Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Mage

10,150 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
What do you guys think of Penny Dreadful? Yay or nay? I have yet to watch the first epi. and well. I'm streaming it at this moment. haha, so i may spoil it for myself.

It claims to be a psychological thriller, in which case I adore. But anyways, when i was watching the commercials on show time. I noted that they were using literature novel characters: Dorian Gray, Drac., and Victor Frankenstein. I really liked those books, personally so I'm expecting either i'll be greatly satisfied or disappointed after i finish the series.

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Fatal Delicacy
What do you guys think of Penny Dreadful? Yay or nay? I have yet to watch the first epi. and well. I'm streaming it at this moment. haha, so i may spoil it for myself.

It claims to be a psychological thriller, in which case I adore. But anyways, when i was watching the commercials on show time. I noted that they were using literature novel characters: Dorian Gray, Drac., and Victor Frankenstein. I really liked those books, personally so I'm expecting either i'll be greatly satisfied or disappointed after i finish the series.

Watched the pilot. There are no words for how much I want this show to succeed. It perfectly captures the "feel" of an actual penny dreadful (a cheap, sensational novel published in the late 19th century. Often contains spies, adventures abroad, and occasionally the supernatural). It's like League of Extraordinary gentlemen with all those references. emotion_dowant
Imrae Myett
Fatal Delicacy

Watched the pilot. There are no words for how much I want this show to succeed. It perfectly captures the "feel" of an actual penny dreadful (a cheap, sensational novel published in the late 19th century. Often contains spies, adventures abroad, and occasionally the supernatural). It's like League of Extraordinary gentlemen with all those references. emotion_dowant

Not quite. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was more like an Avengers-style team-up thing with fantastic characters, and the comics take it way beyond the Victorian era. This show is more like an old fashioned monster mash; one which has a more literary mindset than the Universal monster mashes from the 40 that preceded it. Or Monster Squad.

Hot Detective

9,325 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Trader 100
Just watched the second episode. It's been a long time since a show has made me say "holy s**t" that many times.

Alien Invader

I am an instant fan. I went in with no expectations and came out of the first episode with a dropped jaw and some tears in my eyes. LOL I just finished the second episode today and had a very similar experience. Equally as satisfying in many ways, if not delivering even more punch. (Let's just say Eva Green deserves a nod from somebody.)

I am in the process of getting everyone I know into the show. lol I think if you have a love or appreciation for the characters you will enjoy what they're doing with them.

Hesitant Hellraiser

8,500 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Tycoon 200
Fatal Delicacy

I wish I had Showtime so I could see it! sad

Shy Mage

10,150 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
dispiritings-
Fatal Delicacy

I wish I had Showtime so I could see it! sad

They were streaming the first episode on Monday on showtime's website D;

Magical Explorer

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Brandisher 100
as a fan of gothic horror... I'm not sure how much of a fan of this show I am still. It seems kinda stilted the only part I'm truly invested in is Frankenstein's plot stream.

Vicious Kitten

I just found out about these series, I wanted to watch it as soon as I saw Eva Green in the main cast. I have to say that it's one of the most amazing series I've ever seen, every episode is so dark, catching and well done, it's like watching a movie in every episode. I've always liked the stories of Dracula, Frankenstein and Dorian gray, it's really enjoyable to find them all together in a tv series like this. Definitely one of my current favorites of all times whee
I totally watched ep. 1 after reading this.

Holy cow.

Invisible Sleuth

omg! so you guys are not ready yet to see the last episode tonight! i'm in love with this show and i can wait till i watch the last ep! the only thing is: the first season has few episodes than the original 10 episodes i was used to and i wish they had 10 episodes at least!

anyone of you are at this point of the show? episodes 6 or 7 to discuss with me?

Ruthless Dabbler

I didn't like the last episode that much but I can't wait for Season 2. :3
I loved the first season. I hope the next season has a better pace to it and lets things flow a bit more naturally but overall it was great.

I also hope that Dracula finally makes an appearance. I waited all season for him to show up and he never did. gonk

Invisible Sleuth

i can't wait for season 2! omg!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas