Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

emotion_awesome

Cat

Navean
Eserel
also theres some items i didnt get before i left and i still want those and ugh i want to ******** school and just d**k around on the internet

This is me, except change school to "life" because instead of doing chores or writing or painting like I should be doing, all I want is to drive to the free wifi at the library and play around on Gaia cat_rofl
I like this avatar

Aekea Scarface

Random question, but...

If I were to say something like, "People who live in France speak French. Therefore, people who live in France don't speak English," would that be a logical fallacy? What specific fallacy would it be?

I had a class where the {guest} teacher brought up a similarly structured argument. While I understand his point, I think the way he argued it was faulty. In short, he was discussing the problems/difficulties with proclaiming that there is a "Standard English" and that all other forms should be left at home. He argued that if you say Standard English is spoken by intelligent people {due to SE being the predominant English taught and spoken in the school-system}, then you must be saying that non-Standard English {or as he said, "substandard"} is spoken by unintelligent people.

I just think the argument itself is flawed. Am I crazy?

In a relationship with t3h marth

Versatile Shapeshifter

Navean
Eserel
also theres some items i didnt get before i left and i still want those and ugh i want to ******** school and just d**k around on the internet

This is me, except change school to "life" because instead of doing chores or writing or painting like I should be doing, all I want is to drive to the free wifi at the library and play around on Gaia cat_rofl
<____> ughhh im at school like all day and then doing hw like forever and on top of that i joined research so im just so busy and this quarter is a total mess
im hoping next quarter will give me more free time because i'm taking less classes then

Hallowed Shade

0-DCB
Random question, but...

If I were to say something like, "People who live in France speak French. Therefore, people who live in France don't speak English," would that be a logical fallacy? What specific fallacy would it be?

I had a class where the {guest} teacher brought up a similarly structured argument. While I understand his point, I think the way he argued it was faulty. In short, he was discussing the problems/difficulties with proclaiming that there is a "Standard English" and that all other forms should be left at home. He argued that if you say Standard English is spoken by intelligent people {due to SE being the predominant English taught and spoken in the school-system}, then you must be saying that non-Standard English {or as he said, "substandard"} is spoken by unintelligent people.

I just think the argument itself is flawed. Am I crazy?

While I can't tell you the name of the fallacy, I know it is one. Because a person can know multiple languages. Having a native language that is spoken more often doesn't mean someone doesn't know or speak more. Like, we're not limited to just knowing or speaking on language unless we want to be. While it may be a true statement for some people (those who choose not to learn another language, or who learn languages other than English) it cannot be applied to all. There's also the fact that some people living in France may have emigrated from somewhere that does speak English and English is even their first language (though they may - or may not! - speak French because, you know, it's easier to do things when you speak the language you're surrounded by). You might want to look into fallacies that are excluding in nature, or fallacies which make too many jumping assumption. Like, if A isn't B and B isn't C, then A isn't C. Which is basically a twist on the if A is B and B is C then A is C fallacy. It's a kind of deductive fallacy. Furthermore, it's also a fallacy to claim that anyone who supports SE as being intelligent is automatically calling non-SE unintelligent. This one I do know the name of: Straw Man. It's where you oversimplify a person's argument and then attack it because now you've made it hollow. Like saying any person who doesn't support the increase of minimum wage must hate the poor. Which is clearly ridiculous and impossible to assume, because there could be all sorts of complex, complicated reasons why a person might prefer one over the other. A full, real, and non-fallacious argument will address the opposing argument point by point to refute it with logic rather than try to turn it into a single, non-complex, and often horribly-motivated statement.

Oh gods, it's like I'm talking about everything wrong with the way politicians give speeches or answer questions cat_gonk

Wikipedia's list of fallacies
Master list of logical fallacies

Aekea Scarface

@Nav; Thanks!

I tried to bring up in class why I thought his argument was faulty. Then, I got bombarded with, "Well, have you ever seen someone get praised for using non-SE?"

I mean...what?! How is that even a logical response?!

In a relationship with Eserel

Indebted Student

is gaia really serious with equinox?
do they need to make it a monthly evolution just to add one ******** pose? even the recolors are worse than the original.
they will make the last evo the surprise... but this doesn't excuse the one-year waiting.
I predict blunder of the year.

Aekea Scarface

So, I'm getting kind of annoyed in my linguistics class this semester. It seems that the teacher will dismiss anything disagreeing with her unless you have a mountain of evidence to back up your claim. On the other hand, if you have only small hearsay evidence for something she agrees with, you're fine. It just seems like a big double standard.

For example, we got on a brief tangent on the clicks in Xhosa. I told her I was learning them and that for the Q-click, you hold the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth and quickly pull back. She goes, "No..." After telling her that this came directly from a native speaker of Xhosa, she completely ignored me.

I don't feel that I've learned much in the class. A lot of arguments go down like this:
Student -- "I think the sky is blue because of light and reflection."
Teacher -- "Well, the sky can also be red. Therefore, your point is invalid. Also, you have no evidence to support your claim. Therefore, your point is double-invalid."

It's like she just nitpicks at the tiniest details and claims that it makes the entire argument bad. Obviously, she's not that bad about it. But, it sure seems that way at times.

In a relationship with t3h marth

Versatile Shapeshifter

I'm super ******** tired right now and haven't gotten my presentation done that's due Tuesday and I'm practicing with my group tomorrow night and I'm busy during the day and it's not even 9 and I want to sleep and maybe I'll just go to bed and quickly whip something up like the hr before we practice

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

Alien Invader

i started playing dragon age origins cause it was just sitting in my brother's room
it is so horrifyingly bad
but i keep playing it?

anything to avoid studying it seems lol

Dailanie 's Waifu

Generous Fashionista

Yeah, the graphics in DA:O are terrible but I kind of liked the story. Granted it's been years since I last played it.

Anxious Fairy

19,815 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
I tried DA:O but I disliked the gameplay.

Fishy Trash

❥•❥•❥•
    This is displeasing, as Dragon Age has been one of the games I always wanted to try out.
    Or maybe that is good, because it means I haven't been missing anything? lol

Anxious Fairy

19,815 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
I understand that the people who love it, love it a lot... I just don't. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items