Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ghostly Phantom

I know this movie has been out for a while, but I've just decided to vent a bit of rage.
I loved the movie. The only things I didn't like about it was the rap music, and the review People magazine gave it. Whoever wrote the review obviously never read the book first, because the review shows complete lack of understanding of the movie. They thought it's about some stereotypical "star crossed" love affair between Gatsby and Daisy, which in fact it is not. It's supposed to be about the American dream, and a man who was in love with a girl who just loved money more and, as the speaker of the movie states, Daisy is one of those people who will make a mess then leave others to pick up the pieces. I thought that the movie stayed true to the book very well and was actually disappointed to have nothing to complain about it. It got everything right, especially the most important details, and if you haven't seen it, I highly reccomend seeing it when it comes out.

Ruthless Pyromaniac

14,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Heckler 50
mrgreen TESTIFY! mrgreen
I was wondering why it didn't do so well either, I LOVED the movie. I can't wait for it to come out in Blu ray!

Unbeatable Pirate

9,825 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
Seriously, it was an awesome movie! It doesn't deserve the bad reviews. That would be like slapping the book in its face.

Interesting Blob

If I had seen it i might have liked it.

Invisible Humorist

i saw the old one...

Westice's Honey Bun

Obsessive Bibliophile

28,575 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Mark Twain 100
BarnOwl6-5
Seriously, it was an awesome movie! It doesn't deserve the bad reviews. That would be like slapping the book in its face.

The only thang I didn't like was when Gatsby, like, told Nick about his bootlegging and junk. I thought that Nick found it out from other routes than Gatsby-- the rumors, Mr. Gatz, Gatsby's father, and all that-- about what the man did, and how he got his money. I personally find that more intriguing.

Other than that, though, good movie. Liked it more than I expected to, with DiCaprio as Gatsby.
I loved the movie, I loved the book, but Scott's other book, "This Side Of Paradise" was boring. Like a slow Gatsby.

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
I saw a lot of trailers for this one and then didn't hear much about it once it was in theaters.

Was it really that bad? o.o I haven't seen it. I honestly had completely forgotten about that one.

Lonely Knight

unfortunitly i haven't seen the movie yet but i recall reading the book back in high school and i agree, it was about the American Dream
i hardly listen to those reviews, i perfer to see it myself before making an assumption on if i'll like it or not.
i just wish i had time to see all these movies i want to see.

Interesting Blob

Aquatic_blue
I saw a lot of trailers for this one and then didn't hear much about it once it was in theaters.

Was it really that bad? o.o I haven't seen it. I honestly had completely forgotten about that one.

No, it was good. Apparently.

Scary Lover

19,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
Yeah I was pissed that there was contemporary music from our time in that movie. I wanted to hear something more like Helen Kane or something.

Really? I guess some bad reviews were to be expected, especially from people who might not have read the book... :/ I love the new movie version and so does my mom. My grandma though, surprisingly didn't like it and my boyfriend did. lol XD

Ruthless Pyromaniac

14,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Heckler 50
Aquatic_blue

No, it's not bad. It was really great. That's why we're complaining, cuz it didn't get the reviews and recognition it deserved.
I read a negative review that stated it was too much like a story book. emotion_facepalm

I loved the movie and love the book. Both are fantastic.

Invisible Lunatic

There.. were a lot of things wrong between the book and the movie, which few of you seem to realize? I don't really read a lot of critic's views on things, but I can see why they might have some issues with the series.

Apart from the changes; Like OP mentioned, the soundtrack was amazingly bad. Stress on the word amazingly. I can't say literally because it's an opinion, but if I could I would. Otherwise, I personally felt the movie was pretty good. If I had not read the book, I would have really enjoyed the film save the score.

Continuing on with the differences of the book to the movie;

I wont' list them out in bullet form, because ti's not a subject that really matters a lot to me, but..;

There were a lot of issues with character back story, history, and personalities that were not touched upon, or so horrendously rushed that it made the movie.. present itself as poorly done, and rushed, in regards to anything other than the visuals and acting in regards to what the actors were given to work with.

I think the actors did an amazing job with what they were given by Luhrmann, but I'm also very aware of how critics could see the issues Luhrmann's take on Gatsby would give it a low rating. It wasn't a fantastic book-to-movie creation, just a rushed one that looked really pretty and had some wonderful actors. The more DiCaprio does, the more I like him. The others in the film really made the movie.. but Luhrmann just didn't pull through the deeper areas of the book and into the movie.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff