Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Gaian

5,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
Hey Guys && Girls.

I don't know if this is the right forum. But here it goes. I am wondering if anyone here has ever had Gastric Bypass/Band Surgery.

I am coming to the point where I give up and just want to find something quick and with good results. My mum doesn't agree with it as it can be very risky but I see the way I am going my whole life is at risk.

I have already put on 2 stone since January this year and my eating habits have gone crazy!!! I'm forever hungry and binging...

I have tried many diet pills, joined countless gyms and done ever so many diets/healthy eating etc and most I have lost was a stone and a half and even that took well over a few months. I feel I have come to the point where I look at myself in disgust. So much disgust that it's put me into suicidal mode.

The doctors say I am not big enough to get the surgery on the NHS (I'm from the UK) but I just feel like they are saying that because it's more money for them to fork out...although I work and pay my taxes... (I haven't got 8-15k to pay for this surgeryyyy!)

But anyways yeah I need to know if....:

1. Is it hard to adapt to a gastric band/bypass surgery?
2. How painful was the process?
3. How much weight did you lose?
4. Was there any complications?
5. Did you have to pay for surgery or were you a good enough candidate.

Would love to hear your opinions and stories...thanks for taking the time to read this smile

Distinct Genius

It's calories in, calories out with clean eating

look more into how much you're eating and what you're eating, and if you're putting your body into starvation by not giving it enough

when you're "bigger", your body naturally requires more calories because you burn more energy

so it's an eventual lowering of calories, not a sudden change

it's consistent activity matched with a clean diet

4-5 days of exercise with 1 hour a day without periods of excessive rest (e.g sitting on a sofa for like 4 hours doing jack s**t)

with a clean diet (lean meats, low carbs, high nutrition)

^^^

all of those should be done correctly before you consider having gastric surgery, because it is high risk and it doesn't teach you anything about lifestyle choices

you'll just eat the same shitty foods / remain in your inactive lifestyle and eventually relapse

Alien Invader

I know only one young girl who's ever gotten it and she had a significant amount of weight to loose. Unless you're so big you can barely move or it's hurting your frame then the odds of getting gastric bypass are pretty slim.
The risks aren't worth it nor the extra skin you'll be gifted with for your quick fix.
Surgery is a terrible idea. It's not a fix and, even if it helps, it's only temporary. Changing the way you look through surgery doesn't change your choices and your lifestyle: You're going to spend tons of money only to end up looking exactly as you do now.

If you honestly want change, stop looking for these fad diets and look into nutrition and fitness.

Some good documentaries I would recommend for some nutritional educated are "Hungry For Change" and "Forks over Knives".

For fitness, weight-loss specifically, do a lot of cardio. Running, biking, swimming, P90X, Insanity...
Do burpees (Eight-Counts, whatever you want to call them), jumping jacks, jump rope. Be active and do things that get your heart racing.

Stay hydrated. Drinking water alone will help you lose weight. You might gain a pound or two when you start, but don't worry: That's water weight. It means you're properly hydrated. Drinking water keeps your metabolism working and helps you lose weight. You will also "flush out" the bad stuff your body holds on to and has no use for.

Eat foods like sugar snap peas, carrots and celery for a snack. They provide fewer calories than it burns to digest them, causing a caloric deficit.

Don't only watch what you eat, but how much you eat. You can have a salad from a restaurant, but if it's a 1000 calorie salad you're fooling yourself if you think you're going to lose weight. Yes, eating healthy foods is good. But it doesn't do you any good if you're eating too much. "Too much of a good thing" easily turns bad.

Watch your snacks. Celery is good, but adding something simple like a tablespoon of peanut butter just turned a 35 calorie snack into 250 calorie snack. If you eat more than one serving that could turn into a 500 calorie snack.

Stay the hell away from diet sodas. Diet sodas are the ******** devil on steroids. They contain "aspartame" which triggers your body to produce insulin. Insulin is what your body uses to store fat. It stores fat by taking sugar away from your blood, causing low blood sugar. Low blood sugar makes you hungry and crave something sweet. Craving sweet things makes you eat cake, cookies, candy, soda... whatever. This is why you're fat in the first place.

Stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup. If it says "Diet" or "No sugar" or if it's one of those Arizona Ice Tea drinks, or any vending-machine juice you can just assume that it has either High Fructose Corn Syrup or aspartame in it.

Avoid fast food.

Don't be around foods that made you fat. Surround yourself with healthier choices.

Tipsy Businesswoman

My aunt had the surgery done many years ago, and has since regained all the lost weight along with MANY MANY medical problems. I'm not sure if any of the medical problems were pre-existing, however. I do know that she no longer can enjoy any type of meat, pasta, bread, or even certain vegetables. Her stomach simply cannot digest it (or it gets caught in her esophagus because of the band that was put in place...), so she has to throw it back up. This has led to many ulcers and a lot of dental problems as the stomach acid can and will wear down your enamel.

It's simply not worth the risk. There is no quick fix to losing weight without serious repercussions.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Yeshh
My aunt had the surgery done many years ago, and has since regained all the lost weight along with MANY MANY medical problems. I'm not sure if any of the medical problems were pre-existing, however. I do know that she no longer can enjoy any type of meat, pasta, bread, or even certain vegetables. Her stomach simply cannot digest it (or it gets caught in her esophagus because of the band that was put in place...), so she has to throw it back up. This has led to many ulcers and a lot of dental problems as the stomach acid can and will wear down your enamel.

It's simply not worth the risk. There is no quick fix to losing weight without serious repercussions.

Christ on a cracker, that's awful! gonk

Makes me think my therapist was trying to kill me by recommending gastric bypass surgery.

Tipsy Businesswoman

Super Fightin Prototype
Yeshh

Makes me think my therapist was trying to kill me by recommending gastric bypass surgery.

Bwahaha, a lot of people aren't aware of the negative effects it can have on a person. I'm sure he wasn't trying to kill you, silly.

Also, the surgery isn't the same as it was when my aunt had it done. So who knows! Maybe it is safer now :3 I still wouldn't recommend though~

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
My cousin is having this surgery this month. Honestly, I love her, but I doubt she'll be committed to the diet they put you on afterwards. I foresee her being one of those who gains the weight back in a heartbeat. A friend of mine had this surgery, too (even though she didn't need it because she wasn't fat and had to travel to like Mexico to get it done because of that), and she's doing fine. But, she also followed the diet, and, as I said, wasn't fat to begin with.

Bashful Streaker

I wouldn't do it. I've heard so many bad stories of it. Hire a personal trainer and see a nutritionist instead.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Yeshh
Super Fightin Prototype
Yeshh

Bwahaha, a lot of people aren't aware of the negative effects it can have on a person. I'm sure he wasn't trying to kill you, silly.

Also, the surgery isn't the same as it was when my aunt had it done. So who knows! Maybe it is safer now :3 I still wouldn't recommend though~

She used to work with super morbidly obese adolescents so I would sort of expect her to have some degree of knowledge on this sort of thing rather than just suggest it to me without mentioning how invasive the procedure is.

Friendly Gaian

5,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
Thanks for the advice everyone. It seems to me I need to rethink of other ways to slim down. I have now rejoined a gym and go 2/3 times a week. I just need a way to help to boost my eating down. Has anyone tried herbalife? X

Tipsy Businesswoman

Good decision! :3

I have heard many a good thing about herbalife. A co-worker of mine has be following it strictly, and has since lost (I think) 10 inches. It does give you results as long as you're willing to not only "diet" but to also change your lifestyle.

It's hard work. You just need the willpower and the motivation. You can do it, girlie.

EDIT:
It definitely helps to have a dieting partner. To, you know, help keep each other in check.

Profitable Conversationalist

7,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Well this is going to be awkward.... I am a Gastric Bypass patient out about 6 years and am a mother of an active healthy 3 year old. I have very few health risks in comparrison to my previous body and don't really have too many problems with food with the exception of heavy oils and fried foods which you shouldn't eat anyway...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That was me and is me now...

Profitable Conversationalist

7,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
As to your questions...

1. Is it hard to adapt to a gastric band/bypass surgery?
Well mine was once it's done to you it's done. It's not about adapting really as it was this is how I live now. I prepared for three months prior to surgery by letting go of the toxic food and intergrating as much excersize as I could given my condition.

2. How painful was the process?
The first three days were the worst, then you just pick up and move on. If you move during your recovery the painlessens.

3. How much weight did you lose?
At my lowest 190lbs put some back on due to a pregnancy and am now at a 180lb weight loss.

4. Was there any complications?
Nope

5. Did you have to pay for surgery or were you a good enough candidate.
No my insurance covered it

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces