heart heart

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
heart heart

Friendly Fairy

Hey, nice topic! I'm a skater and coach for the Paris Rollergirls, and used to skate with the Windy City Rollers in Chicago (currently ranked in the 10-ten teams in the USA). I also was one of the coaches for Team France in the Roller Derby World Cup that was held in Toronto 2 months ago. Obviously, I'm more than a little into derby, and I'm glad to see some more fellow derby players and fans here on Gaia! 4laugh

PS - I've been praying that Gaia will give us a roller derby item one of these days... think they'll ever do it??

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PixieAlli
Hey, nice topic! I'm a skater and coach for the Paris Rollergirls, and used to skate with the Windy City Rollers in Chicago (currently ranked in the 10-ten teams in the USA). I also was one of the coaches for Team France in the Roller Derby World Cup that was held in Toronto 2 months ago. Obviously, I'm more than a little into derby, and I'm glad to see some more fellow derby players and fans here on Gaia! 4laugh

PS - I've been praying that Gaia will give us a roller derby item one of these days... think they'll ever do it??
Well they've got roller skates and fishnets and stuff. I actually think they might have knee and elbow pads as well as helmets.

Friendly Fairy

PukeFacedFreak
Well they've got roller skates and fishnets and stuff. I actually think they might have knee and elbow pads as well as helmets.

Yeah I'm wearing the only roller skates I could find (the pink "clutch roller blades" do NOT COUNT)... but the vast majority of roller derby skates are black, not white, and the knee pads are pretty goofy looking. I have a roller derby avy, hang on lemme go put it on...

Friendly Fairy

There's my derby avy! There are no decent derby-style helmets either, so the best I could come up with is this black visor?! rofl

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
Well, it's cute. It shows you can be creative. biggrin

Friendly Fairy

emotion_kirakira

Friendly Fairy

I'm sorry if I'm always here when everyone else is away - I live in Paris so I'm about 8-10 hrs ahead of the rest of Gaia users! cat_gonk

Friendly Fairy

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PixieAlli
I'm sorry if I'm always here when everyone else is away - I live in Paris so I'm about 8-10 hrs ahead of the rest of Gaia users! cat_gonk

Well, there aren't actually people here often. Sometimes I'll come to bump but since the thread is new and it's a little hard to find people with this same interest to come here, it's a bit slow.
Hey everyone, sorry that I'm never here. I kind of fail as a thread owner. (Puke, THANK YOU THAN YOU THANK YOU for you the bumping and conversating. You rock!)

One of the reasons I haven't been in is because I have been crazy busy between work and school and everything. The other reason is *sigh* I've been taking a necessary break from skating. I just can't commit enough of my time to the team and I didn't want to be one of those sort of flaky team members who show up to practice only once in a great while. Sooo, I've taken sort of a "leave of absence" from the derby world.

BUT, I still love the sport and do intend to return at some point when I can manage it and just cos I'm not currently skating doesn't mean I can't still talk about derby.

BIG WELCOME to new people who've apparently joined the conversation since I was last here. (Hurray! Gaia is not as void of derby fans/skaters/people who know derby is as I thought it was!)
SakuraNMitsuki
Any good team suggestions? College is going to have me moving.
Also I need some better skating sites than just WFTDA and I would actually enjoy watching more than youtube videos on bouts. Any suggestions?

Welcome, and apologies for the late response. Junior roller leagues baffle me a bit. The derby world as I know it is a pretty adult realm. When I first started skating just being under 21 caused me some difficulties. Not being able to get into events I helped plan etc...but as the sport gets bigger and becomes more legitimate I expect we'll see younger and younger people getting into it.

As far as watching derby online there's always Derby News Network for watching bouts, and it's not a bad resource for information.

As far as team suggestions. Where are you moving?
HiddenHijinx
Hey all. I've been playing derby about two years now. I started with Sandusky Roller Girls of Sandusky, OH, and recently transferred to the Burning River Roller Girls of Cleveland, OH. Love every minute of it. ;]

Anyone watch nationals over the weekend?
What are your thoughts?

Personally, I'm always floored by the skill of skaters of that caliber. Always. *_*

Welcome and apologies for the late response. Wish I'd been checking in regularly to catch this! I too am always AMAZED when watching skaters of that level. Skating/derby did not come easily to me at all, and I've still got a lot to learn. Those girls make it look SO easy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff