to better hide the truth of what they are, they become skilled at deception and convincing people that what they are sure is the case... is actually something else.

BIazer's Spouse

Magical Hero

8,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hero 100
Salmon_Samurai
No, this isn't the start to a bad joke. I'm leafing through the 5th Edition handbook and see that Tiefling's get a +2 bonus to Charisma, despite the fact that they seem to be universally feared and hated by the masses.

Has anybody homebrewed a different attribute bonus? Or, at the very least, does anyone have an excuse for them having a Charisma bonus? I noticed the description before the race gives a little insight to a sort of "fiery" Tiefling that takes a Tyrion Lannister-esque approach to the insults by embracing them, but would that constitute a bonus to speech/looks?

Because a Tiefling has demonic blood, and demons are notorious for convincing mortals into things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff