I skate therefore...

I AM. 0.20754716981132 20.8% [ 11 ]
I'm bruised. 0.28301886792453 28.3% [ 15 ]
I'm awesome. 0.37735849056604 37.7% [ 20 ]
0.13207547169811 13.2% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 53 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 20 21 > >>

User Image

Welcome to Pack Mentality, the Roller Derby thread.

This is the place for you if: you play or are involved in the sport of roller derby in any capacity , (be it as a skater, ref, non skating official, or anything of that sort), you are seriously interested in getting involved in the sport of roller derby, or you enjoy the sport as a spectator/fan. You know what roller derby is.

Page One Table of Contents:
1. Welcome
2. Why don’t you introduce yourself?
3. Topic Suggestions
4. Topics to Avoid
5-11. FAQ
12. Current Derby Rankings
13. Beginner’s resources
14. The regulars and their leagues.
Why don’t you introduce yourself?

User Image

When you post in this thread, I'd really appreciate it if you'd include a brief introduction in your first reply. This is just a basic guideline, but helpful information would be your age, sex, location and how you are involved in derby. Are you a skater? If so, who do you skate for and how long have you been skating? A fan? Who’s your favorite team or league? You do not need to include your derby name, but you may if you wish. I do not recommend that you post your derby name if it has not been registered yet.
Topic suggestions

1. Current Events in derby: Derby news, stats and rankings, recent or coming bouts, etc.

2. Derby tips: Skating tips, general fitness tips, skate and/or gear care and maintenance tips, basically any derby related info that you think is useful.

3. Questions: Questions about specific rules and procedures, help choosing gear or mastering a specific derby move, or any general derby questions that you feel are relevant. I do ask that you please READ THE FAQ before you pose your question as it may have already been covered.

4. Derby Gear: Did you just get some cool new s**t? Are you dying to brag? You are in the right place. You‘re welcome to tell us all about your awesome new derby gear. You can even post pictures for us to drool over.

5. Intelligent debate about the direction in which the sport is moving: Is derby empowering for women? Will we ever be taken seriously if we continue to give ourselves silly names?

6. Banked Track vs. Flat track: Pros and cons of banked and flat tracks.

8. Derby names: The best derby name you’ve ever heard, help choosing your name, how to register your name etc.

9. Derby Culture: Derby con, trends in derby, books and movies about derby.

10. The challenges involved with starting/running/being part of a league or team.

User Image
Topics to Avoid

User Image

1. The movie Whip It Alright, I guess this is OK.

2. How hot you think derby girls are. You know what, if you can be respectful, I'm cool with discussions about how hot derby chicks are. Just you know, tasteful stuff guys. Nothing offensive.

3. Basic questions about the sport that are covered in the FAQ.

4. Insults, unnecessary hostility, drama. Just don’t do it, please.
Frequently Asked Questions

User ImageUser Image

Q: What is flat track roller derby?
A: (Taken straight from the WFTDA website)
Quote:
Flat track roller derby is a fast-paced contact team sport that requires speed, strategy, and athleticism. The flat track version of the sport evolved in 2001, and has quickly grown to encompass more than 400 leagues worldwide. This is in large part due to the ease of setting up a flat track--it can be done on any flat surface that is suitable for skating, such as skating rinks, basketball courts, parking lots, and even airplane hangars. This greatly reduces the capital needed to start up a roller derby league, and allows small groups of people to get a fledgling league off the ground. The DIY spirit that drives the sport allows roller derby leagues to create their own unique identities and adapt their structures to reflect their local communities.
Q: If roller derby is played on a flat track, then why does the movie Whip It show a banked track?

User Image

A: Some leagues do still use a banked track, but 98% skate on a flat track. Why? Well, it costs between 30 and 40 thousand dollars to build a banked track, which you then need a permanent place to keep (which costs even more money). Banked tracks are also difficult to transport. A flat track can be assembled on any flat surface that is suitable for skating (see question one) for less than a hundred dollars, with tape measures, duck tape and nylon rope.
Q: How is flat track roller derby played and what are the rules?

User Image User Image User Image

A: The WFTDA (Women’s Flat Track Derby Association) have created a standard set of rules by which 95% of derby bouts are played. You can download and read them here. Or, if you’re just looking for a quick introduction, you can also watch this handy two minute you tube video.

A note about the video. Some people will object to the statement that derby players wear gear and “not much else”. Not everyone who plays derby wears fishnets and a skirt. Derby players dress for safety and comfort. “Comfort” has a different meaning to everyone. In fact, more commonly you’ll see shorts and thick dance tights to prevent rink rash. Many girls dress in sports/work out style clothing because, you guessed it, it’s a sport.

Q: Is roller derby real?

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

A: (Taken straight from the WFTDA website)
Quote:
The roller derby you may have watched in the 70s and early 80s was often scripted and rehearsed. The roller derby of today is real and is thought of as more of a sport than a spectacle. The skaters involved are athletes and take the sport very seriously. They train hard every week and wear their bruises and scars with pride. One reason there are so many referees rolling around is to enforce the rules, which are in place to protect athletes' safety and preserve fairness. Among other things, skaters are not allowed to elbow, punch, grab, head butt, trip, or shove the opposing team. There are still plenty of hard hits, hard falls, and fast action.
Q: Is roller derby dangerous?

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
A: (Taken Straight from the Derby News Network website)
Quote:

Like any contact sport, participants in modern roller derby may experience physical injury. Bumps, bruises, and scrapes are fairly universal, and many derby girls look on them as badges of honor. More serious injuries can include broken limbs and tailbones, separated shoulders, and ligament tears, particularly in the knees.
To minimize these risks, skaters practice injury-avoidance techniques like falling correctly, and work on strength and conditioning to ensure they're in good enough shape to take the beating. A typical roller derby practice session consists of less than 50% scrimmage activity, and focuses more on basic skills, strength, endurance, and safety.
Derby skaters also wear a protective equipment to prevent serious injury. Modern derby rule sets (and insurance providers) require skaters to wear helmets, mouth guards, elbow pads, wrist guards, and knee pads. Some skaters elect to wear additional protection, such as tailbone protectors or padded shorts.
For a little perspective, it's worth pointing out that cheerleading remains the most dangerous sport girls commonly engage in today.

Q: Why do the skaters use funny, fake names?

A: (Taken straight from the DNN website)
Quote:
Modern derby skaters customarily adopt an alias, or "derby name." Initially meant to complement the over-the-top spectacle envisioned by the Austin revival's progenitors, the names have stuck even as modern roller derby quickly evolved toward pure competitive sport.
Why? It keeps the whimsy in the activity. It's a way of not taking oneself too seriously, even while taking the sport seriously. In a nutshell: it's fun! Really, if you have to ask, you probably aren't going to get it.
A handful of skaters have elected to skate under their legal name, rather than an alias, often out of a desire to further emphasize the modern sport's legitimacy. That may become a trend; it may not. The young sport of modern roller derby is still very much a work in progress, so only time will tell.

In my opinion, using an alias also allows the women involved in the sport to be let go of their lives out side of roller derby. This is generally a sort of grassroots, do-it-yourself, not-for-profit sport. That means most of these girls have day jobs. They have families. Adopting an alias is a way of telling yourself “When I’m on the track, I am not Sally May the florist or Linda Sue the nurse. I’m The ******** Duchess of Pain! HEAR ME ROAR!”

Also, derby is a very small community. These girls know each other. They are skating against acquaintances, friends, and sometimes even relatives. When you’re about to throw a hip or a shoulder at someone, it’s helpful to think of them as The Wicked b***h of the West rather then your best friend’s sister Amy who once held your hair back while you vomited.

In any case, choosing an alias is totally optional.
Q: This all sounds awesome. How can I get involved in roller derby?
User Image

A: Try going to DerbyRoster.com to find the league closest to you. Find out when their next bout is and go check it out. If you still want to play derby after that, go for it. The derby community in my experience is always very welcoming to new skaters. Leagues do vary in how they handle new recruits. Some require you to try out, then go through a lengthy fresh meat or intern period before you can be drafted to a team. Other leagues, generally newer leagues or those with few players, will let you join a team as soon as you pass your minimum skills assessment.
The Regulars and Their Leagues

PukeFacedFreak: Derby spectator and our first regular. She's here more than I am.
User Image

PixieAllie: Resident derby girl. She's also here more than I am.
User Image

note: If you become a regular, I will add you to this list and post an appropriate photo of your choice. Appropriate photos include but are not limited to, your league or team logo, a photo of you skating, a photo of your skates, a photo of you in your gear or your team’s merchandise. I will not post a link to your quest thread, or any thread for that matter. I may post a link to your league's website.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff