Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Shapeshifter

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
So it's been a really REALLY long time since I've checked Gaia
and for shits and giggles I was poking around.
I played two levels of that Switchem game and was given 100,000 gold.

What is going on with the value of gold?

Perfect Saint

Click the images for an explanation.

User Image

User Image

General What have I missed thread: a guide to catching up with Gaia

Inflation and What You Missed with Spoons

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
Myrielle

it even had pictures. thank you heart
i kinda saw something like this coming with the advent of Gaia Cash,
but I wasn't expecting it to explode like that.
personally I haven't put $1 of actual money into this site,
and i still ended up with kinda nice stuff.

Citizen

Gold has gone by the wayside. Our new currency is hatred, which you can find all over the GCD. Everybody is cashing in.

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
Usadari
Gold has gone by the wayside. Our new currency is hatred, which you can find all over the GCD. Everybody is cashing in.

how sad :c

Perfect Saint

Toxically Euphoric
Myrielle

To be fair, it took 6 years and a different CEO for this to happen. As for Gaia using GC or earning, well it simply has to so it can continue to exist. It's a business with overheads and salaries like any other. What disappeared during all this time are the major sponsors and, perhaps, venture capitalists funneling millions into the site. Now the staff is smaller and funding is majorly on the backs of users and they have been engaging in certain practices that encourage people to buy with real money than with virtual gold because the latter is not legal tender. Bad or good, it is what it is.

Demonic Warlock

44,375 Points
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Usadari
Our new currency is hatred

This is the most beautiful quote.

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
Myrielle
Toxically Euphoric
Myrielle

To be fair, it took 6 years and a different CEO for this to happen. As for Gaia using GC or earning, well it simply has to so it can continue to exist. It's a business with overheads and salaries like any other. What disappeared during all this time are the major sponsors and, perhaps, venture capitalists funneling millions into the site. Now the staff is smaller and funding is majorly on the backs of users and they have been engaging in certain practices that encourage people to buy with real money than with virtual gold because the latter is not legal tender. Bad or good, it is what it is.

fair enough.
you're right, they need to make their money some how.
It was more shocking than anything to see items from my old wish list with so many digits.

Anxious Citizen

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Oh man, I've been boggled since I returned. I was like 'Wow! 30 million, from a pink floaty present', then I learned everything is inflated, as having million is pocket change. I figured everything is inflated when the daily loot rewards gives you like 500k. :< I remember in 08' it was hard to get a lot of gold, like you have to keep posting and posting to get gold, or constantly play games -- like jigsaw on insane mode.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Cleverbuttons
Oh man, I've been boggled since I returned. I was like 'Wow! 30 million, from a pink floaty present', then I learned everything is inflated, as having million is pocket change. I figured everything is inflated when the daily loot rewards gives you like 500k. :< I remember in 08' it was hard to get a lot of gold, like you have to keep posting and posting to get gold, or constantly play games -- like jigsaw on insane mode.

Ha ha! I was boggled when I saw a tip is now 10,000 gold. eek I mean, sure, that's not bad for someone who's rolling in it, but I have never, ever, ever (including now) had 1 mil in my account. I thought I was rolling in it when I hit 900K a couple years ago, and then BAM! Inflation like crazy, and suddenly I'm a broke-a** again. rofl

Eventually, I hope to have enough free time to start an art shop again - I poked around a bit the other night and saw that head-shots and bribes are kind of starting around 15 mil ( eek ) and there's no way I'd charge that much, so I might be able to get some gold built up again that way. I'm in the process of moving and finishing up some real-life commissions right now, or I'd have jumped in the second I saw prices for art. xd

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Toxically Euphoric
Myrielle

They were selling halos too.

Unleashed Supporter

Hurricane Islandheart

Ha ha! I was boggled when I saw a tip is now 10,000 gold. eek I mean, sure, that's not bad for someone who's rolling in it, but I have never, ever, ever (including now) had 1 mil in my account. I thought I was rolling in it when I hit 900K a couple years ago, and then BAM! Inflation like crazy, and suddenly I'm a broke-a** again. rofl

Eventually, I hope to have enough free time to start an art shop again - I poked around a bit the other night and saw that head-shots and bribes are kind of starting around 15 mil ( eek ) and there's no way I'd charge that much, so I might be able to get some gold built up again that way. I'm in the process of moving and finishing up some real-life commissions right now, or I'd have jumped in the second I saw prices for art. xd

Do you seriously have under 1 mill gold?
Really sad that the site has started going down the drain. I can understand they need to make money, but they should never have put in gold generator items. That basically made the site "P2W" because unless you dump loads of money into the site you basically can't get anything now. They should have just stuck to the cash shop being items only.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
ZypressQ
Hurricane Islandheart

Do you seriously have under 1 mill gold?

Not anymore. I sold some cheap (?) crap a few mins ago I found sitting around in my Inventory that I never use. Now I have 1.4 mil. rofl

Unleashed Supporter

Hurricane Islandheart

Not anymore. I sold some cheap (?) crap a few mins ago I found sitting around in my Inventory that I never use. Now I have 1.4 mil. rofl

Uuuuuh.... *throws stuff at you* here... Have... Stuff! Im sure i have doubles of stuff..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff