Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shapeshifter

16,950 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
When someone wants to be another gender, it's a completely physical kind of change. Who they are on the inside is the same, but they don't feel whole in their body. The physical change will help complete a transgender person, and make people see them the way they want to be seen.

When someone wants to be another 'race', more commonly on these sort of sites, Japanese, suddenly they're 'weeaboos'. I've seen stories about people who want to be German, Russian, Indian (India), Native, African, Palestinian, etc.

When a man dresses as a woman, and acts 'feminine', we don't generally jump to criticism (though obviously, there are still a lot of people who do).

If someone takes photos with peace signs, cosplays and learns Japanese, writes in Japanese and so on, wishes they looked more Japanese, loves Japanese music etc. It's a weeaboo. They get called stupid, childish, annoying etc.

When someone wants to have black skin, they get called all sorts of racist terms.

I've known someone who wants to look and be more Native. They study the culture and want to be apart of it.

If someone is not comfortable in their skin/culture, why is it more acceptable for people to not want to be the gender they were born into, than to look like a different race/be part of another culture?

I used to be the person making fun of other people who wanted to be another race (when I was in high school), but as I got older, I've realized that there is nothing wrong appreciated another culture and wanting to be apart of it. We were born into the culture we didn't choose, and someone can be born into a gender they didn't choose. There is beauty in accepting what was given to you and making the best of it, but there is beauty in dreaming for other things too.

I know someone who lives in Japan, and has for 6 years now. She came from the US. We were in high school together and she was always called an weeaboo and was made fun of a lot. Now she is very fluent in Japanese, she is a citizen, she is married to a Japanese man, she has a job, she loves the clothing and culture, and especially the holidays. She has a lot of Japanese friends who accept her. . .how is it okay to call her a weeaboo?

Invisible Player

I think many people can distinguish between those that truly love a culture and those that superficially love a culture. Those people with peace signs, sparrow mouth, and Hello Kitty are often times only into the superficial aspects of a culture. They would be the weeanoos, though i dis like derogatory name calling. It isn't nice.

Have you seen the SNL skit "JPop American Funtime Now"? The Japanese professor frequently injects to correct the Japanese enenthusiasts because they actually know very little about the culture. Unfortunately it is those types of people who put a blemish on the other type.

Invisible Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Timid 100
Pink Elephant apologizes for Pink Elephants post. Pink Elephant has been a bad elephant =(

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

Quite simply, it's cultural appropriation.

You might feel it's all a bit of innocent fun, or even so-called 'anthropological study', but to quote raggedy grrl, it's problematic.

I won't even go into the power dynamic here. People should learn to love and accept their own culture. We can best show respect to other cultures by avoiding all interaction with them not by fetishizing and exotifying them.

This goes beyond racial boundaries. Class, too, is a consideration. People must learn to embrace their social class. It's insulting and degrading to see a wealthy person acting as if they're a product of urban poverty, or to see people in the lower strata of society adopt the mannerisms and aspirations of other classes.

Likewise for adopting subcultures. Gay culture, for example, has been formed by decades of isolation and oppression. It's not something to be to adopted by lipstick lesbians, college kids who are "questioning" and "experimenting", or the self-proclaimed 'f** hags'.

The same is absolutely true for gender-based culture. There's nothing enlightened about a heterosexual man pretending to "understand" women, for example. It's just patronizing condescension.

As a culture and as individuals, we need to get the ******** over this immature and toxic "grass is greener" attitude. There is nothing inherently interesting or different about other cultures. They are not your playthings or toys.

We need to accept who we are because we can be nothing else.

Let me say this one more time, because clearly some people still don't get it: Other cultures are not to be taken on and off like they were clothes.

This is how it is: do not learn another language, learn your own language. Don't imitate the dress, art, music, literature, speech patterns, dress, or mannerisms of other cultures. Listening to rap doesn't bring you closer to being black, watching Korean dramas won't make you Asian. You'll never have more than an embarrassingly half-assed understanding of another culture.

Protip: Assimilation is a lie.

You cannot change who you are. You'll never truly understand or belong to that other culture, and it's offensive beyond words to even try. It is theft, it is psychological assault, it is a morally repugnant meta-extension of post-colonial attitudes, social slavery.

In a sense, you are no different from the "Buffalo Bill" character in The Silence of the Lambs, the man who brutally murders females and uses leather made from their skin to make a "woman suit".

Got it? By seeking to become what you admire, YOU DESTROY IT!!!!.

We have learned zoos are shitty means of "protecting animals." That's because plucking a lion off of the savannah and dumping it into a cage preserves only our impression of what a lion should be. No matter how large the enclosure, no matter how carefully we recreate the environment, a cage is still a cage. The nature of the animal changes and is diminished. We not longer have a lion, we have a hollow shell.

The only real means of preserving lions, or any animal or plant, is to leave it alone. Even watching it changes its behavior.

This is exactly how culture works!!

One more time: you show respect to other cultures by sticking to your own culture. You'll find there's plenty there to amuse you.

It's something most normal people learn in nursery school: if it doesn't belong to you, keep your ******** hands off.

Aged Girl

I'm sooooooo lost right now.
sweatdrop

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image I don't get how the two are supposed to relate to each other

Sparkly Waffles

The power dynamics make it so that sometimes someone trying to be trans-race can be accidentally racist or disrespectful to the culture they wish to adopt by fetishizing it and what not. Especially if it is someone of a culture with more power going into a culture of less. There is a history of racism and ignorance, of which the other culture can only enter into the powerful culture via fetishization. (Fetishization is inherently racist.) I hope we can do a little better.

And then of course people go in respectfully and like it too. But it's just that they have to be careful. I'd say that bottle of war has a point, but my personal take, is that the people who fetishize a new culture taking it to the extreme can wind up being the person who actually respects the culture in the end. I'm not saying its not problematic, but in this society, it can be the gateway to things.

So, do learn other languages, enjoy parts of other cultures, but don't fetishize them. Be respectful at all times. Getting excited because "it's Japanese" versus whichever.

a bottle of war

I will have to disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with liking products of a different culture, enjoying Amelie, Yann Tiersen's music, Nightwish or Naruto. There's nothing wrong with enjoying Korean Dramas, and wanting to learn a new language. I think it is actually problematic to avoid other cultures completely because that just lends to more ignorance and less understanding.

But I agree, cultures are not playthings or toys. Ignorant worship is systemic racism. For example, "ooh, kung fu movies are so cool" --> *sees chinese person* *assumes they know Kung Fu automatically, and that every chinese person is the same* - that is racist. Generalizing people ain't cool.

I would also argue that people who go to live in a different country and take on that culture get less s**t than trans-gender folks. There is plenty of precedent for that, and at a certain point, living there long enough, the identity is accepted (even if not by everyone) as they are a Whatever-Whatever. It's definitely more awkward though depending on the country, the melanin content of the population and the melanin content of the person switching cultures. I mean, if someone from a different country moved to New York and has been living there for over ten years, I'd consider part of their identity as a New Yorker, and they would have taken on some New York culture, too.

Quote:
Class, too, is a consideration. People must learn to embrace their social class. It's insulting and degrading to see a wealthy person acting as if they're a product of urban poverty, or to see people in the lower strata of society adopt the mannerisms and aspirations of other classes.

This is spot on, however, and needs to considered. Even if it makes you uncomfortable, it's a fact. There are power dynamics between cultures and classes.

Becoming something else is not going to happen, but adopting something else as a part of your identity is possible. But it is important to recognize that there is a power dynamic, to respect others and NOT to generalize.

Sparkly Waffles

a bottle of war

You got a lot of good points, but I do have to disagree with your stance of avoiding other cultures. I see the cultural exchange as a good thing. You're right that the Mighty Whitey/Rich person pretends to be poor is super insulting and a lot of your points are spot on.

But a lot of really great stuff comes from cultural exchange and sometimes that starts from the naive interest in culture. The whatever-ism still ain't cool. But if we didn't exchange at all, everyone would just be more ignorant of each other's culture and generalize the s**t out everything.

Maybe it's cause I live in a pretty multi-cultural city. I enjoy being able to enjoy foods of different cultures besides my dual-own. I don't think there is a problem as long as there is respect for every person as a fellow human being. Being isolationist is not a solution.

Of course, that is different from pretending to be Japanese or trying to adopt ghetto language and rap culture to sound cool when you're a middle class rich white kid.

Enduring Champion

15,015 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
  • Marathon 300
To sum it all up, there is a biological reason as to why people feel like they were born the wrong sex. They don't decide to change just for fun.

Trash Garbage

Y'all need to get off tumblr and go outside.
      Srsly.

Magical Tree

I wish I could remember the name of it... but I read a short story written in the 60's or 70's (it was a school assignment) about a white guy that took special medicine to make his skin darker. He wanted to see what it was like being black for a while, then he wrote this story of his experience being black. (his conclusion was that racism is real... kind of a no brainer). A lot of people gave the guy crap for changing his skin color. I think that that kind of thing still goes on today.

I've actually told people I wanted to have darker skin and that I like darker skin - and I got called racist. Excuse me, but I am not sure when liking something became a negative thing. I like what I like.

When I was working in Korea, my co-teacher told me that she thought that if previous lives were real, that she thinks I was Korean in my past life.
I don't think I was/am... but having studied language and culture for a long long time it's nice to know I assimilate okay.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff