Welcome to Gaia! ::

What did you think of Phantom of the Opera the 2004 film?

It was amazing I cried my brains out! 0.26190476190476 26.2% [ 22 ]
It was awsome, but I didn't cry 0.42857142857143 42.9% [ 36 ]
It was really good, about Average 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 12 ]
eh, it was ok 0.083333333333333 8.3% [ 7 ]
Not really into it 0.011904761904762 1.2% [ 1 ]
I hated it that movie sucks! 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I didn't see it 0.071428571428571 7.1% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 84 ]
< 1 2

I saw the musical first. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

5,750 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Forum Explorer 100
Thought the broadway version was better, saw it last summer in Las Vegas and it was way better than the movie. The point of no return was off in the movie. smile

8,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Autobiographer 200
BlackRose108
What did u guys think of the movie?
It's one of my all time favorites! I really want to see the play someday.

I feel THE SAME WAY!!!!! They chose the perfect cast, the sets were amazing, and the music was THE BEST!!! One of the best movies i have ever seen! heart heart heart heart

10,300 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
I love the movie, I can watch it over and over. Patrick Wilson is my favorite part.
Emmy was gorgeous in it and her voice is perfect for Christine.
Gerard was a wonderful surprise. When he sings 'Music of the Night' and gets to 'The darkness of the music of the night', he hits the notes so perfectly. That low note reverberates so sexy.
I really wish I could see it on stage. I love Broadway so I would probably love it no matter what.

7,350 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
BlackRose108
What did u guys think of the movie?
It's one of my all time favorites! I really want to see the play someday.
I do too!

Citizen

I had to say eh. I am fortunate in living close enough to NYC, so I have seen the Broadway...twice, I think, although one time was when I was pretty young. The movie was great for letting the viewer actually onstage to see what it was like there, although the musical does a great job of that too.

Like Catherine de Silver said, the sets, costumes, and camera angles were really strong, especially in the Masquerade (although I was a little underwhelmed by Mr. I-just-switched-my-black-clothes-for-red-ones-and-put-on-a-full-mask Red Death...so much wasted potential!)

The most important part of musical movies for me, though, is the singing, and I personally didn't think any of the main three's voices really fit their roles. They were good singers for being actors, but considering two of the three's voices are supposed to be unnaturally beautiful and technically close to perfection...taking that into consideration, Raoul's voice actually bothered me the least, considering he's just a vicomte, not an opera singer.

TL;DR -- Some good, but mostly ehh.

Liberal Conversationalist

12,600 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Millionaire 200
I loved that movie. smile

I really want to see it live on stage, I saw Love Never Dies (The sequel) on the West End a few months back, and it was INCREDIBLE! So I really do need to see the original show on stage.

Blessed Gaian

9,700 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
it was a good movie but the music I keep comparing to the first original cast on broadway with Sarah Brightman singing. So good movie but not a good musical then again I can sing so I guess it was ok for me.

Ruthless Lover

8,375 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I thought the movie was brilliant. The music is amazing! It gets boring from time to time when you listen to it over and over again but I still love it. I also saw the broadway and in some parts the movie was better, like the crashing of the chandelier was better in the movie than the play. Other than that the play is actually better. It's better to see something performed cause it means so much more than a movie you can watch a dozen times.

Dapper Codger

The music in this movie was heart . I've had it on replay on my iPod for quite some time now.

5,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
I thought it was great, my first introduction to phantom, but i have to say, i like sarah brighton as christine more than i do the girl who did christine in the movie... oh well =P it was good, though
It really can't/shouldn't be compared to the musical, the styles of music/singing/acting etc are to different audiences.

I love the film in its own right, and without it I would have never known the book or the musical
idk. luv every thing about phantom, including books, musicals, ect. as with everything, theres some stuff i didnt like but im not gonna get into that cuz i loved it anyway. BTW, Gerard has not aged well.

Friendly Cat

8,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Definitely a really good musical! biggrin
I enjoyed it for various reasons. As a movie adaptation it was well put together.

I don't like to compare it to te stage performance, since its two different things, but visually the movie was beautiful. I have to say, there's been something different with each portrayal of each Phantom I became smitten with, I think regarding the movie, Gerard did great getting the rock side of PotO a bit more opportunity. He had the gruff distraught feeling that came across well.

My only bit of confusion regarding the movie is why did they have poor Ramin make such a small cameo instead of giving him the main roll? XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff