Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you be interested in getting ‘Gaia Married’ to your special someone?

Yes, I would use this feature! 0.44460512573311 44.5% [ 5534 ]
Maybe, if I found that special someone! 0.30625853619346 30.6% [ 3812 ]
No thank you! 0.14790712621515 14.8% [ 1841 ]
I just want some gold! 0.10122921185828 10.1% [ 1260 ]
Total Votes:[ 12447 ]

Unbeatable Lunatic

8,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
Princess Angelishia
Hi Gaians!

We here at the office were wondering what input you might have about a feature that’s been kicked around for a while now: weddings!

Our current idea for the feature is that your avatar would be able to marry any other avatar on the website! We would be offering a few celebration spaces for your special day and some new wedding items to wear. Once married, you would have the option of displaying to everyone in the forums that you and your partner tied the knot via text underneath your avatar and/or through a wedding picture of your avatars in your signature!
What are your thoughts?

Discussion:
-Would you consider using the feature? Why or why not?
-What kind of wedding items would you want to see?
-How would you like to display to the world that you and your significant other are Gaia Married?

Thank you for your input!
heart Princess Angelishia

Edit: A few clarifications!

It might be quite hilarious to see some of the pairings.
Also, it's been far too long, Angel. ^___^

Versatile Gaian

8,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Marathon 300
Yes hands down.
I think it would be fun to do. Me and my current gf met over gaia, and we were talkin' about this. It's a fun feature! I wouldn't take it too seriously, simply because its gaia. But if I could display it under my user in forums- I'm down.

I do see that you do animated items in Towns 2, perhaps think of a little, (or optional) animation that goes off when the couple comes close to one another? I think I've seen a similar feature on other games, I personally think it's annoying. But I'm thinkin' about the other people in this forum! Somethin' to chew on~

Beloved Millionaire

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Profitable 100
My boyfriend just signed up for Gaia so I'm excited ^^

Feral Loiterer

11,925 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
I'm not in love with the idea, but then again maybe that's because I've been married IRL for almost 7 years.
I guess for people who really want to show it off/ pretend it's fine. And people who are serious RPGers would love it. I'm just not sure if a forum based site like Gaia is really suited for it.
Questions to think about.
How much Gaia cash or gold would be charged to get married?
Can I get a divorce for any reason?
What are the benefits to being married on Gaia?
Can anyone buy marriage items or just people planning to get married?
Will this feature work in Towns, ZOMG, etc?

Versatile Hunter

5,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
It does sound like something I can get into, but I dunno if I could follow it, because I feel like a lone wolf... plus I feel invisible most the time anyways...

Not to mention, you have playboys / playgirls who are trying to bag as many lovers as possible. Could be a bad thing...

Fatcat

14,825 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Flatterer 200
To be honest, I feel like a feature like this is LONG overdue in a community that is based off chat/avatar based interaction. I would love to see something as amusing as this implemented finally into the site, it would not only encourage the site to be filled with not only more users but, quite a bit of mature (teens-young adults) into the site.

Some of the things I think would be wise to consider adding is maybe:

1. Classified (tier-types that vary in cost from lower tiers being cheaper to higher being more expensive) wedding rings with effects that are visible in town maybe like a little flashing sign above their heads when they are in the same room.

2. Customized pendants or accessories of choice (not just rings) that come from the current selection of items that are exchanged during the wedding as a symbol of their love/devotion to one another (For example if one user wanted to give inari's beads as their wedding ring instead of the ones you might put out they could substitute that for it.)

3. Instant updates to what your spouse is doing when he/she is online (kind of like a Facebook feature where there's a pop-up on the bottom corner) so that there is easier access to finding them online (yea, I could see this being kind of weird and stalkerish but, they committed to the vows during the wedding so true married couples wouldn't mind they got stalked by them razz )

4. Chapel items for your house and maybe some things for like the guy who gets the couple married? I don't know there's not too many items I can think of that doesn't really exist already lol

This is just some of my feedback on the idea, I'll look forward to what you guys put together c:

Wheezing Phantom

17,900 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Sounds interesting. smile

Timid Fatcat

6,750 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
I personally would love the idea. My boyfriend and I met over the computer, and always look for games that have the marriage feature.

My questions are:
1. Would there be same sex marriage?
2. How much would it be? Gaia Cash only or with gold?
3. If you wanted to divorce, would it cost an arm and a leg?
4. Would you be able to have a house with your significant other?
5. Could there be a feature to have your spouse next to your avatar? Hugging, kissing, hand in hand, etc?

Hopefully these questions can spark some more ideas and contribute to the thread. ^^
I'm definitely head over heels about this idea!!!!! only I would say you might want to offer a divorce option too lol Some people don't last forever! but I support it and think its an awesome idea!!! I think it'll bring in new gaians and more gold!!!!

Bashful Trader

4,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Dunzee
just make a relationship status thing that you can update with usernames! biggrin

I think thats a great idea biggrin
*****As far as the whole how much would it cost thing goes I don't think it should be a big amount for gaians to pay. It is an optional feature it shouldn't be used as part of the gaia cash shop. The things in there are cool but I never shop there cause its too expensive and takes forever to save up for and then you have to do all these weird life probing questions O.o' definitely a turnoff to the site. All in all I'd say make it affordable that gaians can enjoy the feature and it'll bring in more customers otherwise you'd have this real cool feature everyone wants to do but wont take p[art in so it becomes a pretty useless or so to speak meaningless feature and an empty server. Same for divorce, it's only fair. People should love the feature in order for profit to come from it. On the other hand if gaians want to be extravagant well then there could be different wedding packages
- the basic wedding - nice, photobook, small party
- the exceptional wedding - classy, bigger party, photobook, live entertainment lol
- the ritz wedding - Big huge party, photobook, I'm talking the whole shabang!! all glamour

*****Gaians should be allowed to live together once married. Definitely give them the full package - all the experiences of marriage. It shouldn't matter the sex. Gaia should be free of any and all discrimination - we're spreading love not hate - and in the end we are all paying customers lol

******now I'm gonna say it because I know I won't be the only one thinking it: BABIES!!!
will gaians be allowed to make their own children????? this could turn into the sims smile heart heart OR you could make it like the aquarium just instead of a fish tank a house or a cradle and you would have your own children you would feed them clothe them bathe them etc. and you and your spouse will be there to have a family -> you could have as many as you want but you must!! TAKE CARE OF THEM! and their would be an added gold fee to do this as well. I'd ove to make babies biggrin (by the way if this idea actually works out I would like some kinda finders fee 3nodding so I could use it for the babies I want) heart
As many posted previously. What if you lose interest in your partner. Or the other gets ridiculously jealous and wants a divorce? How would you solve this problem. I guess you could make it like real life an if you want a divorce you have to pay a fee : D Not an expensive amount but high enough to make people think about divorcing on here : >

Eloquent Prophet

13,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Layogenic
Medeus
Layogenic
Medeus
So long as it's made VERY clear that these marriages are NOT legally binding in any functional capacity outside of the website itself, then I don't really care what people do on the internet.
If it starts getting taken too seriously, I would boot it. But as long as it's just a fun, forum-friendly, frivolous internet activity OR an endearing way to display an IRL married relationship, than I don't think it can cause too much harm.

Honey you know that's like asking a cat not to scratch..

lol I dabble in impossible requests.
No but srsly, i think it should be stated somewhere that these internet marriages don't actually qualify as legally binding agreements. It might seem dumb, but the last thing anybody wants is for some kids to get crazy in real life because they "got married" on a forum....I've seen it happen before, it aint pretty.

That's precisely what I mean. I see people saying that teenagers have been "begging" for this feature. This is going to have negative repercussions... it's almost guaranteed. We have people already bringing religion into it (I have seen questions about the Muslim tradition of polygamy, specifically mentioning it), LGBTQ terms like genderqueer and worries about same-sex marriage and religious stuff are already present... What may have started as a system for some playful romance, calling it marriage has opened the floodgates of political-correctness and those who have been wrongfully denied their civil rights (from homosexuals to polygamists) to voice their concerns regarding actual, legally binding marriage. And that's not even touching the impact 'marriage' will have on young teen couples.

Like I said, you're asking a cat not to scratch, or a dog not to wag its tail.

Oh I see...Well, my concern is less for the people using it than it is for Gaia's liability in whatever goes down. People are gonna be crazy no matter what, but if the Site takes every step they can to prevent their own involvement in that craziness, I imagine they'd want to do that....wouldn't they?

Kindly Conversationalist

Medeus

Oh I see...Well, my concern is less for the people using it than it is for Gaia's liability in whatever goes down. People are gonna be crazy no matter what, but if the Site takes every step they can to prevent their own involvement in that craziness, I imagine they'd want to do that....wouldn't they?

Yeah, see, when I see a preventable problem (the prevention being not having the system in place or encouraging marriage among minors), my first thought is not "well how can the company avoid taking responsibility?". It's usually the opposite.

But hey, call me crazy for thinking a solution to a possible problem is to not cause the problem, rather than to deny any and all liability for user's actions. How silly~

Eloquent Prophet

13,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Layogenic
Medeus

Yeah, see, when I see a preventable problem (the prevention being not having the system in place or encouraging marriage among minors), my first thought is not "well how can the company avoid taking responsibility?". It's usually the opposite.

But hey, call me crazy for thinking a solution to a possible problem is to not cause the problem, rather than to deny any and all liability for user's actions. How silly~

xD Well put.
Regardless of wether or not they SHOULD implement the system, it appears that they Will. Like I said before, as long as they don't take it too seriously (the company), it'll be fine. I don't think it's the greatest idea, but if they're gonna do it, they should do it smart.
....[/badgrammar]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces